It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Penguins Offseason Thread 2018
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:04 pm 

Hacksaw Jim Duggan wrote:
As a side, it should also be said that we're comparing two totally different scouting philosophies and staffs here, as well as two totally different minor league systems.

Shero wouldn't be caught dead drafting someone like Sprong in 2009. Shero made a concerted effort to replenish draft picks around 2012, but he really just hatcheted them the rest of the time, except for a brief period where he kept his first round picks. Most of his fruit beared after he was fired.

Rutherford is totally butchering the Penguins draft picks, dispensing them to other teams like candy, but at the same time, his drafts have a much sounder philosophy under Patrick Allvin and crew. Draft players with speed, who come from anywhere, and who are productive with some talented traits.

It'll be interesting to see how the two GMs compare when Rutherford's tenure with the team ends.

Good point. Shero had a infatuation with college guys. Along with any puck moving defenseman he could get his hands on; with the philosophy of "we'll flip these dmen for forward since dmen are more valuable"

Well the problem is they didn't develop them (or enough of them) to have that pipeline clogged where other teams saw significant potential in the youngesters. Then Shero doubled down by signing/acquiring old dman to block their development (Douglas Murray/Eaton)! Really stepping on his dick with his overall plan.

New regime comes in and finally Shero's college kids are ready to fill the depth roles the Pens desperately needed. Yes you can say and give Shero credit, but the contracts he was giving out didn't align with his drafting philosophy. You have to wonder how much he and Bylsma butted heads in terms of the playing time and opportunities given out.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:00 pm 

Hacksaw Jim Duggan wrote:
Another thing on Dumo.

When he was traded to Pittsburgh, the Penguins staff most certainly a) had scouting reports on him b) actively scouted him before the trade. The player then developed under the Penguins. Yes, you can call Dumo an organically developed player by the Penguins. It's mostly the same process with some changes in staff between the amateur and pro scouts. They all work together, and they especially would have worked together when Shero and Rutherford were working through the Staal trade. If you can't call Dumo a developed player because the player wasn't drafted by the team, then by that logic, I can take credit for any and all the players drafted with first round picks that were traded by Pittsburgh because the rights to that pick were originally the Penguins.

Never said Dumo wasn't developed by the Pens.
By being organic I mean being drafted and developed by the organization. Maybe 'organic' is not the right word to use.
What I said is that the Pens, for the past decade haven't done a good job of drafting D men and developing those drafted pieces.
You made a great point about acquiring talent on the blue line through trades and how they got the right pieces at the correct time.
The reclamation of a few of them has been outstanding and maybe Gonchar gets some credit. I don't know if that is the case so I'll leave it to others to fill us in on that.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:49 pm 

Jacques Martin probably deserves some credit, too.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:16 pm 

Penguins signed Derek Grant to a 1 yr contract today.

Wouldn't be surprised if he makes the team. He's taken limited faceoffs throughout his career, but he's at 53%. Really blossomed a bit and show a scoring touch (18.5% shooting will go way down). What's most impressive is that when Ryan Getzlaf and Ryan Kessler went down last year, Grant was the team's 1C for awhile. He didn't embarrass himself, either. I couldn't imagine saying the same about Rowney. The Ducks made a bad move with replacing Grant with Rowney, especially at that term.

Some are conjecturing this could mean a trade for Pitt. I think it's just another solid depth signing, something they lacked last year. Remember that Greg McKegg and Carter Rowney were the starting 3C and 4C opening night last year. Grant would be the 6th C.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:16 am 

Honestly, I don't know much about the player. Saw that he be used on PK and PP so that really adds to the depth. Have to find a replacement for Sully's puppy Kuhnackel.

Does this mean that Brassard to wing is going to be what we see early in the season?

Have to love the depth we have now at C.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:07 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:
Honestly, I don't know much about the player. Saw that he be used on PK and PP so that really adds to the depth. Have to find a replacement for Sully's puppy Kuhnackel.

Does this mean that Brassard to wing is going to be what we see early in the season?

Have to love the depth we have now at C.

I do think it allows for the flexibility for Brass to be used at W occasionally.

Plus I think this is a "test drive" for the Pens to see what Grant brings. If they like what they see for this year, they'll probably bring him back essentially as Cullen's replacement (assuming Cullen retires).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:16 pm 

Hacksaw, congratulations on being the first and last human ever to use the words "Carter Rowney" and "number one center" in the same sentence.

That said, yeah, the center and, really, overall forward depth and flexibility on paper is some of the best I've seen.

Now, let's see how the defensive experiment works out, not to mention, can Matt Murray bounce back, and can he handle the pressure of being "the guy" with no MAF backing him up.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:28 pm 

Human bag of garbage Tom Wilson, 6 years, 5.17 million per, nmtc for the final four years. And people complained about Phil's salary.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:35 am 

Ice wrote:
Human bag of garbage Tom Wilson, 6 years, 5.17 million per, nmtc for the final four years. And people complained about Phil's salary.

Hilarious.

They also resigned Brooks Orpik to come back :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:12 am 

In their defense, The Traffic Cone is making considerably less than his previous, ridiculous contract. #capcircumvention

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next