It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ryan Reaves having success in Western Conf Finals
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:30 pm 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
steel wrote:
Steel Ubaldo wrote:
Glad to see Reaves is doing well. Really liked him. I believe that moving him this year before the playoffs was a HUGE mistake. It’s difficult to get all fired up at Rutherford after back to back Cups but the move made no sense.

He is showing his value now.

How is he showing his value, exactly?

He hasn't even played in over half of the games Vegas has played in the playoffs, and only got a sweater because William Carrier is out with an injury, meaning Reaves could very well be a healthy scratch again before this series is even over.

He's made absolutely no positive impact on the stat sheet, whatesoever. 0 goals, 0 assists, -1 +/-, 4 PIM.

Hell, he hasn't even been good at the one thing he's supposed to be good at, as he's routinely gotten out-gooned by Dustin Byfuglien.

I guess I don't value 4th line players in terms of goals/assists/points like you do. There are some guys who bring good energy and shut down players on the other team, and make things harder for the other team. It doesn't always get reflected in a stat line.

Ryan Reaves emerged from the Vegas Golden Knights’ dressing room late Wednesday, his right eye a little swollen but a gigantic smile plastered on his face.

The reason was his team’s 4-2 win over the Winnipeg Jets in Game 3 of the Western Conference final at T-Mobile Arena, a game in which Reaves not only played but starred.

In 9:42, Reaves delivered six hits and blocked a shot while playing a key energy role on a fourth line with Pierre-Edouard Bellemare and Ryan Carpenter, a trio that was entrusted with shifts against top Jets scorers such as Blake Wheeler and Patrik Laine.

It’s a dose of responsibility that Reaves rarely saw during his brief time in Pittsburgh, and he had zero problem pinpointing why things never really worked out during an interview with the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:05 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:
How about a Tanner Glass thread?

Yup, and after that one we can look into what Craig Adams, George Laraque and Ruslan Fedotenko are up to these days.

This pretty much sums up the pointlessness of the thread, which goes well with Reaves' pointless postseason. Of course, with this posted, Reaves will score the game winning goal in Game 7 of the Cup Final.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:34 pm 

steel wrote:
steel wrote:

He is showing his value now.

How is he showing his value, exactly?

He hasn't even played in over half of the games Vegas has played in the playoffs, and only got a sweater because William Carrier is out with an injury, meaning Reaves could very well be a healthy scratch again before this series is even over.

He's made absolutely no positive impact on the stat sheet, whatesoever. 0 goals, 0 assists, -1 +/-, 4 PIM.

Hell, he hasn't even been good at the one thing he's supposed to be good at, as he's routinely gotten out-gooned by Dustin Byfuglien.

I guess I don't value 4th line players in terms of goals/assists/points like you do. There are some guys who bring good energy and shut down players on the other team, and make things harder for the other team. It doesn't always get reflected in a stat line.

Ryan Reaves emerged from the Vegas Golden Knights’ dressing room late Wednesday, his right eye a little swollen but a gigantic smile plastered on his face.

The reason was his team’s 4-2 win over the Winnipeg Jets in Game 3 of the Western Conference final at T-Mobile Arena, a game in which Reaves not only played but starred.

In 9:42, Reaves delivered six hits and blocked a shot while playing a key energy role on a fourth line with Pierre-Edouard Bellemare and Ryan Carpenter, a trio that was entrusted with shifts against top Jets scorers such as Blake Wheeler and Patrik Laine.

It’s a dose of responsibility that Reaves rarely saw during his brief time in Pittsburgh, and he had zero problem pinpointing why things never really worked out during an interview with the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

I fully understand the role of a 4th liner. I understand scoring isn't everything and not even most things.

I'm saying you, and this blatant puff-piece of an article that was written solely to be borderline clickbait to the yinzer "Pownd da rawk!" fanbase, are grossly overstating it's importance in the 2018 version of the NHL.

Vegas was one of the best teams in the regular season, and then the most dominating team in the playoffs...all before Ryan Reaves ever even entered the lineup.

You really think that now that he's suddenly there, he deserves credit for them playing well?

Or do you think that maybe you, and this article, are trying to squeeze that team's success into an agenda?

I think it's a giant heaping of that second one. And I like Reaves! Seems like a good dude. Wish he was better and could have stuck around. But he wasn't. So no he's a guy that was a healthy scratch for most the playoffs, and probably will be again before the playoffs are over.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 6:41 pm 

steel wrote:
you guys could start those threads, but i didn't see any articles published in the Post Gazette today about any of those jagoffs

However, i did share the article about Ryan Reaves in this thread

If you don't like it, don't fuckin' read it

Steel,
I don't believe you are being honest here. I think you posted this because of your obsession with the player and because you wanted to goad Hacksaw into another argument.
Like Crosby4life posted prior, the piece in the PG was fluff and meant to get clicks.

I have no ill will towards the player and if hoists the cup this year I'll be happy for him and the other former Pens on the Vegas roster.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:53 pm 

We would not still be in the playoffs had we kept Ryan Reaves.

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:54 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:
steel wrote:
you guys could start those threads, but i didn't see any articles published in the Post Gazette today about any of those jagoffs

However, i did share the article about Ryan Reaves in this thread

If you don't like it, don't fuckin' read it

Steel,
I don't believe you are being honest here. I think you posted this because of your obsession with the player and because you wanted to goad Hacksaw into another argument.
Like Crosby4life posted prior, the piece in the PG was fluff and meant to get clicks.

I have no ill will towards the player and if hoists the cup this year I'll be happy for him and the other former Pens on the Vegas roster.

I won't lie- you're right. But that's only part of it. I do think we lost a lot when we lost a guy like Kunitz -- maybe not the fastest guy in the world, but he plays with an edge. Similar to Reaves. I think you need a guy like Kunitz or Reaves in the playoffs if you want to go far. We let Kunitz leave, we traded for Reaves and then..... we didn't use him. That's what the article was about.

Anyway, I will note that the 4th line scored another goal for Vegas tonite (Reaves +1).

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:57 am 

We never completely replaced Kunitz. I was on board with trying to replace #14 with Reaves but after a few weeks, it was OBVIOUS to most that he could only fill the physical end of things that Kuni brought. Reaves will never be much of an offensive threat.

The Pens play a style under Sullivan that is NOT fitting to what Reaves can do(which is limited IMO). If Sullivan couldn't find a place for Reaves in the way he wanted his team to play then I'm going to side with the HC's decision to scratch him.
I mean Sullivan came in right away and proved that his system worked with his current team and unfortunately for Reaves there was NO true place for him in that system.

I get the fourth line ideal but even under Sullivan, that line has to more than be tough to play against. They have to produce from time to time. I'll bet that if Cullen had stayed Reaves still would have been an odd cog in the machine.

Nothing against the player. He should be happy because he is so close to playing for it all.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 4:49 pm 

Reaves scores go-ahead goal in Game #5 of conference finals!! Hahaha...where's Steel??

He's only played 5:09 total in first two periods, though.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:03 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
Reaves scores go-ahead goal in Game #5 of conference finals!! Hahaha...where's Steel??

Yea I’m amazed that this guy can play 9 mins/game for the best team in hockey and yet we couldn’t work him into our rotation

By the way Swiss - that is a GAME WINNING goal sending his team into the SC Finals

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:20 pm 

steel wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:

Yea I’m amazed that this guy can play 9 mins/game for the best team in hockey and yet we couldn’t work him into our rotation

By the way Swiss - that is a GAME WINNING goal sending his team into the SC Finals

You're right, Steel.....turned out that way. My post was mid-way through 2nd period. Didn't realize Reaves is from Winnipeg.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next