It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Penguins Offseason Thread 2018
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:44 am 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
his love of hot dogs

Gritty Kessel?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:09 pm 

Ice wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:
his love of hot dogs

Gritty Kessel?

Yea I don't understand this angle. They literally could've chosen any other food, yet they selected the trope about kessel, who is employed by their biggest rival

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:14 pm 

I mean, the cheese steak was too obvious? Soft pretzels? Roast pork sandwiches? Those greasy Old Bay fries Chickies and Pete's ripped off from Maryland? They had options.

Does Steely McBeam have a comical backstory, or did the Steelers FO drop the ball?

Incidentally, might be the first time anyone has put Gritty and Kessel in the same sentence.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:11 pm 

Kessel, by the way, appears to be in mid season form.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:27 am 

Ice wrote:
Kessel, by the way, appears to be in mid season form.

That first goal was vintage Phil.

The promised game stream never found its way to my part of the world but I did notice something interesting about the Pens lineup last night.
Almost all the big guns were in and on defense, it was all the top guys with the exception of Schultz. Riikola took his spot and played a good bit.
I don't know what to make of that and of course, Schultz is going to be there when the season starts unless they look to move him(or another defenseman).
Anyway, with Riikola it appears we have possibly our best 7th D man in a while.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:12 pm 

Seth Jones will miss 4-6 weeks with a knee injury. That's a big loss for Columbus.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:01 pm 

I'm still saying, if it comes down to only the 7th defenseman position, I'm not sure the kid isn't better off getting more minutes in WBS.

Was an interesting recent rumor about Nylander for a Metro defenseman left unnamed recently floated. Schultz?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:56 pm 

Schultz is knicked-that is why he is sitting.

Only seen Riikola twice but he looks comfortable on NHL ice.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:35 am 

fractalsteel wrote:
Ice wrote:
My first thought was "wow, they brought back Scott Hartnell?"

Seriously, though, that thing is going to give children nightmares. Hell, it's giving me nightmares right now.

Baby Eater is what some of my Flyers friends are calling it.

On another note, did any of you catch the game against Columbus Saturday afternoon?
I know it was mostly the real Pens Vs. the youngsters but Riikola had a very nice goal and some good plays in his own end. Plays a little bigger than he is.

Letang looked like he had is legs from 3 years ago again. That was the good. He still made some boneheaded plays in his own end.

Cullen was very good, he really could have helped us last year. Hopefully, he has a full tank left in him for the season.

Sprong had a strong effort as well, looked very comfortable.

Agree about Cullen - kind of pissed me off when he didn’t sign

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:13 pm 

I mentioned in one of these threads that Oleksiak wasn't a good "fit"

Riikola is that fit.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:58 pm 

Literal Piece if Shit Tom Wilson ejected for headshot in a fucking preseason game.

I don’t think there’s an athlete I have less respect for.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:03 pm 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Literal Piece if Shit Tom Wilson ejected for headshot in a fucking preseason game.

I don’t think there’s an athlete I have less respect for.

That makes what, 3-4 players suspended this preseason?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:02 pm 

Didn't see it posted, but the Pens final roster has been announced:

Forwards
Sidney Crosby, Jake Guentzel, Patric Hornqvist, Evgeni Malkin, Phil Kessel, Carl Hagelin, Derick Brassard, Dominik Simon, Bryan Rust, Matt Cullen, Riley Sheahan, Daniel Sprong, Derek Grant

Defensemen
Kris Letang, Brian Dumoulin, Olli Maatta, Jack Johnson, Jamie Oleksiak, Chad Ruhwedel, Justin Schultz, Juuso Riikola

Goaltenders
Matt Murray, Casey DeSmith

Biggest surprise is ZAR being sent down to Scranton. Honestly, I completely forgot about Derek Grant
Tristan Jarry is currently listed as an injury exemption, so that is freeing up a roster spot.
Also nice to see Riikola make the cut.

My completely useless guess at lines:
Simon - Crosby - Horny
Hagelin - Malkin - Kessel
Guentzel - Brassard - Sprong
Shehan - Cullen - Rust

Letang - Dumoulin
Maataa - Johnson
Oleksiak - Schultz

Murray

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:41 pm 

Mad about: Simon and Grant and no ZAR. Simon just doesn't impress me in any phase of the game. The definition of JAG. Surprised you keep Riikola up to eat nachos when he could be gaining playing time in WBS. DeSmith again? Is Jarry injured?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:25 pm 

I believe the Pens view Riikola as a top 6 defenseman who is NHL ready. The guy turns 25 in a month and played a ton the past three years in the Finnish pro leagues. I think he is going to displace someone soon and be part of the third pairing.
For his part, he looked like an NHL player this preseason. I just don't think playing at WBS is going to help him but practicing with real NHL players day in and day out will.

I don't know what his contract particulars are.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:39 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:
I don't know what his contract particulars are.

One year deal. Waivers exempt (if they want to send him to WBS). RFA after this season.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:06 pm 

So, displacing Rudy would be the easy part, getting him to #7. Now, who gets pushed to get Riikola into the top 6? Oleksiak is maybe our most physical defenseman, Schultz had a lousy season last year compared to his post-trade self, and Dumo may be a little nicked up, so there may be something there, I guess.

Still a little mad about Simon. Literally as close to a waste of a jersey as you can get.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:44 pm 

ZAR was able to be send down without having to clear wavers. Simon could not. That was likely the deciding factor.

I've also read in places that Sid likes playing with Simon. So take that for whatever its worth.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:51 pm 

Ice wrote:
So, displacing Rudy would be the easy part, getting him to #7. Now, who gets pushed to get Riikola into the top 6? Oleksiak is maybe our most physical defenseman, Schultz had a lousy season last year compared to his post-trade self, and Dumo may be a little nicked up, so there may be something there, I guess.

Still a little mad about Simon. Literally as close to a waste of a jersey as you can get.

The preseason is so little to go on but what I saw of Riikola in that time frame was nearly impressive. He was smart in his own end, has good hops and is a very good skater. He has a physical aspect to him even for being average sized. He has offensive skills that could be used on the PP.
Maybe the Pens move someone?
With Riikola I feel better about our depth on D.

Simon flashed his first chance with the big club but then he went back to being ordinary at best.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:14 pm 

Ice wrote:

The Brass-Simon- Rust line seemed to have a ton of chemistry, that's why Simon got a hat. And as was mentioned below, Sid is a big Simon fan

I wish they'd swap Sprong and Simon though

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:26 pm 

I'm right there with you on Sprong and Simon, Donnie. Sprong has talent; eating nachos and fourth line duties aren't going to do anything positive for his development at all.

Sprong might have his warts, but at least he has some outstanding talents to put to use, as opposed to the vanilla pudding that is Simon's game.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:31 am 

I believe the lines are perfect. I'd replace Oleksiak with Riikola. That's about it. As discussed earlier, the Penguins will likely need to move away from Justin Schultz next year. I think we're looking at an 8-man defensive rotation this season.

Simon does more for the team than ZAR does now. ZAR doesn't have the speed of an NHL player. He needs to learn more. Sid likes Simon because he's good in the neutral zone. I also think Sid's realized that Hornqvist is stuck to him and that Brass will likely get Simon.

I see Cullen as Sprong's tutor/mentor. Remember this is the PITTSBURGH PENGUINS and not whatever the fuck Rutherford was trying to do last season with Ryan Reaves and other randos playing 4th line minutes. A 4th line with Sheahan, Cullen, and Sprong will be nasty. Cullen may be a top-5 forward on the team, and he can sure carry that line.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:20 am 

Riikola looks like the real deal - great find by the Pens! I am not getting rid of Oleksiak, no freaking way. He has a ton of offensive potential and he can be physical which we need.

I say continue to watch and mold Riikola and dump Uh Oh Maata when the time is right. He slows this team down IMO.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:07 am 

Hacksaw Jim Duggan wrote:
I believe the lines are perfect. I'd replace Oleksiak with Riikola. That's about it. As discussed earlier, the Penguins will likely need to move away from Justin Schultz next year. I think we're looking at an 8-man defensive rotation this season.

Simon does more for the team than ZAR does now. ZAR doesn't have the speed of an NHL player. He needs to learn more. Sid likes Simon because he's good in the neutral zone. I also think Sid's realized that Hornqvist is stuck to him and that Brass will likely get Simon.

I see Cullen as Sprong's tutor/mentor. Remember this is the PITTSBURGH PENGUINS and not whatever the fuck Rutherford was trying to do last season with Ryan Reaves and other randos playing 4th line minutes. A 4th line with Sheahan, Cullen, and Sprong will be nasty. Cullen may be a top-5 forward on the team, and he can sure carry that line.

I think who they keep for next year boils down to Olek and Schultz: which one has the better season?

Schultz has the advantage of stepping in for Letang's annual injuries and Qbing the PP
Olek brings a different dimension with his size

Have to remember that Olek had some good moments w/ the Pens last year but seemed to be lost in the playoffs. Perhaps a year with the organization (much like Schultz before him) can round out his game?

Right now I'm thinking it's Schultz who stays and Olek is gone for next year.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:09 am 

If you're starting Sprong out on the 4th, and he moves up the lineup as he gains experience and (hopefully) improves, with Simple Simon eventually ending up on the 4th, than maybe I buy it.

As far as the idea that Sid likes Simon, therefore he must be good, that's silly. Jagr loved Kip Miller ("only Kippy can get me the puck..."). Didn't make Kip Miller good.

If Oleksiak can have himself a good season, and Riikola pans out well, being able to shed Schultz's salary could be a plus. Leaves you with Kris Letang as your sole PP QB, though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next