It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Penguins Regular Season Thread 2018-19
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:06 pm 

The Flyers lack of goal scoring is interesting-too much talent there not to be putting more pucks in the net. I'm hoping they panic and call up Hart thinking he is the cure-all to their problems and they ruin him early in his career.

Kovalchuk is going to turn out to be a bad signing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:17 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:
The Flyers lack of goal scoring is interesting-too much talent there not to be putting more pucks in the net. I'm hoping they panic and call up Hart thinking he is the cure-all to their problems and they ruin him early in his career.

Philly and Giroux in particular overachieved last season- they were not a playoff team.

I disagree about Kovalchuk. Dude can still play, but he's a bad fit for that team.
He's not a guy who can push a team to non contender to the playoffs, but he's still an asset.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:45 pm 

Just to clarify on Carolina - I think they'll be competing for a #3 or WC spot, not the division lead (as they are right now).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:02 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:

Philly and Giroux in particular overachieved last season- they were not a playoff team.

I disagree about Kovalchuk. Dude can still play, but he's a bad fit for that team.
He's not a guy who can push a team to non contender to the playoffs, but he's still an asset.

Giroux was healthy last year and put up MVP #'s-he was hurt the year before. Couturier moved his game to another level. Voracek is a solid 70-80 point player and I think Nolan Patrick could develop into an excellent second line Center. Four nice pieces and you can add Konecny who could be a 30 goal scorer someday to that group. They have some pieces on defense as well.
All that said, I hope they blunder as is their history.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:32 pm 

So, it's come to this.

A few years ago the Lightning very clearly knew it just wasn't going to happen. What did they do? They traded some roster players, retooled, and now here they are. They're primed and ready to go on another big run.

I look at the Penguins roster, and it's on a turd level that reminds me of 2014. Or even the 2006 team with washed up stars (sans Mario), a young Sid, and a bunch of trash.

Here are some things I'd do immediately and in the near future.

1. Play Daniel Sprong in the top 6.

What does the organization have to lose by doing this? About 7 of their last 8 games? See what you have in this guy. If you don't have anything, you'll probably know by then. He's the only obviously talented player on the roster. Let's see him. I'd fire Sullivan tomorrow if I could based on this bit of mental retardation. It's more likely than not that Sprong isn't anything special, but to play chodes like Wilson over him...

2. Trade Riley Sheahan; have Teddy Blueger take his place.

Addition by subtraction. A fifth round pick would be fine. I'd take less. What a blessing he wasn't signed long term. Holy shit. He's been terrible offensively and defensively.

3. Trade one of the defensemen. Even better, trade at least 3 of them.

Jack Johnson is a beta. I'm done with Maatta. Shoot Oleksiak into space.

I'd do so much more.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:22 pm 

Hacksaw Jim Duggan wrote:
So, it's come to this.

A few years ago the Lightning very clearly knew it just wasn't going to happen. What did they do? They traded some roster players, retooled, and now here they are. They're primed and ready to go on another big run.

I look at the Penguins roster, and it's on a turd level that reminds me of 2014. Or even the 2006 team with washed up stars (sans Mario), a young Sid, and a bunch of trash.

Here are some things I'd do immediately and in the near future.

1. Play Daniel Sprong in the top 6.

What does the organization have to lose by doing this? About 7 of their last 8 games? See what you have in this guy. If you don't have anything, you'll probably know by then. He's the only obviously talented player on the roster. Let's see him. I'd fire Sullivan tomorrow if I could based on this bit of mental retardation. It's more likely than not that Sprong isn't anything special, but to play chodes like Wilson over him...

2. Trade Riley Sheahan; have Teddy Blueger take his place.

Addition by subtraction. A fifth round pick would be fine. I'd take less. What a blessing he wasn't signed long term. Holy shit. He's been terrible offensively and defensively.

3. Trade one of the defensemen. Even better, trade at least 3 of them.

Jack Johnson is a beta. I'm done with Maatta. Shoot Oleksiak into space.

I'd do so much more.

Agree with most of what you said.

Sprong is in Sully's doghouse and you don't ever come out. See Ian Cole and Ryan Reaves for examples.

Unsure what's up w/ Sheahan. Last year he played pretty well...unsure what happened to him this year. He needs to be sat.

The defense actually isn't as horrible as we're making it out to be. Johnson seems to be ok with letang babysitting him. Olek and Maata seem to be serviceable. Not saying it's the best group but they are holding the fort. If the offense (secondary players) would score more, we'd be ok