It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Ryan Reaves having success in Western Conf Finals
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:31 am 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
steel wrote:

I never said he would put us over the top

But he brings an element to the game that we were sorely lacking

I’m amazed he couldn’t earn time on a team that didn’t even make the ECF but yet he’s playing quality minutes for the best team in hockey— maybe he’s not so bad

What exactly were we lacking?

We lost because of the following:
1. Goaltending was subpar - Last I saw, RR doesn't play goal
2. Defensive coverage was atrocious (especially Letang) - RR is average defensively. He's not going to win any Selke Awards in his career or be in the conversation
3. Secondary scoring - this is the only X factor or possibility you can hang your hat on. Maybe RR pots a couple goals, but his track record indicates that he isn't exactly a known scorer or playoff performer

Look, I like Reaves and think he's a decent hockey player. I'm happy for all the former Pens (save for James Neal) having so much success with LV. But Reaves isn't the reason we lost to the Caps, nor is he the reason LV in in the SCF.

Reaves is definitely a better fit for a Western Conf team. Reaves looked out of place on the Pens, much like Kuhn/Rowney does and Kunitz did before them. We play at a pace that isn't suited for those guys. Not saying you shouldn't have a few of those heavy players in your lineup, but having or not having them are gonna move the needle much.

I am adamant that without Letang's breakdowns, we win the semis against Washington...this despite only Sid's line scoring and Murray's averageness.

(I would not make any promises that we could have beaten Tampa or Las Vegas, though).

But yes- I wanted Reaves to succeed with us- wanted him to be a cheap Kunitz...which was the most we could have hoped from him.

Trading him away was NOT the reason we didn't threepeat, and is NOT the reason Vegas is in the Cup Finals.

Hell...without injury, Reaves would have never seen the ice in the playoffs.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:39 am 

Let's be real...the player we missed most after the trades was Cole. He could have helped us much more so than Reaves against the Caps.

That topic should have been the article subject.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:08 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:
steel wrote:

I never said he would put us over the top

But he brings an element to the game that we were sorely lacking

I’m amazed he couldn’t earn time on a team that didn’t even make the ECF but yet he’s playing quality minutes for the best team in hockey— maybe he’s not so bad

2. Defensive coverage was atrocious (especially Letang) - RR is average defensively. He's not going to win any Selke Awards in his career or be in the conversation
3. Secondary scoring - this is the only X factor or possibility you can hang your hat on. Maybe RR pots a couple goals, but his track record indicates that he isn't exactly a known scorer or playoff performer

Look, I like Reaves and think he's a decent hockey player. I'm happy for all the former Pens (save for James Neal) having so much success with LV. But Reaves isn't the reason we lost to the Caps, nor is he the reason LV in in the SCF.

Reaves is definitely a better fit for a Western Conf team. Reaves looked out of place on the Pens, much like Kuhn/Rowney does and Kunitz did before them. We play at a pace that isn't suited for those guys. Not saying you shouldn't have a few of those heavy players in your lineup, but having or not having them are gonna move the needle much.

I am adamant that without Letang's breakdowns, we win the semis against Washington...this despite only Sid's line scoring and Murray's averageness.

(I would not make any promises that we could have beaten Tampa or Las Vegas, though).

But yes- I wanted Reaves to succeed with us- wanted him to be a cheap Kunitz...which was the most we could have hoped from him.

Trading him away was NOT the reason we didn't threepeat, and is NOT the reason Vegas is in the Cup Finals.

William Carrier, aka the guy Reaves is filling in for, has resumed skating with the team in practice and will likely be back in time for the Finals to start. It's going to come down to either Tomas Tatar or Reaves losing his spot once Carrier is back, and literally no one seems to care which it is due to how little it matters (A quick 30 second search through a Vegas message board didn't turn up a single mention of it). Only mention of i could find was from CBS Sports, which speculated that Reaves was most likely to lose his spot.

But, you know, he's just so invaluable.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 10:42 pm 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:

William Carrier, aka the guy Reaves is filling in for, has resumed skating with the team in practice and will likely be back in time for the Finals to start. It's going to come down to either Tomas Tatar or Reaves losing his spot once Carrier is back, and literally no one seems to care which it is due to how little it matters (A quick 30 second search through a Vegas message board didn't turn up a single mention of it). Only mention of i could find was from CBS Sports, which speculated that Reaves was most likely to lose his spot.

But, you know, he's just so invaluable.

he just scored another Goal -- this time in the SCF -- douchebags!!

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 10:44 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:
If Vegas wins the cup I hope Reaves gets to play in at least one game-that is the only way he gets his name on the cup.

yea, if Vegas wins, I'm pretty sure Reaves will get his name on the Cup

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 11:48 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:
Let's be real...the player we missed most after the trades was Cole. He could have helped us much more so than Reaves against the Caps.

That topic should have been the article subject.

The player we missed was Brassard

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:39 am 

Reaves scores another huge goal right after cross checking Carlson from behind.

I remain happy for him.

Go Knights!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:26 am 

Steel Ubaldo wrote:
Reaves scores another huge goal right after cross checking Carlson from behind.

I remain happy for him.

Go Knights!

the commercial break before the goal, the replays showed a sure Vegas goal thwarted when a Washington player crosschecked a Vegas player and knocked him down before the puck got there... so it's clear they're not going to call anything in the blue paint.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:37 pm 

I'm still amazed that Reaves can get 10 min of playing time per game for the best team in hockey

scoring super important goals in huge games....

and yet, he couldn't find the ice in Pgh --

Rutherford traded real assets to get Reaves, and then Sully wouldn't play him

There must be a bit of breakdown between coach/GM here

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:05 pm 

LouisLippService wrote:
He hasn't even played in over half of the games Vegas has played in the playoffs, and only got a sweater because William Carrier is out with an injury, meaning Reaves could very well be a healthy scratch again before this series is even over.

Would you look at that! The second William Carrier comes back from injury, Ryan Reeves no longer has a place on the game day roster. Man, what a vital piece to the puzzle he must have been!

If only there was a way to see this coming. If only.....