It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Penguins Regular Season Thread 2018-19
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:42 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:
Pens Inside Scoop

@PensInsideScoop
Coach Sullivan said it was not a maintenance day for Murray. “He’s been evaluated for an upper-body injury. That’s all I have right now.” He clarified it was not a concussion. -MC

Hopefully it is nothing but I'm starting to worry about the china-doll syndrome with #30.

Too soon to begin making Beau Bennett jokes?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:09 pm 

So far, Patric Hornqvist has been a terrible re-sign. The guy had two concussions it seems like within the span of a week. He's been brutal 5v5, and for all I've heard people defend his power play prowess, well, here we are with a struggling PP. As I discussed in another thread, when everyone is healthy and with the lines optimal, Hornqvist is a bottom-6 player. That's a LOT of investment for a guy that hasn't done much.

I think Bjugstad more or less replaces Pearson. As I said before, he's a more exciting player. Pearson has good traits, but he's looking more and more vanilla by the day. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the Penguins traded him at the deadline or at the very least during the offseason. I also wouldn't be surprised if they bring back Carl Hagelin during the offseason at a discounted rate. For his price tag, Pearson is the obvious choice to go for the cap to make sense.

I'm thrilled that the Pittsburgh media and bloggers are FINALLY piling on the terrible nature of Jack Johnson. With few exceptions, every single player on the Penguins roster gets worse, most of the time significantly worse, when Johnson is on the ice. He is a one-man cancer, killing the team both offensively and defensively. I haven't seen a guy so negatively affect those around him since playoff Fleury or Rob Scuderi. For all purposes, he's worse than Scuderi ever was, and for large chunks of his career, Scuderi was absolutely BRUTAL. My friend sent me some stats. During 5v5, the Penguins have scored 132 goals for and 115 goals against. That's not entirely terrible, but it's not amazing either. When you factor in Jack Johnson's impact on the team, you realize the issue. Without Johnson on the ice, the Penguins have scored 102 goals and surrendered just 68 during 5v5 play (GF%60). With Johnson, the Penguins have scored 30 goals and surrendered 47 (GF%39).

Letang is absolutely carrying the defense. The area pass he made to Guentzel last night was magnificent for the goal. I am happy that he now owns the Pens record for goals for a Dman. He's been through a lot, and I've doubted him his whole career. When he's on, there's no one better at the position. Justin Schultz needs to come back, and the team needs to find another legitimate defensemen to replace Maatta. Johnson has absolutely destroyed Malkin this season. Bjugstad, Kessel, and Malkin looked great. When they weren't forced to carry Johnson, they actually sustained great zone time and got more chances. Johnson is a cancer. Period. He will single handedly prevent this team from winning a cup. If Schultz comes back and returns to form and this team benches Johnson and plays the right players, they will win the division.

With guys coming back from injury, the Penguins have an opportunity to play the best performers. Naturally, they decided to bench Teddy Blueger for no reason last game. This is a wonderful time to foster competition. Instead, the team is throwing out players who haven't performed like Hornqvist, Pearson, and Simon. Just stupid.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:26 pm 

Maatta was just placed on IR, so please abandon all hope of JJ getting benched.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:34 pm 

Pabst wrote:

I had no such hope.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:37 pm 

Damn it. And what does that tell you about JJ that I am bummed that Maata is on IR?

Schultz come back now!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:38 pm 

Pabst wrote:

Wasn't gonna happen
We could be afforded an all star roster of dmen and somehow/someway JJ would leach himself into the top 6

Sully and JR LOVE HIM- let that sink in

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:54 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:
Damn it. And what does that tell you about JJ that I am bummed that Maata is on IR?

Schultz come back now!

Let's be fair, Maatta hasn't been bad this year.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:19 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Pabst wrote:

Wasn't gonna happen
We could be afforded an all star roster of dmen and somehow/someway JJ would leach himself into the top 6

No kidding, Sully never has a bad thing to say about JJ.
None of us are experts but there isn't one of us regulars that thinks JJ is any good. Aside from a big hit here or there he is so deficient in every other area.
I focused on him a good bit last night and he was horrid. He had at least three bad TO's in his own end that led to quality shots for the Flyers. He brings down whomever is on the ice with him.

Ruhwedel is nothing special but he would be an upgrade over JJ. I'm willing to wager there is a prospect or two in WBS that would be and upgrade as well.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:37 pm 

Pabst wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:

Schultz come back now!

He hasn’t been bad, I agree.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:44 pm 

Malkin got one game.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:10 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:
Malkin got one game.

I had forgotten about his previous ejection this year. They got the penalty right.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:29 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:
Pabst wrote:

Wasn't gonna happen

No kidding, Sully never has a bad thing to say about JJ.
None of us are experts but there isn't one of us regulars that thinks JJ is any good. Aside from a big hit here or there he is so deficient in every other area.
I focused on him a good bit last night and he was horrid. He had at least three bad TO's in his own end that led to quality shots for the Flyers. He brings down whomever is on the ice with him.

Ruhwedel is nothing special but he would be an upgrade over JJ. I'm willing to wager there is a prospect or two in WBS that would be and upgrade as well.

the nadir was, after being unable to put the puck on net all year from the point, he got himself set-up for an empty net Saturday from inside the circles and missed it wide.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:09 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:
Pabst wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:

Schultz come back now!

He hasn’t been bad, I agree.

Maatta has been a tier above Johnson in "bad" this season. He's been brutal getting the puck out of his own zone. Absolutely brutal. The thing Maatta really needed was Schultz on his right side to not only improve the offense of the team, but to give him someone who could move the puck up ice with authority (aka breakout). That all but falls apart in this scenario. Schultz will be back, but the chemistry and hockey IQ that Maatta would provide will need to be replaced. The biggest issue is that it keeps Jack Johnson in the lineup. This team needs another defensemen, and it needs to be a solid top 4 defensemen.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:20 am 

Yes Maata hasn't been "bad" but I wouldn't characterize him as good either
His play has been unacceptable for a guy making that much money- heck you could say that about our entire defense outside of Dumo/Letang

The one thing I was hoping for was the Schultz/Maata pairing to come back to life and stabilize a 2nd pairing- they were pretty good in the playoffs last year

So on one 1 hand I'm upset this won't happen, but on the other hand this might FORCE JR to make a dman trade to replace Maata's minutes

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:25 am 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
His play has been unacceptable for a guy making that much money- heck you could say that about our entire defense outside of Dumo/Letang

The one thing I was hoping for was the Schultz/Maata pairing to come back to life and stabilize a 2nd pairing- they were pretty good in the playoffs last year

So on one 1 hand I'm upset this won't happen, but on the other hand this might FORCE JR to make a dman trade to replace Maata's minutes

Eh....his contract really isn't out of line when you compare him to other guy's making ~4m per year. It's pretty much the going rate for a fringe top 4 defenseman.

Sure, I'd love to have Klingberg or Roman Josi for that price; but Maatta is on par or better than guys like Ian Cole or Nik Hjalmarsson

https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/active/2019/caphit/all/defense&p=2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:09 pm 

Pabst wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:

Eh....his contract really isn't out of line when you compare him to other guy's making ~4m per year. It's pretty much the going rate for a fringe top 4 defenseman.

Sure, I'd love to have Klingberg or Roman Josi for that price; but Maatta is on par or better than guys like Ian Cole or Nik Hjalmarsson

https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/active/2019/caphit/all/defense&p=2

That's the thing, he should be MILES better than those guys at this point in their careers. Maata should be in his prime and his contract should look valuable because he should be trending upward.
If we had a prime Hjalmarsson on this team right now, we'd be golden.

But I think this sinks Maata's trade value (not that I think he was gonna get traded). Believe this is his 3rd surgery on that same shoulder...thats not good

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:43 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
That's the thing, he should be MILES better than those guys at this point in their careers. Maata should be in his prime and his contract should look valuable because he should be trending upward.
If we had a prime Hjalmarsson on this team right now, we'd be golden.

But I think this sinks Maata's trade value (not that I think he was gonna get traded). Believe this is his 3rd surgery on that same shoulder...thats not good

Agree with everything you said. Maatta hasn't lived up to expectations, but he's not a Karl Alzner-like boat anchor, either. Could the Pens do better? Sure...but it could be alot worse. If Maatta is your worst contract, then you're in good shape*

*Unfortunately, JJ is the worst contract we have.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:26 pm 

BJ's just traded a first rounder and a few prospects for Duchene. Plus they give up another 1st rounder if they sign Duchene long term.

I....don't see this as a good move. Mainly because I don't think Columbus is good enough to make this kind of deal. Even with Duchene, they're not a real cup contender, and Panerin and Bobs are both UFAs next year.

The BJs have a good, young core in Seth Jones, Zach Werenski, and Pierre Luc Dubois; but how do they build on that in the future when they just traded away 2 top prospects and (potentially) 2 first round picks? Not to mention the terrible contracts they gave to Wenneberg and Foligno.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:31 pm 

Pabst wrote:
BJ's just traded a first rounder and a few prospects for Duchene. Plus they give up another 1st rounder if they sign Duchene long term.

I....don't see this as a good move. Mainly because I don't think Columbus is good enough to make this kind of deal. Even with Duchene, they're not a real cup contender, and Panerin and Bobs are both UFAs next year.

The BJs have a good, young core in Seth Jones, Zach Werenski, and Pierre Luc Dubois; but how do they build on that in the future when they just traded away 2 top prospects and (potentially) 2 first round picks? Not to mention the terrible contracts they gave to Wenneberg and Foligno.

That's bad for us, though. Duchene makes them better for this year, and they're one of the many teams we're jostling for a playoff spot with.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:38 pm 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Pabst wrote:

That's bad for us, though. Duchene makes them better for this year, and they're one of the many teams we're jostling for a playoff spot with.

True. I'm just saying that this will look bad if/when Columbus gets bounced in the first round and they hinder themselves in the long term as well.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:20 pm 

Pabst wrote:

The winners of the trade deadline (and Cbus appears to be it) never makes it far in the playoffs

Washington added well this year though: Jensen and Hags. Those are the complementary pieces and moves you make to bolster your depth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:31 pm 

Duchene is still very fast...it’s a good trade but I’m on the fence with CBJ.

The teams to beat are still WAS and def ahead of them are TB. Nikita Kucherov is the best pure goal scorer in the league and by a lot right now. The dude is just crazy good.

If Vasilevsky can keep his shit together, they will go deep and you will need to beat TB in their house. They have been very good at home (unlike the Pens).

The Pens need to flush all of that stupidity I saw yesterday down the toilet and start sharpening the hell up. Also; GMJR needs to understand that admitting a mistake with JJ doesn’t make him a shitty general manager. They took a flyer and got it very wrong. Oh well. Play Riikola and stop this madness.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5