It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Penguins Offseason Thread 2018
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:59 pm 

https://twitter.com/MarkMaddenX

I post this not to defend Madden, nor to defend JR's decision to sign Johnson. I'm not sure I like or dislike the move just yet, which still isn't official.

I post this, instead, to offer Madden's rationale supporting the Johnson acquisition only to offer a contrary (more positive) opinion.
I think if Johnson is signed we'll all be rooting for him to do well.

Among the points Madden made concerning the "5-year" issue is that the current CBA is set to expire at the end of the 2021-2022 season. That would be a maximum of 4 more years. However, either the league or the players can opt out of the as early as September 2019. Whenever a new CBA is approved it likely will continue or extend the buyout practice of the last CBA.

Madden opines that if Johnson is a bust that the Pens would have a chance to perhaps pay 2/3 of his remaining salary (similar to the current CBA) and negate the remaining salary cap hit. Madden said the Pens window is effectively 3/4 more seasons, so they are focused on winning now, even if it means overpaying or offering too much time to a guy like Johnson. Madden said the same theory may apply to Horny who recently signed his 5-year extension IF Horny's play were to significantly decline (age/too much abuse/etc.).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXL7XSW4xHA

Madden goes on to suggest the Johnson's poor play last year was a 1-year thing, maybe because of the bankruptcy issue with his parents, and maybe because Torts has a way of wearing on some players after a time. With Sully as coach and with Gonchar as the Pens defense consultant/coach to help, and with the Pens style, the thought is that Johnson may benefit from new scenery with a team always going for the Cup, not just trying to make the playoffs only to lose in the first round.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:01 pm 

There's a lot of statistical evidence out there that points to the fact that Johnson, in fact, sucks very much.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:37 am 

Ice wrote:
There's a lot of statistical evidence out there that points to the fact that Johnson, in fact, sucks very much.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post ... ger_id=177

Just to give the anti-Johnson camp some McLovin, here's a post with statistical evidence that, in fact, Johnson sucks very much.
I thought I'd try, for a change, the "glass-half-full" approach. I did. The glass is still half empty, and the other half may contain poison.

Frankly, if Johnson is signed and does suck there will some who may be happier their point of view was validated than would be happy to be proven wrong. I'm not putting you, Ice, or myself, in that category. I just hope if Johnson signs he proves JR to be correct because that would be what's best for the Pens IF/AFTER Johnson is signed.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:26 am 

Oh, if he puts on black and gold, I'll be rooting for him for sure, but whether it's the player (he's been pretty awful for 13 years) or the term being reported (5 years, making him 37 by deals end, and likely untradeable without literally paying someone to take him; see: Hunwick) there's a lot about this to feel uneasy about. GMJR has certainly banked some trust with those cups, but last offseason wasn't exactly a rousing success, either.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:55 pm 

Bling Collector Ben wrote:
Frankly, if Johnson is signed and does suck there will some who may be happier their point of view was validated than would be happy to be proven wrong. I'm not putting you, Ice, or myself, in that category. I just hope if Johnson signs he proves JR to be correct because that would be what's best for the Pens IF/AFTER Johnson is signed.

If anyone thinks that, then they're retarded.

As for the Madden article, if the focus is on "winning now," why take on a reclamation project? Madden is missing the point. Hornqvist will fall off a cliff five years from now, but the Penguins know what value he has for them now. There's a huge difference in taking a risk on a sure thing (Hornqvist) and buying an expensive lottery ticket (Johnson).

Johnson's bankruptcy issues began in 2014. Four years ago. I wasn't sure myself on this, but there's Google. If he had any off-ice issues from this, they would have likely affected him in 2014, and not "last year" like Madden claims. There are about 10 easier excuses, and legitimate ones, to make for Johnson than that. I'm unsure if Madden has even focused on the Johnson situation that heavily.

Madden is spewing absolute nonsense at this point. I have a feeling he has a good source close to Johnson and he doesn't want to talk Johnson's abilities down. Maybe his agent. Maybe Crosby. After all, Madden did break the signing.

If I had to guess, Johnson will most likely flourish and become a top 4 dman moreso than being an incredible burden. If that's the case, this huge asset management gamble will pay off. You're effectively getting a top 4 D for a huge bargain. Like I said before, this does have eerie similarity to last year's shit asset management. No-talent Hunwick and 4th liner Ryan Reaves. Johnson is nearly the same price for a fringe NHLer and an inconsistent bottom pairing Dman. At least Johnson's pedigree dictates that this deal actually has upside. That's what's making me cling onto that hope. Side note: I'm glad members on this board now realize how terrible Rutherford's last offseason was. I don't have faith in every move Rutherford makes, but I do have faith he will correct his mistakes.

Anyone else find it odd that people in the media are saying "don't worry, Johnson can be bought out with the new CBA" instead of, I don't know, "don't worry, Johnson will be a better player here because X, Y, and Z."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:13 am 

Looks like JVR is going back to Philly for $7 mill AAV. Probably takes the $ Simmonds is currently making.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:23 am 

Sheesh that's a good bit of coin and term for JVR. Read that James Neal is looking for about the same. Supposedly Tavares has a blank check on the table from SJ. Crazy contracts bout to get doled out.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:06 pm 

Kunitz to Blackhawks, 1 year deal.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:45 pm 

Well, it looks like Johnson is indeed a Penguin now. Hope this works out-I'll root for the player to succeed here but I don't like the length of the contract(5 years).

And the Pens bring back Matt Cullen for one year. That makes for an interesting rotation at center.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:00 pm 

Absolutely love that Cullen is coming back. I'm super surprised that his wife let him back to Pittsburgh. I'm sure his sons probably had a say in it too.

There are a billion reasons why this is awesome.

-Gives versatility to the lineup in case of injuries. He can play all positions
-Great penalty killer
-Great leader who can teach the bottom 6 guys how to play
-Crosby has always had a father figure type player to take the edge off him when the team has won the Cup (Guerin, Cullen). Not saying Crosby isn't a great leader, but I always thought he was more of a lead by example type. Cullen brings levity.
-Great skater who knows the system
-Great 5v5 and gives that much needed depth and scoring in the bottom 6
-Makes league minimum
-Can be put into big-time situations defensively, late in games. NHL Network analyst said Cullen had the most TOI in the Penguins Cup-clinching games among forwards.
-Great playoff performer
-Won't need to play every game to be effective. Can be used sparingly and as a way to give other guys breathers
-The contrary is Kunitz, a guy who only plays one position and doesn't have the hands or wheels anymore
-This solves the 3LW situation in the playoffs, as Brassard or Sheahan can shift to that spot
-Defensive zone faceoff boi

With how crazy the moves are in this FA, this is one of the safest bets.

Tavares making $11 million is insane, especially because Toronto hasn't paid Marner, Nylander, or Matthews yet. I still would have done it, but they could be in cap trouble soon, even though they have $24 million left to spend. They gave huge money to Marleau. Oh, and Ron Hainsey is still on their top pairing. They're going to have to make some moves to basically rehaul that entire shitty defense. Good luck.

Moore signing was solid for Boston

Perron and Blues just need to get married already. Perron is better practically everywhere else. He had his best season in Vegas. Just stay there.

Stastny and Couture making nearly as much as Kessel and Crosby. I know who I'd rather have.

Ian Cole got almost a million more a season than Jack Johnson

Ryan Reaves. HAHAHAHAHHA! Universally panned move by Vegas.

Detroit needs to just blow it up. Unless they're going to trade Vanek and Green at the TDL, this is just a pursuit for mediocrity.

Kunitz only signing for $1 million with Chicago means the Penguins simply didn't want him

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next