It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Letter from Mike Sullivan
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:55 pm
Posts: 1581
https://www.nhl.com/penguins/team/a-message-from-mike-sullivan?partnerId=pit-twt-penguins

Love it.

Definitely reads like something Sully wrote himself and not something the PR department dreamt up.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Letter from Mike Sullivan
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:18 pm
Posts: 10265
class act..still cant believe we lost..thought somehow sully find the magic to prevail again..


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Letter from Mike Sullivan
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:04 pm
Posts: 2671
We can't wait to see you in September. 120 days. Just over 17 weeks. It seems long, but the echo of your cheers will be loud enough for me to hear until we meet again."

As lucky as we are to have the core of the team we do, we are as lucky to have this guy as our leader behind the bench.

_________________
Black holes have no hair.
https://twitter.com/sinceflyerscup?lang=en


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Letter from Mike Sullivan
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:08 pm
Posts: 6058
What should be highlighted is the fact that Sully pointed to community, not individualism. Pgh, the fans, team work. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts. Nothing can be done without looking out for your team mate. Humility and sacrifice for the greater good. This cannot be emphasized enough. It's what lead to the success of the team. Without it, you have a collection of individuals that only look out for themselves instead of community and the ultimate goal. Sacrifice is what lead to back to back Stanley Cups, and a run for a threepeat. This much is clear. It cannot be debated.

Looking out for yourself is only a detriment to the progress of the team.

Others should look to this as an example.

_________________
"I wish Fraudlin would get testicular cancer and die after he watches me anally penetrate his wife."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Letter from Mike Sullivan
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:55 pm
Posts: 1581
fractalsteel wrote:
We can't wait to see you in September. 120 days. Just over 17 weeks. It seems long, but the echo of your cheers will be loud enough for me to hear until we meet again."

As lucky as we are to have the core of the team we do, we are as lucky to have this guy as our leader behind the bench.


And, conversely, I came away from this thinking that Sully understands just how great he has it to be in Pittsburgh. He has what almost has to be the best ownership in the business for a head coach, an all time great as his Captain, another generational talent as his Assistant Captain, and a fan base that just wants him to succeed while also understanding just how bad Penguins hockey was just 15 years ago.

I think he understands the best way to succeed in this town is to become part of it, and it's a message he pushes to his players as well.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Letter from Mike Sullivan
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 4322
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
Nice to hear him mention Phil's season.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Letter from Mike Sullivan
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:55 pm
Posts: 4205
"They almost became too confident in late comebacks and their resilient nature. "

Truth


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Letter from Mike Sullivan
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:06 am
Posts: 3646
Already legendary in his third year.

Then there is Tomlin.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Letter from Mike Sullivan
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 4322
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
Donnie Brasco wrote:
"They almost became too confident in late comebacks and their resilient nature. "

Truth


It is. If you've played a game every three days for 1,000 or so days straight (including a ridiculous amount of back-to-backs this season, considering), though, it's easy to fall into that trap simply out of the fact that you physically can't play 100% for whole games. More times this season than any of the Sullivan tenure, I found myself saying "if only we could play that way for 60 minutes." There's a reason nobody's done it in 35 years, and never in the salary cap era. Hell, until this team (I know, it is known), nobody had gone back to back with a cap.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Letter from Mike Sullivan
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:04 pm
Posts: 2671
Louis Lipps Service wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:
We can't wait to see you in September. 120 days. Just over 17 weeks. It seems long, but the echo of your cheers will be loud enough for me to hear until we meet again."

As lucky as we are to have the core of the team we do, we are as lucky to have this guy as our leader behind the bench.


And, conversely, I came away from this thinking that Sully understands just how great he has it to be in Pittsburgh. He has what almost has to be the best ownership in the business for a head coach, an all time great as his Captain, another generational talent as his Assistant Captain, and a fan base that just wants him to succeed while also understanding just how bad Penguins hockey was just 15 years ago.

I think he understands the best way to succeed in this town is to become part of it, and it's a message he pushes to his players as well.


Like most professionals, I'll wager that Sullivan learned early on in his NHL career that if you embrace the community and are a solid part of its citizenry then that community will embrace you back as well.
Sullivan probably got his first taste of the Pens organization when he became the HC at WBS. When he took the HC position with the big team he saw first hand what a top-notch organization Mario and Burkle have built.

In place already where the foundations that Fleury, Crosby and Letang, to name a few had built. I know that Flower was a big part of the Pittsburgh community. Letang as well. And how many kids have Sid put in hockey gear over the years? Thousands.
Like Mario, Crosby has helped the youth push for hockey development in Western PA now for the past decade. Ditto for Letang and Fleury as well.

Sullivan was an excellent person to add to what is already a top-notch organization in the NHL.

_________________
Black holes have no hair.
https://twitter.com/sinceflyerscup?lang=en


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
cron
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group