It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Penguins Offseason Thread 2018
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:40 am 

Ice wrote:
Leaves you with Kris Letang as your sole PP QB, though.

Unless Riikola is capable of filling that role, which could be plausible by the time the season is over, if all the hype is true.

And I say that without having seen most of the preseason games, so maybe I'm wrong. But everyone seems to be praising his poise and ability to carry the puck. Haven't heard much about his shot from the point, but it's not like Letang's is all that great either.

Unrelated, but I'll be in the house tonight! Didn't make it to a game last year, so I'm extra pumped to be there for the opener, and hope to make a few others as the season goes along.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:04 am 

Nice! Have a great time tonight, man.

As for Riikola's shot, Sami Kapanen, who ran his Euro team, said he had a "heavy shot from the point" in an interview, but there's no real frame of reference to that comment. And yeah, "better than Letang" isn't a high bar to get over where the point shot is concerned.

That said, a return to 2016 pre-injury Letang would make this team a serious Cup contender.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:17 am 

Ice wrote:

As for Riikola's shot, Sami Kapanen, who ran his Euro team, said he had a "heavy shot from the point" in an interview, but there's no real frame of reference to that comment. And yeah, "better than Letang" isn't a high bar to get over where the point shot is concerned.

That said, a return to 2016 pre-injury Letang would make this team a serious Cup contender.

Absolutely. I mean, he doesn't even have to get to that point, even. If he got back to 85% of that pre-2016 level, I think it makes an immense improvement for the entire team.

He doesn't have to be amazing, he just needs to not be a liability and anything above that is icing on the cake, as far as I'm concerned.

Cause if that happens, then I think we have a damn solid d group up and down the lineup.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:48 am 

I tend to agree, LLS.

Even with one minor anchor, I like the forward lines a lot, as well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:42 am 

Ice wrote:

Yea I'm very excited about Rikko too. Just trying to temper my expectations. 24 yr old with his first exposure to North American hockey is likely to experience some growing pains.

And it's refreshing to see a 4th line that doesn't consist mostly of Rowney- Kuhn - Reaves. Finally guys who can skate and are much closer to the Pens' identity.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7