It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Penguins Offseason Thread 2018
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:43 pm
Posts: 864
Y-Town Steel wrote:
Hacksaw how would you rank this Pens offseason so far? Best ever??


I think SUPER BEST EVER is probably more fitting. That trade the Penguins made for Oleksiak last year is still so fresh in my mind. I think it's a heavy contender for BEST NHL TRADE OF ALL TIME. I can't wait until Oleksiak justifies this trade somehow by scoring a big goal seven years from now while playing for some other team.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Penguins Offseason Thread 2018
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:55 pm
Posts: 1581
Heard Madden mention today that he’s hearing rumors of the Pens inquiring about Max Pacioretty. I’m not sure how the numbers work with that one, but GMJR has done more with less.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Penguins Offseason Thread 2018
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:43 pm
Posts: 864
Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Heard Madden mention today that he’s hearing rumors of the Pens inquiring about Max Pacioretty. I’m not sure how the numbers work with that one, but GMJR has done more with less.



The oft-cited rumor is Pacioretty for Brassard. It's really a match made in heaven in a vacuum. Both players are on expiring contracts. If I had to guess, both players have about the same shot to re-sign with their current teams. Also, they're both about the same age and fill the need of the team interested in acquiring them. They also more or less make the same cap hit.

I spent about 30 minutes thinking about this trade. I just don't see the value in it for both teams.

For Montreal, it's definitely a situation where they're creating one hole to fill another. If you insert Brassard into that roster, he immediately becomes the 1C for the team. The logical next step would be to move Drouin back to LW to cover for the loss of Pacioretty. In my opinion, Pacioretty > Drouin by quite a bit, so any sort of upgrade would be neutral. Speaking of Montreal, what are they doing? They have playoff talent in the majority of their positions, but they're doing what they can to just shit it all away. Bergevin sucks.

For the Penguins, it makes a bit more sense. Despite Brassard likely holding more value because he's a center, Pacioretty is definitely the better player. I even think he'd work well on a line with Geno and Kessel. But here's the thing. Hagelin/Malkin work too well. I don't think the team is going to breakup Sid and Guentzel either, so Pacioretty is going to be the 3LW with Rust and Sheahan. Cullen works the 4th line with ZAR and Sprong most likely. So, what do you think sounds better here? Derrick Brassard (2C at best) or Pacioretty (1LW at best) playing third line minutes?

I'd rather keep the +++ center depth and see what they have at 3LW between Sprong/Rust/ZAR/Cullen/etc. before I start moving deck chairs around


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Penguins Offseason Thread 2018
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 4322
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
If Crosby or Malkin go down for a stretch, Brassard could be a key cog. Nobody else on the roster that I'd be confident about for extended time on the 1st or 2nd line. That alone makes a trade a no no.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Penguins Offseason Thread 2018
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:55 pm
Posts: 4205
Hacksaw Jim Duggan wrote:
Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Heard Madden mention today that he’s hearing rumors of the Pens inquiring about Max Pacioretty. I’m not sure how the numbers work with that one, but GMJR has done more with less.



The oft-cited rumor is Pacioretty for Brassard. It's really a match made in heaven in a vacuum. Both players are on expiring contracts. If I had to guess, both players have about the same shot to re-sign with their current teams. Also, they're both about the same age and fill the need of the team interested in acquiring them. They also more or less make the same cap hit.

I spent about 30 minutes thinking about this trade. I just don't see the value in it for both teams.

For Montreal, it's definitely a situation where they're creating one hole to fill another. If you insert Brassard into that roster, he immediately becomes the 1C for the team. The logical next step would be to move Drouin back to LW to cover for the loss of Pacioretty. In my opinion, Pacioretty > Drouin by quite a bit, so any sort of upgrade would be neutral. Speaking of Montreal, what are they doing? They have playoff talent in the majority of their positions, but they're doing what they can to just shit it all away. Bergevin sucks.

For the Penguins, it makes a bit more sense. Despite Brassard likely holding more value because he's a center, Pacioretty is definitely the better player. I even think he'd work well on a line with Geno and Kessel. But here's the thing. Hagelin/Malkin work too well. I don't think the team is going to breakup Sid and Guentzel either, so Pacioretty is going to be the 3LW with Rust and Sheahan. Cullen works the 4th line with ZAR and Sprong most likely. So, what do you think sounds better here? Derrick Brassard (2C at best) or Pacioretty (1LW at best) playing third line minutes?

I'd rather keep the +++ center depth and see what they have at 3LW between Sprong/Rust/ZAR/Cullen/etc. before I start moving deck chairs around


I realize the sunk cost fallacy, but if we turn around and trade Brass after all we gave up for him I'm going to be fucking livid. I meant he dude has played like 30 games of the Pens? At least 1/4 of those games he was injured.

With consistent linemates and actually getting acclimated to his new team I feel like Brass hasn't reached his potential here yet. If he's struggling in Jan, then yeah fine think about moving him

The following season is going to be a mess with the 3C and 4C AGAIN. Brass and Sheahan are both FA's. If we trade Brass it should be for another C with term


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Penguins Offseason Thread 2018
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:43 pm
Posts: 864
They'll likely sign Sheahan if he performs well long term. I dont think JR considers him a third center. So yeah, it's going to likely come from a FA signing or trade. Next years team is going to have to make more moves to get under the cap.

I think any salary should come from the D. Schultz makes 5+ million. Letang 7+. Johnson 3+. Olli 4+. Dumo 4+. That's a lot of investment in a position that could likely be replaced in areas. One has to go next season. I pointed to Schultz. Age, tradeability, and contract make him a solid target. I think the Penguins plan has been hoping that Johnson becomes a replacement in the top 4.

Schultz being replaced likely pays for Guentzel's extension. I know Rust is a valuable player, but with that salary for a bottom 6 guy with how this team is structured, I just don't see him sticking around for long after next season. The good thing is that a lot of questiones will be answered simply based on how certain players perform this season. I think there's a bit of excitement that comes with that because it will enhance the regular season experience for a team that is an automatic for the playoffs.

Hope some prospects develop and hope some guys take discounts.

As I said before, this season may be the team's last best chance to win it all for awhile. At this point, I'm expecting a Brassard type of TDL deal for Skinner or Pacioretty. So, probably just a 1st rounder, a prospect like Jarry, and something else.


*Edit* Sid offered to workout with Simon during the summer. I wonder if the front office did this out of extreme necessity, as they probably know how important he becomes with ZAR to keeping the train going.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Penguins Offseason Thread 2018
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:55 pm
Posts: 4205
Hacksaw Jim Duggan wrote:
They'll likely sign Sheahan if he performs well long term. I dont think JR considers him a third center. So yeah, it's going to likely come from a FA signing or trade. Next years team is going to have to make more moves to get under the cap.



Theres the rub: it takes BOTH parties to want to get a deal done as an UFA.

I think Sheahan likes it here, but if he's gonna get the hard defensive zone faceoffs and is expected to toil on the 4th line I'm thinking he goes elsewhere where he'll: 1) get more TOI and 2) bet paid more than a 4C


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Penguins Offseason Thread 2018
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:55 pm
Posts: 1581
Oleksiak extended 3 years at around $2.1M/per.


Rutherford also talking about the center position in a press conferences and said the current plan was to try Brassard at wing, with the caveat of "Just because we try it, doesn't mean we have to stick to it".


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Penguins Offseason Thread 2018
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:55 pm
Posts: 4205
Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Oleksiak extended 3 years at around $2.1M/per.


Rutherford also talking about the center position in a press conferences and said the current plan was to try Brassard at wing, with the caveat of "Just because we try it, doesn't mean we have to stick to it".


And Our defense continues to get more expensive. But that's what happens when you don't have any youngsters coming up who are cheap on the blueline.
Could you imagine if Geno/Sid took contracts that were market value? We'd barely have a team


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Penguins Offseason Thread 2018
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:55 pm
Posts: 1581
Donnie Brasco wrote:
Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Oleksiak extended 3 years at around $2.1M/per.


Rutherford also talking about the center position in a press conferences and said the current plan was to try Brassard at wing, with the caveat of "Just because we try it, doesn't mean we have to stick to it".


And Our defense continues to get more expensive. But that's what happens when you don't have any youngsters coming up who are cheap on the blueline.
Could you imagine if Geno/Sid took contracts that were market value? We'd barely have a team



For sure. In a vacuum, I don't think it's a bad contract for Oleksiak. There's been worse defensemen who got paid a lot more this offseason (one of them may even be on our team, depending on who you ask).

But yeah, added all together, that's a ton of money for a defensive core that, to put it lightly, wasn't very good last year.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group