It is currently Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Penguins Regular Season Thread 2018-19
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:55 pm
Posts: 5138
Hacksaw Jim Duggan wrote:
So, it's come to this.

A few years ago the Lightning very clearly knew it just wasn't going to happen. What did they do? They traded some roster players, retooled, and now here they are. They're primed and ready to go on another big run.

I look at the Penguins roster, and it's on a turd level that reminds me of 2014. Or even the 2006 team with washed up stars (sans Mario), a young Sid, and a bunch of trash.


Here are some things I'd do immediately and in the near future.

1. Play Daniel Sprong in the top 6.

What does the organization have to lose by doing this? About 7 of their last 8 games? See what you have in this guy. If you don't have anything, you'll probably know by then. He's the only obviously talented player on the roster. Let's see him. I'd fire Sullivan tomorrow if I could based on this bit of mental retardation. It's more likely than not that Sprong isn't anything special, but to play chodes like Wilson over him...


2. Trade Riley Sheahan; have Teddy Blueger take his place.

Addition by subtraction. A fifth round pick would be fine. I'd take less. What a blessing he wasn't signed long term. Holy shit. He's been terrible offensively and defensively.


3. Trade one of the defensemen. Even better, trade at least 3 of them.

Jack Johnson is a beta. I'm done with Maatta. Shoot Oleksiak into space.

I'd do so much more.


Agree with most of what you said.

Sprong is in Sully's doghouse and you don't ever come out. See Ian Cole and Ryan Reaves for examples.

Unsure what's up w/ Sheahan. Last year he played pretty well...unsure what happened to him this year. He needs to be sat.

The defense actually isn't as horrible as we're making it out to be. Johnson seems to be ok with letang babysitting him. Olek and Maata seem to be serviceable. Not saying it's the best group but they are holding the fort. If the offense (secondary players) would score more, we'd be ok

_________________
#CdnSteelerFanStrong


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Penguins Regular Season Thread 2018-19
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:55 pm
Posts: 5138
12. Okay, some other stuff: sounds like Pittsburgh tried to get its hands on Brandon Montour from Anaheim. Don’t think the Ducks are interested. He’s a talented guy. Someone who does fit their profile? Jakob Silfverberg, a pending UFA. Entering Saturday’s game in Ottawa, 41 of the Penguins’ 46 goals from forwards came out of their top six.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31- ... -playoffs/

_________________
#CdnSteelerFanStrong


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Penguins Regular Season Thread 2018-19
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:43 pm
Posts: 972
He'd be a really strong addition, especially if you can move out a crap defender or three in other deals.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Penguins Regular Season Thread 2018-19
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:43 pm
Posts: 972
Really hard to pinpoint goaltending as a major issue when the team is just a tire fire in all three zones. This is a pretty heavy schematic problem, and the more it happens, the more I just want the coaching staff gone. I proposed a soft reset this year, which would include a pretty nice top-10 or so draft pick, but I'm not sure much will change next year with personnel on the ice and behind the bench. If that's the case, then really nothing much will change with game results. Crosby can only carry the team to victories so much, and minus a goal or two from the bottom 6, nothing has really changed from two or three weeks ago. This team is more skilled than the heavy, slower teams, but they don't think the game well, especially the low-IQ defense, and when they have to go up against teams with speed, that's when they get burned.

The more JR makes moves, the more it just seems like coincidence that his great moves worked so well. He got Daley because his industry buddy talked him up and he always kinda wanted Daley. Seems kind of random. For every Carl Hagelin, there's a Ryan Reaves. He hired Mike Johnston. Matt Hunwick was signed. Jack Johnson.

The scariest thing is how ineffective Brassard has been when asked to step up. Did the Penguins not foresee his talent not gelling with Kessel? What did they do to give him complementary wingers? To me, Brassard was a guy that I hoped his talent would just overcome any "fit" problems. That's OK for a fan to do. It's not OK for a general manager to do. They should have asked themselves about the traits that made a guy like Bonino so effective at that spot.

Then there's the obvious. Again, Jack Johnson. Signing Rust to an extension. Instead of bringing up call-ups, using veterans all the time. Really simple management/coaching decisions that would make the team better in the long run, this staff isn't doing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Penguins Regular Season Thread 2018-19
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:55 pm
Posts: 2444
Matt Murray is back practicing. Guess his *MASSIVE air quotes* "lower body injury" is better.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Penguins Regular Season Thread 2018-19
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:55 pm
Posts: 5138
Hacksaw Jim Duggan wrote:
Really hard to pinpoint goaltending as a major issue when the team is just a tire fire in all three zones. This is a pretty heavy schematic problem, and the more it happens, the more I just want the coaching staff gone. I proposed a soft reset this year, which would include a pretty nice top-10 or so draft pick, but I'm not sure much will change next year with personnel on the ice and behind the bench. If that's the case, then really nothing much will change with game results. Crosby can only carry the team to victories so much, and minus a goal or two from the bottom 6, nothing has really changed from two or three weeks ago. This team is more skilled than the heavy, slower teams, but they don't think the game well, especially the low-IQ defense, and when they have to go up against teams with speed, that's when they get burned.

The more JR makes moves, the more it just seems like coincidence that his great moves worked so well. He got Daley because his industry buddy talked him up and he always kinda wanted Daley. Seems kind of random. For every Carl Hagelin, there's a Ryan Reaves. He hired Mike Johnston. Matt Hunwick was signed. Jack Johnson.

The scariest thing is how ineffective Brassard has been when asked to step up. Did the Penguins not foresee his talent not gelling with Kessel? What did they do to give him complementary wingers? To me, Brassard was a guy that I hoped his talent would just overcome any "fit" problems. That's OK for a fan to do. It's not OK for a general manager to do. They should have asked themselves about the traits that made a guy like Bonino so effective at that spot.

Then there's the obvious. Again, Jack Johnson. Signing Rust to an extension. Instead of bringing up call-ups, using veterans all the time. Really simple management/coaching decisions that would make the team better in the long run, this staff isn't doing.


Eh I'm not going to rag on the Brassard trade- by all accounts he seemed to be a good fit for this team's style. Some players just don't fit the system no matter how much due diligence you uncover. On paper it was brilliant

Not going to rip the Rust thing too much because they thought he could replace Sheary's offense plus do the gritty stuff. Also not going to rag on the Hunwick thing because he seemed to fit like a glove until he got his brain bashed

Reaves and JJ though...wow yea those were baaaad signings where everyone and their brother immediately went "Huh?"

And there was ZERO reason to banish Cole and now Sprong. I mean NONE. This was pure ego by Sully and I'm hating him more and more as time passes.
He's got the same arrogance that Bylsma had

_________________
#CdnSteelerFanStrong


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Penguins Regular Season Thread 2018-19
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 18300
Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Matt Murray is back practicing. Guess his *MASSIVE air quotes* "lower body injury" is better.

to be fair, your balls are "lower body"

_________________
Fuck the Patriots.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Penguins Regular Season Thread 2018-19
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:55 pm
Posts: 2444
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Matt Murray is back practicing. Guess his *MASSIVE air quotes* "lower body injury" is better.

to be fair, your balls are "lower body"


Not if they haven't dropped yet.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Penguins Regular Season Thread 2018-19
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:43 pm
Posts: 972
Letang, Hornqvist, and Simon skating


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Penguins Regular Season Thread 2018-19
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:04 pm
Posts: 3555
Letang skating is miraculous. Man it looked like the knee was wrecked.

_________________
#CdnSteelerFanStrong


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Penguins Regular Season Thread 2018-19
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:43 pm
Posts: 972
I think Sid started slow but is having a great year. Malkin started fast and is kind of sucking. I was looking at the points leaders in the NHL today. Crosby is 20! points out of the lead. Now, I have no doubt both Sid and Geno will finish in the top-10 in scoring, but damn is it a bit upsetting that a Penguin isn't at the top of the scoring list. I don't see a situation in which either will win an Art Ross again. When it wasn't Gretzky, it was Lemieux. After Lemieux, it was Jagr. When Jagr moved on, Sid and Geno took over. The "what might have been" is tragic for both Lemieux and Crosby, and that's hard to say because they both had amazingly successful careers.

As of 12/22
Crosby 23rd in scoring - 38
Malkin 26th in scoring - 37

This all said, I have no problem with both coasting through the regular season. Crosby coasted big time last season, he still finished in the top 10 in scoring, and he had one of the best playoff runs of his career.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Penguins Regular Season Thread 2018-19
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:43 pm
Posts: 972
Bryan Rust has come alive, and it should come as no surprise that the team is shitting together some wins because of it. It's amazing what happens when a player actually doesn't suck balls and produces.

Malkin has been a piece of dogshit. Kessel looks disinterested.

The Penguins are absolutely bleeding shots. Guess it's good the goaltenders are making saves.

Is it shocking that the Penguins have given up two goals total in two games after Oleksiak's concussion?

If Pettersson can make Jack Johnson look not retarded, he deserves Norris votes. So far, he has been. I'll take that over what Sprong is doing for Anaheim right now.

Get rid of #3 and Oleksiak, and I may start believing in this team again.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Penguins Regular Season Thread 2018-19
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:04 pm
Posts: 3555
My problem with Malkin is he is not shooting the puck enough. His shots total per-game are down a shot a game. The other factor that has bothered me about him is that he has been a perimeter player since the end of October. He rarely takes the puck to the net or goes there when the puck is near the crease.

Funny thing, Malkin's game went South about the time Hagelin was traded. Sure Pearson and 71 had chemistry early but that faded.

What is shocking is that Malkin was second in the league in scoring after the first month. His FO % in all zones was up and he was playing well. Then it all went away. Like his game fell off a cliff.

Something is up with him.

The exact opposite happened with Crosby. He was MIA the first month. He looked like he didn't care then he came back from the slight injury and has been at the top of his game.

As far as a Penguin player winning the scoring title again, that has probably passed the current roster. Sure, it wouldn't surprise me if Crosby won another one or two before he hangs is up and Malkin was in contention to win the title last year except he faded the last 6 games or so.

_________________
#CdnSteelerFanStrong


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Penguins Regular Season Thread 2018-19
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:04 pm
Posts: 3555
Horny has ANOTHER concussion and ZAR is on the injured reserve list for a good while with a hand issue. Two of our most physical forwards.
This makes me wonder, will Sully dress Oleksiak now for a physical presence?

_________________
#CdnSteelerFanStrong


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Penguins Regular Season Thread 2018-19
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:55 pm
Posts: 5138
fractalsteel wrote:
Horny has ANOTHER concussion and ZAR is on the injured reserve list for a good while with a hand issue. Two of our most physical forwards.
This makes me wonder, will Sully dress Oleksiak now for a physical presence?


Probably
Which would a very stupid idea

_________________
#CdnSteelerFanStrong


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Penguins Regular Season Thread 2018-19
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:55 pm
Posts: 5138
As we all guessed: BRass is all but gone

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31- ... -deadline/

_________________
#CdnSteelerFanStrong


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Penguins Regular Season Thread 2018-19
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:55 pm
Posts: 2444
Donnie Brasco wrote:
As we all guessed: BRass is all but gone

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31- ... -deadline/


Unfortunate, but necessary.

I liked the pickup at the time, but he clearly isn't working. He looks completely lost at times.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Penguins Regular Season Thread 2018-19
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:55 pm
Posts: 5138
Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:
As we all guessed: BRass is all but gone

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31- ... -deadline/


Unfortunate, but necessary.

I liked the pickup at the time, but he clearly isn't working. He looks completely lost at times.


Yup- on paper this was a no brainer trade

But Brass just hasn't meshed with this team or any combination of linemmates since he's been here

_________________
#CdnSteelerFanStrong


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Penguins Regular Season Thread 2018-19
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:08 pm
Posts: 7453
So.

I haven't watched any penguin hockey but highlights. Skimmed the threads here.

What's the best group think about where this team is headed? Surprisingly enough, I think the fury hockey brain trust is more sensible and level headed than its opinion of the steelers. For now.

Anyway, I'd love for the hockey gurus here to give me some clear and concise evaluation of the 2018-19 Pittsburgh Penguins.

Thanks in advance.

_________________
"I wish Fraudlin would get testicular cancer and die after he watches me anally penetrate his wife."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Penguins Regular Season Thread 2018-19
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:13 pm
Posts: 2070
Donnie Brasco wrote:
Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:
As we all guessed: BRass is all but gone

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31- ... -deadline/


Unfortunate, but necessary.

I liked the pickup at the time, but he clearly isn't working. He looks completely lost at times.


Yup- on paper this was a no brainer trade

But Brass just hasn't meshed with this team or any combination of linemmates since he's been here

A nice perk of the Western Conference sucking balls this season is that there are alot of potential buyers (pretty much everyone is still in the playoff hunt). Winnipeg and Colorado (for example) definitely need forward depth - but who would you want in return?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Penguins Regular Season Thread 2018-19
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:13 pm
Posts: 2070
COR-TEN wrote:
So.

I haven't watched any penguin hockey but highlights. Skimmed the threads here.

What's the best group think about where this team is headed? Surprisingly enough, I think the fury hockey brain trust is more sensible and level headed than its opinion of the steelers. For now.

Anyway, I'd love for the hockey gurus here to give me some clear and concise evaluation of the 2018-19 Pittsburgh Penguins.

Thanks in advance.

Not a guru, but my thoughts:
Schultz coming back will be a big boost to the defense. I'd assume they pair him with Maatta and roll with
Letang-Dumo
Schultz-Maatta
Petterson-JJ

The Pens will either deal Oleksiak (hopefully) or send Ruhwedel or Riikola to WBS.

Issue #2 is Center depth - Brassard ain't doing it, and neither Sheahan or Cullen is a #3 C. Rutherford will probably need to work some magic again, because I'm not sure how you get a quality Center for Brassard without working a 3 team deal. Beyond that, the Pens seemed to have figured out their lines and are good at Forward barring injury....hopefully Hornqvist can get/stay healthy down the stretch. Ditto ZAR.


Looking around the Metro, there are really only 3 other teams to worry about, and each one has flaws:
- Washington has depth issues
- Columbus can't score and goaltending has been a major issue
- The Islanders aren't as good as their record indicates.

In the Atlantic, Tampa is fucking scary, and Toronto is damn good as well. Thankfully (in contrast to recent years) the Pens could benefit this year from the NHL's messed up playoff system. Beyond that, Boston, Montreal, and Buffalo don't scare anybody.

Realistically, my expectations will be conference finals. Anything short of that and I'm pissed.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Penguins Regular Season Thread 2018-19
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:08 pm
Posts: 7453
Pabst wrote:
COR-TEN wrote:
So.

I haven't watched any penguin hockey but highlights. Skimmed the threads here.

What's the best group think about where this team is headed? Surprisingly enough, I think the fury hockey brain trust is more sensible and level headed than its opinion of the steelers. For now.

Anyway, I'd love for the hockey gurus here to give me some clear and concise evaluation of the 2018-19 Pittsburgh Penguins.

Thanks in advance.

Not a guru, but my thoughts:
Schultz coming back will be a big boost to the defense. I'd assume they pair him with Maatta and roll with
Letang-Dumo
Schultz-Maatta
Petterson-JJ

The Pens will either deal Oleksiak (hopefully) or send Ruhwedel or Riikola to WBS.

Issue #2 is Center depth - Brassard ain't doing it, and neither Sheahan or Cullen is a #3 C. Rutherford will probably need to work some magic again, because I'm not sure how you get a quality Center for Brassard without working a 3 team deal. Beyond that, the Pens seemed to have figured out their lines and are good at Forward barring injury....hopefully Hornqvist can get/stay healthy down the stretch. Ditto ZAR.


Looking around the Metro, there are really only 3 other teams to worry about, and each one has flaws:
- Washington has depth issues
- Columbus can't score and goaltending has been a major issue
- The Islanders aren't as good as their record indicates.

In the Atlantic, Tampa is fucking scary, and Toronto is damn good as well. Thankfully (in contrast to recent years) the Pens could benefit this year from the NHL's messed up playoff system. Beyond that, Boston, Montreal, and Buffalo don't scare anybody.

Realistically, my expectations will be conference finals. Anything short of that and I'm pissed.
Thanks for the analysis. Much appreciated. Cheers.

_________________
"I wish Fraudlin would get testicular cancer and die after he watches me anally penetrate his wife."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Penguins Regular Season Thread 2018-19
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 18300
If Hornqvist, Letang, Crosby, Guentzel, Phil, Geno, Murray are healthy, this team could win anything. That's as good a core as ANYBODY has. If they can move Jack Johnson, Boussard, & Oleksiak for something good... sky's the limit. Hornqvist might be the most crucial piece who doesn't get talked about enough.

_________________
Fuck the Patriots.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Penguins Regular Season Thread 2018-19
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:22 am
Posts: 11294
bradshaw2ben wrote:
If Hornqvist, Letang, Crosby, Guentzel, Phil, Geno, Murray are healthy, this team could win anything. That's as good a core as ANYBODY has. If they can move Jack Johnson, Boussard, & Oleksiak for something good... sky's the limit. Hornqvist might be the most crucial piece who doesn't get talked about enough.


I’d like to move Jack Johnson to a waste basket.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Penguins Regular Season Thread 2018-19
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 5594
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
Hornqvist in front of the net was sorely missed in both WC losses, whether we are talking the lowly Kings or the better Sharks.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group