It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Penguins Offseason Thread 2018
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:59 pm 

https://twitter.com/MarkMaddenX

I post this not to defend Madden, nor to defend JR's decision to sign Johnson. I'm not sure I like or dislike the move just yet, which still isn't official.

I post this, instead, to offer Madden's rationale supporting the Johnson acquisition only to offer a contrary (more positive) opinion.
I think if Johnson is signed we'll all be rooting for him to do well.

Among the points Madden made concerning the "5-year" issue is that the current CBA is set to expire at the end of the 2021-2022 season. That would be a maximum of 4 more years. However, either the league or the players can opt out of the as early as September 2019. Whenever a new CBA is approved it likely will continue or extend the buyout practice of the last CBA.

Madden opines that if Johnson is a bust that the Pens would have a chance to perhaps pay 2/3 of his remaining salary (similar to the current CBA) and negate the remaining salary cap hit. Madden said the Pens window is effectively 3/4 more seasons, so they are focused on winning now, even if it means overpaying or offering too much time to a guy like Johnson. Madden said the same theory may apply to Horny who recently signed his 5-year extension IF Horny's play were to significantly decline (age/too much abuse/etc.).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXL7XSW4xHA

Madden goes on to suggest the Johnson's poor play last year was a 1-year thing, maybe because of the bankruptcy issue with his parents, and maybe because Torts has a way of wearing on some players after a time. With Sully as coach and with Gonchar as the Pens defense consultant/coach to help, and with the Pens style, the thought is that Johnson may benefit from new scenery with a team always going for the Cup, not just trying to make the playoffs only to lose in the first round.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:01 pm 

There's a lot of statistical evidence out there that points to the fact that Johnson, in fact, sucks very much.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:37 am 

Ice wrote:
There's a lot of statistical evidence out there that points to the fact that Johnson, in fact, sucks very much.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post ... ger_id=177

Just to give the anti-Johnson camp some McLovin, here's a post with statistical evidence that, in fact, Johnson sucks very much.
I thought I'd try, for a change, the "glass-half-full" approach. I did. The glass is still half empty, and the other half may contain poison.

Frankly, if Johnson is signed and does suck there will some who may be happier their point of view was validated than would be happy to be proven wrong. I'm not putting you, Ice, or myself, in that category. I just hope if Johnson signs he proves JR to be correct because that would be what's best for the Pens IF/AFTER Johnson is signed.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:26 am 

Oh, if he puts on black and gold, I'll be rooting for him for sure, but whether it's the player (he's been pretty awful for 13 years) or the term being reported (5 years, making him 37 by deals end, and likely untradeable without literally paying someone to take him; see: Hunwick) there's a lot about this to feel uneasy about. GMJR has certainly banked some trust with those cups, but last offseason wasn't exactly a rousing success, either.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:55 pm 

Bling Collector Ben wrote:
Frankly, if Johnson is signed and does suck there will some who may be happier their point of view was validated than would be happy to be proven wrong. I'm not putting you, Ice, or myself, in that category. I just hope if Johnson signs he proves JR to be correct because that would be what's best for the Pens IF/AFTER Johnson is signed.

If anyone thinks that, then they're retarded.

As for the Madden article, if the focus is on "winning now," why take on a reclamation project? Madden is missing the point. Hornqvist will fall off a cliff five years from now, but the Penguins know what value he has for them now. There's a huge difference in taking a risk on a sure thing (Hornqvist) and buying an expensive lottery ticket (Johnson).

Johnson's bankruptcy issues began in 2014. Four years ago. I wasn't sure myself on this, but there's Google. If he had any off-ice issues from this, they would have likely affected him in 2014, and not "last year" like Madden claims. There are about 10 easier excuses, and legitimate ones, to make for Johnson than that. I'm unsure if Madden has even focused on the Johnson situation that heavily.

Madden is spewing absolute nonsense at this point. I have a feeling he has a good source close to Johnson and he doesn't want to talk Johnson's abilities down. Maybe his agent. Maybe Crosby. After all, Madden did break the signing.

If I had to guess, Johnson will most likely flourish and become a top 4 dman moreso than being an incredible burden. If that's the case, this huge asset management gamble will pay off. You're effectively getting a top 4 D for a huge bargain. Like I said before, this does have eerie similarity to last year's shit asset management. No-talent Hunwick and 4th liner Ryan Reaves. Johnson is nearly the same price for a fringe NHLer and an inconsistent bottom pairing Dman. At least Johnson's pedigree dictates that this deal actually has upside. That's what's making me cling onto that hope. Side note: I'm glad members on this board now realize how terrible Rutherford's last offseason was. I don't have faith in every move Rutherford makes, but I do have faith he will correct his mistakes.

Anyone else find it odd that people in the media are saying "don't worry, Johnson can be bought out with the new CBA" instead of, I don't know, "don't worry, Johnson will be a better player here because X, Y, and Z."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:13 am 

Looks like JVR is going back to Philly for $7 mill AAV. Probably takes the $ Simmonds is currently making.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:23 am 

Sheesh that's a good bit of coin and term for JVR. Read that James Neal is looking for about the same. Supposedly Tavares has a blank check on the table from SJ. Crazy contracts bout to get doled out.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:06 pm 

Kunitz to Blackhawks, 1 year deal.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:45 pm 

Well, it looks like Johnson is indeed a Penguin now. Hope this works out-I'll root for the player to succeed here but I don't like the length of the contract(5 years).

And the Pens bring back Matt Cullen for one year. That makes for an interesting rotation at center.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:00 pm 

Absolutely love that Cullen is coming back. I'm super surprised that his wife let him back to Pittsburgh. I'm sure his sons probably had a say in it too.

There are a billion reasons why this is awesome.

-Gives versatility to the lineup in case of injuries. He can play all positions
-Great penalty killer
-Great leader who can teach the bottom 6 guys how to play
-Crosby has always had a father figure type player to take the edge off him when the team has won the Cup (Guerin, Cullen). Not saying Crosby isn't a great leader, but I always thought he was more of a lead by example type. Cullen brings levity.
-Great skater who knows the system
-Great 5v5 and gives that much needed depth and scoring in the bottom 6
-Makes league minimum
-Can be put into big-time situations defensively, late in games. NHL Network analyst said Cullen had the most TOI in the Penguins Cup-clinching games among forwards.
-Great playoff performer
-Won't need to play every game to be effective. Can be used sparingly and as a way to give other guys breathers
-The contrary is Kunitz, a guy who only plays one position and doesn't have the hands or wheels anymore
-This solves the 3LW situation in the playoffs, as Brassard or Sheahan can shift to that spot
-Defensive zone faceoff boi

With how crazy the moves are in this FA, this is one of the safest bets.

Tavares making $11 million is insane, especially because Toronto hasn't paid Marner, Nylander, or Matthews yet. I still would have done it, but they could be in cap trouble soon, even though they have $24 million left to spend. They gave huge money to Marleau. Oh, and Ron Hainsey is still on their top pairing. They're going to have to make some moves to basically rehaul that entire shitty defense. Good luck.

Moore signing was solid for Boston

Perron and Blues just need to get married already. Perron is better practically everywhere else. He had his best season in Vegas. Just stay there.

Stastny and Couture making nearly as much as Kessel and Crosby. I know who I'd rather have.

Ian Cole got almost a million more a season than Jack Johnson

Ryan Reaves. HAHAHAHAHHA! Universally panned move by Vegas.

Detroit needs to just blow it up. Unless they're going to trade Vanek and Green at the TDL, this is just a pursuit for mediocrity.

Kunitz only signing for $1 million with Chicago means the Penguins simply didn't want him

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:27 pm 

Hacksaw Jim Duggan wrote:
-Great leader who can teach the bottom 6 guys how to play
-Crosby has always had a father figure type player to take the edge off him when the team has won the Cup (Guerin, Cullen). Not saying Crosby isn't a great leader, but I always thought he was more of a lead by example type. Cullen brings levity.

-Great 5v5 and gives that much needed depth and scoring in the bottom 6
-Makes league minimum
-Can be put into big-time situations defensively, late in games. NHL Network analyst said Cullen had the most TOI in the Penguins Cup-clinching games among forwards.
-Great playoff performer
-Won't need to play every game to be effective. Can be used sparingly and as a way to give other guys breathers
-This solves the 3LW situation in the playoffs, as Brassard or Sheahan can shift to that spot
-Defensive zone faceoff boi

I like the signing as well. Agree with much of the quoted part especially the bolded part. Think Guerin and or Roberts and how they were the cement to the team during their tenures.

I see that he is going to be a utility piece next year and if he only plays 30-50 games all the better come the playoffs.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:14 pm 

Love Cullen coming back!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:24 pm 

Like that he came back, very much like that he didn't wait till I started school again in the fall to make his decision this time.

In his presser, and this could very likely be post-signing BS, GMJR said that Sully and Gonch spent a long time looking at tape on JJ and came away impressed. Again, FWIW.

Non-Pens signings? Stastny, when you look at what Tavares got, was a bargain. He should have waited on Tavares to set that market.

The money Detroit gave to Mike Green, basically a 4th line forward playing defense, is more stupid than Reaves, Hunwick and Eric Fehr combined. I felt considerably better about JJ after I saw that turd.

Not sure what James Neal's asking price is, but he may want to consider lowering it. He isn't worth JVR money. Hell, JVR wasn't worth JVR money.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:14 pm 

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Ryan-Wil ... /177/93741

Torts gone wild, again.

https://triblive.com/sports/-topstories ... ck-johnson

Some not-so-negative news about Johnson?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:24 am 

Bling Collector Ben wrote:
https://triblive.com/sports/-topstories ... ck-johnson

Some not-so-negative news about Johnson?

Articles like this really expose how little Pittsburgh media knows about hockey and how much they parrot people who do all the work. The CORSI stat is absolutely worthless, while the zone exit stat may hold some weight. The fact these two were hodgepodged together by Benz is ridiculous.

Johnson's best year was 2016-17. That year, he started in the dzone 60.3% of the time. That's an absolutely insane number, and its absolutely insane that Johnson did so well this season regardless. Take some of the most renowned defensive dmen in the league. You'd be hard-pressed to find a player that hit 60.3% in a season. You'd also be hard-pressed to find a dman who has started with the puck in the D zone as much as Johnson in his 7 years in Columbus (56.6%). Why he or Savard didn't get Norris consideration is beyond me.

I looked up some of the better defensive dmen in the league, and none of them came close to that 60.3% number. For example: Marc-Edouard Vlasic (single season 57.8, overall 54.5), Oliver Ekman-Larsson (57.3, 52.9)

Here's why CORSI doesn't fit. CORSI is simply how many shot attempts a team makes (including blocks, shots that get through, and missed shots) (for our purposes and most 5 v 5) while a certain player is on the ice. I don't really consider CORSI an advanced stat to be honest. It's no more advanced than say OPS in baseball. Now, when a player starts the majority of their shifts in the defensive zone, guess what is more likely to happen? They're more likely to get shots attempted against them. Nearly every single player will have a significantly higher CA (Corsi against) than CF (Corsi for) in this situation. Yes, even Vlasic. Even Lidstrom. Even Hamonic. Any former or current "defensive" defensemen ever. No exceptions. What this stat doesn't and can't show is what these players did to get the puck out of the zone. Did this player give up a bunch of terrible chances while in the D zone? Who missed an assignment on the goal? High danger scoring chances is a flawed stat in itself. Expected goals is considered a revolutionary stat to CORSI. It's just another weak entry. We can take a defined high danger zone, but was there traffic in front? Did the puck get tipped by an unreal Crosby deflection? Did the goalie fall over? People always strive for some sort of baseball type advanced stats matrix that can determine a players value on a certain pitch, situation, time of day, etc. The stats in baseball are so valuable from a standpoint of identifying tendencies, struggles, and strengths. However, there is no obstruction from the mound to the catchers mitt. This is the same repeated motion over and over and over again. The ball goes from point A to B. It's called a strike, a ball, or its hit into play. There aren't 10 guys, a goalie, angles, deflections, etc. Hockey can never have a perfect stat.

So, let's do something very basic. If you're a player that's starting 60% of his time in the defensive zone, which directly correlates to having more shots against than for, and you log huge minutes on a per-game basis, why wouldn't your CORSI be ranked near the bottom of the league? Really simple stuff, folks. Every nonsense advanced stat matrix feeds off that and is going to look bad. Johnson is obviously going to have more goals against, etc. Probably the most bogus CORSI stats are QOC/TOI and CF%/QOC. These numbers are within a few percentage points of each other for nearly everyone in the league that it doesn't make a lick of sense.

Now, the question remains how much of this was a byproduct of Savard's play. Well, that's where the eye test heavily goes against Johnson. As Savard struggled to start the season, moves were made and things happened. When Cole and Savard were linked together, Savard returned to form, while Johnson continued to flounder. This highly suggests that Savard simply struggled and then got things right with Cole. Johnson didn't have Savard, and his season was terrible. The most basic of troubling stats is that Johnson has been on ice 5 v 5 for 554 goals for and 649 goals against in his career. Even with the 46.1/53.9 disparity in zone starts, that's incredibly troubling. Those numbers get a lot better in Columbus, but Johnson's only had one full season of this. For as simplistic and similarly as flawed as +/- is, a -19 with Columbus and a -109 overall player is still a -109 overall player.

So, everyone is pretty much correct in saying that Johnson needs to be paired with a safety valve defender. He can log big minutes and be effective in this manner. If he's not with a safety valve, then he needs less zone starts in the D zone and less ice time. The Penguins are likely banking on his puck mobility and the fact that they can present him with a defender that will be a bit more responsible. At least I hope. I didn't need a bunch of nonsense stats to determine this.This highly suggests Oleksiak would be a troubling partner for Johnson. Of course, watch them be the best pairing on the team. That's hockey. Who the fuck knows.

Bottom line: The 2016-17 season and the circumstances Johnson played in with Columbus and will play in with Pittsburgh was enough justification for Rutherford to sign him to what he did.

Now, do I agree this was a gamble worth it for a cap team? Well, it changes every day. We just have to watch him play. As I said before, this isn't as cut and dry as giving away money and assets for guys like Reaves or Hunwick, but it looks bad.

To recap, CORSI is a garbage stat that Adam Gretz presented that Benz parroted because he doesn't know any better. The zone exit thing is a bit more intriguing as it suggests a higher/practical methodology for how a player could be incorporated into a team's structure. This is where the Daley comparisons come into play. The best advanced stat is the eye test. The statistics for zone exits from the analytics department of the Penguins could have pointed Pens coaching and front office personnel to Johnson, but the eye test and film review was what made the trade. The importance of an analytics team is to find players that work within a shell. That's why baddies like Oleksiak can come here and perform better. That's why Daley came here. On the flipside, that's why GMs and front offices that just turn on EA NHL 18 and try to make the best overall team fail. Here's looking at you Ray.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:32 am 

For me it's not just soley about CORSI. It's all the other advanced stats AND eye test that make me meh on JJ.

BUt that being said the question: is he better than Hunwick, because that's what number we signed him for?

The answer is yes. 3.25M isn't a bad number for a guy like JJ. As mentioned before the rest of the team is gonna be trash in 5 yrs so who really cares about the term? Initial reports were like $5M for him and that's why I was freaking out a little bit.

I've also said this before: I like the Pens defensemen as individuals, but as a group they just seem completely out of sorts. Something like this changes the group's dynamic and that's a good thing.

Re: Cullen, I'm fine with him coming back but it was a year too late. Plus where does that move Sheahan and Brassard? Sheahan sucks at wing and the Pens were adamant to keep Brass at 3C.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:34 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
For me it's not just soley about CORSI. It's all the other advanced stats AND eye test that make me meh on JJ.

BUt that being said the question: is he better than Hunwick, because that's what number we signed him for?

The answer is yes. 3.25M isn't a bad number for a guy like JJ. As mentioned before the rest of the team is gonna be trash in 5 yrs so who really cares about the term? Initial reports were like $5M for him and that's why I was freaking out a little bit.

I've also said this before: I like the Pens defensemen as individuals, but as a group they just seem completely out of sorts. Something like this changes the group's dynamic and that's a good thing.

Re: Cullen, I'm fine with him coming back but it was a year too late. Plus where does that move Sheahan and Brassard? Sheahan sucks at wing and the Pens were adamant to keep Brass at 3C.

I also view this as a potential contract replacement for Justin Schultz. The team is in deep doo doo cap wise next season. I feel a lot is riding on this working out for the Penguins. It also makes a lot of sense if Kessel or another big player is traded next offseason. This may be the last best shot for the Penguins for a few seasons. We need Johnson to succeed for several reasons. Same with Sprong.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Kessel traded, Brassard not giving a new contract, Sheahan given a long-term extension to play 3C, and Schultz traded next offseason. That most likely transition is made a lot smoother if Sprong/Johnson establish themselves.

Last edited by Hacksaw Jim Duggan on Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:41 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:

I also view this as a potential contract replacement for Justin Schultz. The team is in deep doo doo cap wise next season. I feel a lot is riding on this working out for the Penguins. It also makes a lot of sense if Kessel or another big player is traded next offseason. This may be the last best shot for the Penguins for a few seasons. We need Johnson to succeed for several reasons. Same with Sprong.

Good point on JJ replacing Schultz, who really underachieved last season when you look at his contract. He at times last season didn't look as commanding on the PP compared to the year prior

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:47 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:

Good point on JJ replacing Schultz, who really underachieved last season when you look at his contract. He at times last season didn't look as commanding on the PP compared to the year prior

I'll agree with the PP thing. Letang was actually more successful than him during the season. It's hard to judge Schultz in any other situation though because he went from being the guy with Letang out to being the second guy. He's a perfect candidate for a trade though, even as soon as this season if the Penguins get good play from the other dmen.

The reality of this is that nothing is set in stone, and as long as the Penguins have the big boys, they can likely build a great team around them.

I'm excited for the current team as it stands, but I'm also excited for any potential trades that could happen between now and opening night.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:24 pm 

Hacksaw how would you rank this Pens offseason so far? Best ever??

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:21 pm 

Y-Town Steel wrote:
Hacksaw how would you rank this Pens offseason so far? Best ever??

I think SUPER BEST EVER is probably more fitting. That trade the Penguins made for Oleksiak last year is still so fresh in my mind. I think it's a heavy contender for BEST NHL TRADE OF ALL TIME. I can't wait until Oleksiak justifies this trade somehow by scoring a big goal seven years from now while playing for some other team.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:41 pm 

Heard Madden mention today that he’s hearing rumors of the Pens inquiring about Max Pacioretty. I’m not sure how the numbers work with that one, but GMJR has done more with less.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:21 pm 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Heard Madden mention today that he’s hearing rumors of the Pens inquiring about Max Pacioretty. I’m not sure how the numbers work with that one, but GMJR has done more with less.

The oft-cited rumor is Pacioretty for Brassard. It's really a match made in heaven in a vacuum. Both players are on expiring contracts. If I had to guess, both players have about the same shot to re-sign with their current teams. Also, they're both about the same age and fill the need of the team interested in acquiring them. They also more or less make the same cap hit.

I spent about 30 minutes thinking about this trade. I just don't see the value in it for both teams.

For Montreal, it's definitely a situation where they're creating one hole to fill another. If you insert Brassard into that roster, he immediately becomes the 1C for the team. The logical next step would be to move Drouin back to LW to cover for the loss of Pacioretty. In my opinion, Pacioretty > Drouin by quite a bit, so any sort of upgrade would be neutral. Speaking of Montreal, what are they doing? They have playoff talent in the majority of their positions, but they're doing what they can to just shit it all away. Bergevin sucks.

For the Penguins, it makes a bit more sense. Despite Brassard likely holding more value because he's a center, Pacioretty is definitely the better player. I even think he'd work well on a line with Geno and Kessel. But here's the thing. Hagelin/Malkin work too well. I don't think the team is going to breakup Sid and Guentzel either, so Pacioretty is going to be the 3LW with Rust and Sheahan. Cullen works the 4th line with ZAR and Sprong most likely. So, what do you think sounds better here? Derrick Brassard (2C at best) or Pacioretty (1LW at best) playing third line minutes?

I'd rather keep the +++ center depth and see what they have at 3LW between Sprong/Rust/ZAR/Cullen/etc. before I start moving deck chairs around

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:12 am 

If Crosby or Malkin go down for a stretch, Brassard could be a key cog. Nobody else on the roster that I'd be confident about for extended time on the 1st or 2nd line. That alone makes a trade a no no.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:31 am 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:

The oft-cited rumor is Pacioretty for Brassard. It's really a match made in heaven in a vacuum. Both players are on expiring contracts. If I had to guess, both players have about the same shot to re-sign with their current teams. Also, they're both about the same age and fill the need of the team interested in acquiring them. They also more or less make the same cap hit.

I spent about 30 minutes thinking about this trade. I just don't see the value in it for both teams.

For Montreal, it's definitely a situation where they're creating one hole to fill another. If you insert Brassard into that roster, he immediately becomes the 1C for the team. The logical next step would be to move Drouin back to LW to cover for the loss of Pacioretty. In my opinion, Pacioretty > Drouin by quite a bit, so any sort of upgrade would be neutral. Speaking of Montreal, what are they doing? They have playoff talent in the majority of their positions, but they're doing what they can to just shit it all away. Bergevin sucks.

For the Penguins, it makes a bit more sense. Despite Brassard likely holding more value because he's a center, Pacioretty is definitely the better player. I even think he'd work well on a line with Geno and Kessel. But here's the thing. Hagelin/Malkin work too well. I don't think the team is going to breakup Sid and Guentzel either, so Pacioretty is going to be the 3LW with Rust and Sheahan. Cullen works the 4th line with ZAR and Sprong most likely. So, what do you think sounds better here? Derrick Brassard (2C at best) or Pacioretty (1LW at best) playing third line minutes?

I'd rather keep the +++ center depth and see what they have at 3LW between Sprong/Rust/ZAR/Cullen/etc. before I start moving deck chairs around

I realize the sunk cost fallacy, but if we turn around and trade Brass after all we gave up for him I'm going to be fucking livid. I meant he dude has played like 30 games of the Pens? At least 1/4 of those games he was injured.

With consistent linemates and actually getting acclimated to his new team I feel like Brass hasn't reached his potential here yet. If he's struggling in Jan, then yeah fine think about moving him

The following season is going to be a mess with the 3C and 4C AGAIN. Brass and Sheahan are both FA's. If we trade Brass it should be for another C with term

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next