It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs Caps Game 6 game comments
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:56 am 

Just listening to the Fan and reading Madden twitter - apparently Caps fans are flooding local media with trash talk. Hahahahahahaha now I know what it feels like to be a Pats fan in the times of social media.

Unfortunately Rooney’s relative bunch have never beaten the Pats in the playoffs.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:04 am 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Suwanee88 wrote:
Yeah I saw the first goal. He often shows the 5 hole and shuts it down often too - didn’t work on that shot - you expect the guy to be perfect? He played 10X better in game 6. They could have won. Give Holtby his due but we couldn’t crack their defensive scheme more than Murray lost it and our defense sucks. That simple - I am not blaming Murray for that loss last night - sorry:

I don't FULLY blame him for the loss but he had a huge hand in it. To get beat by the SAME MOVE by the same player just isn't excusable for me. I get breakways are tough but he just has to have it. He wouldn't have been in the position to HAVING to have it if he didn't allow the softy first goal.

People don't realize that the type of goal allowed plays a significant role with the team's psyche. Do you think there was any confidence on that bench after that leaky goal? It was MAF-esque when he was down in the dumps circa 2012

Murray ended up with a .908 SV. That's wretched.
Letang again screwed some defensive coverages royally. When your best players aren't your best players you end up losing.

I agree re: total playoffs but that was his best game of the series IMO-

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:40 am 

Suwanee88 wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:
Suwanee88 wrote:
Yeah I saw the first goal. He often shows the 5 hole and shuts it down often too - didn’t work on that shot - you expect the guy to be perfect? He played 10X better in game 6. They could have won. Give Holtby his due but we couldn’t crack their defensive scheme more than Murray lost it and our defense sucks. That simple - I am not blaming Murray for that loss last night - sorry:

I don't FULLY blame him for the loss but he had a huge hand in it. To get beat by the SAME MOVE by the same player just isn't excusable for me. I get breakways are tough but he just has to have it. He wouldn't have been in the position to HAVING to have it if he didn't allow the softy first goal.

People don't realize that the type of goal allowed plays a significant role with the team's psyche. Do you think there was any confidence on that bench after that leaky goal? It was MAF-esque when he was down in the dumps circa 2012

Murray ended up with a .908 SV. That's wretched.
Letang again screwed some defensive coverages royally. When your best players aren't your best players you end up losing.

I agree re: total playoffs but that was his best game of the series IMO-

Game 1 was his best game

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:29 am 

Murray wasn't at his best. He was outplayed by Holtby by a pretty large margin and that was the difference in the series. But even with Murray being mediocre The Pens likely would have won if Letang wasn't so awful. But lets be a little appreciative and put things in perspective. Until last night Matt Murray had never lost a playoff series. Repeating is hard. Three-peating is damn near impossible. Pens didn't lose because of lack of effort or hustle or desire. They just weren't playing elite hockey, they ran into a hot goaltender, and the Caps are a good enough team to exploit weaknesses and mistakes (defensive breakdowns, shaky glove hand). And Washington played a real good game 6 even with key players out of the lineup.

Last edited by SteelPro on Tue May 08, 2018 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:51 am 

Credit to the Caps, they were the better team over the series.

They beat the Pens three straight games which I would never have believed would happen with this group.

The three-peat was a dream and dreams rarely come true. Still, all in all, this was the best 2+ years of Pens hockey I have experienced.

I still think this group(with a tweak) can win it one more time.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:56 am 

fractalsteel wrote:

They beat the Pens three straight games which I would never have believed would happen with this group.

The three-peat was a dream and dreams rarely come true. Still, all in all, this was the best 2+ years of Pens hockey I have experienced.

Actually, they beat the Pens two straight...twice.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:11 am 

swissvale72 wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:

Actually, they beat the Pens two straight...twice.

Of course, still not what I would have expected.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:47 am 

SteelPro wrote:
Murray wasn't at his best. He was outplayed by Holtby by a pretty large margin and that was the difference in the series. But even with Murray being mediocre The Pens likely would have won if Letang wasn't so awful. But lets be a little appreciative and put things in perspective. Until last night Matt Murray had never lost a playoff series. Repeating is hard. Three-peating in damn near impossible. Pens didn't lose because of lack of effort or hustle or desire. They just weren't playing elite hockey, they ran into a hot goaltender, and the Caps are a good enough team to exploit weaknesses and mistakes (defensive breakdowns, shaky glove hand). And Washington played a real good game 6 even with key players out of the lineup.

100%

Murray wasn't great, but wasn't bad either.

I've been critical of his glove hand, but I think the commentary with regards to it has hit the point where it's outpaced the reality.

It's now to the point where if they score high glove side, it's automatically assumed to be a bad goal...and that's just not true in a lot of cases.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:48 am 

In the last three losses, Maatta either gave up a key goal or failed to convert a golden chance. It seemed like the offense died when it got on his stick. I can’t remember him making any real good plays in his zone. Letang will rightfully take a lot of grief, but Maatta is a larger problem.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 1:16 pm 

Interesting that all the focus is on Murray, Letang, and Maata.

Crosby and Malkin were irrelevant. The two supposed best players on the team didn't do much to affect the game. At least that's what it looked like to my tired eyes. Conversely, the two or three best players on the caps showed up and had an impact.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 1:29 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:

Crosby and Malkin were irrelevant. The two supposed best players on the team didn't do much to affect the game. At least that's what it looked like to my tired eyes. Conversely, the two or three best players on the caps showed up and had an impact.

That's because Letang and Maata were actively hurting their team.

Sid and Malkin were playing their asses off for all 200 feet. They obviously didn't show up on the stat sheet as much as they should have, which I largely credit to Washington and their strategy of crowding the middle of the ice and reducing us to dump and chase, but Crosby and Malkin at least weren't hurting us in other aspects of the game.

I can't same the same for Letang or Maata who routinely let guys blow by them on the way to clean looks at our own net.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 1:55 pm 

Maata was +8 in the playoffs, the highest DMan and better than anyone not named Jake Guentzal who had 21 pts.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 2:42 pm 

Zeke5123 wrote:
In the last three losses, Maatta either gave up a key goal or failed to convert a golden chance. It seemed like the offense died when it got on his stick. I can’t remember him making any real good plays in his zone. Letang will rightfully take a lot of grief, but Maatta is a larger problem.

I can't agree with this. Maata got his legs swept out from under him on the GWG (not his fault) and yes he missed that open net, but he's not really known for his offense.

Maata played his role as a safe and reliable dman. Letang did not

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 2:46 pm 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
SteelPro wrote:
Murray wasn't at his best. He was outplayed by Holtby by a pretty large margin and that was the difference in the series. But even with Murray being mediocre The Pens likely would have won if Letang wasn't so awful. But lets be a little appreciative and put things in perspective. Until last night Matt Murray had never lost a playoff series. Repeating is hard. Three-peating in damn near impossible. Pens didn't lose because of lack of effort or hustle or desire. They just weren't playing elite hockey, they ran into a hot goaltender, and the Caps are a good enough team to exploit weaknesses and mistakes (defensive breakdowns, shaky glove hand). And Washington played a real good game 6 even with key players out of the lineup.

100%

Murray wasn't great, but wasn't bad either.

I've been critical of his glove hand, but I think the commentary with regards to it has hit the point where it's outpaced the reality.

It's now to the point where if they score high glove side, it's automatically assumed to be a bad goal...and that's just not true in a lot of cases.

I don't even care about his "glove hand issues" and think they are overblown myself. Look around the league at how many dudes are getting beat glove side- again that side naturally has a larger space to shoot at

I'm talking about the leaky goals: the first goal last night, the 2nd goal in Game 5, the 2 breakaways. the 3rd goal in Game 5. All those were preventable goals and shots that routinely get stopped by today's goalies.

Did Murray get hung out to dry occasionally this series? Yea and he bailed this team out in Game 1. But beyond that he was below average

The culprits for me:
1. Murray
2. Letang
3. Secondary scoring

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 2:51 pm 

SteelPro wrote:
, and the Caps are a good enough team to exploit weaknesses and mistakes (defensive breakdowns, shaky glove hand). And Washington played a real good game 6 even with key players out of the lineup.

This is a great point. For all the shit we heaped on Trotz, you have to give him major points for changing his personnel and tactics

Knowing he was down his #1 C he rightfully trapped a Pens team that could have destroyed the Caps.
He changed Dmen on the fly when he didn't see a matchup he liked on the road. And he swapped in a couple speedy forwards to overcome and overwhelm a tired Pens team

Felt like in previous series he was content with just running the status quo. Seemed like he did more tactical adjustments these last 2 games than I had seem from him vs the past 3 seasons. Maybe Mike Tomlin could learn a thing or 3 from Mr. No-Neck

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 3:16 pm 

This is a pretty good write up of why the Pens lost.

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/2018 ... -capitals/

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:28 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:

The Caps got secondary scoring and support,

We did not,

You cannot expect your stars to carry you in the playoffs. It doesn't work like that.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:44 pm 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
COR-TEN wrote:

That's because Letang and Maata were actively hurting their team.

Sid and Malkin were playing their asses off for all 200 feet. They obviously didn't show up on the stat sheet as much as they should have, which I largely credit to Washington and their strategy of crowding the middle of the ice and reducing us to dump and chase, but Crosby and Malkin at least weren't hurting us in other aspects of the game.

I can't same the same for Letang or Maata who routinely let guys blow by them on the way to clean looks at our own net.
Thats like saying it's ok that Bell got 65 yards on 18 carries, BR threw for 200 yards, and AB pulled in 7 catches for 70 yards in a playoff loss. No points. But they really put in an effort and tried. I'm not buying it. I understand play doesn't necessarily translate to the stat sheet, but in the biggest game of the season, Crosby and Malkin(and Kessel) should be making an impact. It didn't look like it to me.

Last edited by COR-TEN on Tue May 08, 2018 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:46 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
COR-TEN wrote:

The Caps got secondary scoring and support,

We did not,

You cannot expect your stars to carry you in the playoffs. It doesn't work like that.

From the article Obviously posted: "The Penguins scored 14 goals in this series. Sidney Crosby was on the ice for 13 of them."

Sid is the absolute last player who deserves blame for this series.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm not overly upset with this loss....although the ones that live in DC have my condolences. It was an amazing 2 year run.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:54 pm 

Pabst wrote:
From the article Obviously posted: "The Penguins scored 14 goals in this series. Sidney Crosby was on the ice for 13 of them."
So what? I'm no statistician, and am not going to scrub tape, but he may have been on the ice for those goals, but how many of them did he have an influence on?

Besides, Doesn't one expect your best offensive players to score goals and get assists? Again, it's like being OK with LeBron James scoring 20 with 5 assists in a season ending playoff game.

I'm not suggesting there isn't blame to go around, but seriously, It's like Crosby and Malkin are above criticism for not playing like superstars when they are identified as superstars. Take this from somebody that doesn't know shit about hockey.

I'm also not overly upset. As has been stated, two consecutive cups is incredibly hard, and a threepeat is virtually unheard of. I'm completely ok with this loss. They've given me much pleasure over the last two years. I'd thank each and every player and coach. Hats off to them.

Last edited by COR-TEN on Tue May 08, 2018 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 5:07 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
Pabst wrote:
So what? I'm no statistician, and am not going to scrub tape, but he may have been on the ice for those goals, but how many of them did he have an influence on?

Besides, Doesn't one expect your best offensive players to score goals and get assists? Again, it's like being OK with LeBron James scoring 20 with 5 assists in a playoff game.

I'm not suggesting there isn't blame to go around, but seriously, It's like Crosby and Malkin are above criticism for not playing like superstars when they are identified as superstars.

I'm also not overly upset. As has been stated, two consecutive cups is incredibly hard, and a threepeat is virtually unheard of. I'm completely ok with this loss. They've given me much pleasure over the last two years. I'd thank each and every player and coach. Hats off to them.

Sid had 8 points in the series, which tied for the lead among both teams (Guentzel). I think a more accurate analogy would be LeBron putting up 50 and no one else scoring in double digits.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 5:16 pm 

Pabst wrote:
COR-TEN wrote:
Pabst wrote:

Besides, Doesn't one expect your best offensive players to score goals and get assists? Again, it's like being OK with LeBron James scoring 20 with 5 assists in a playoff game.

I'm not suggesting there isn't blame to go around, but seriously, It's like Crosby and Malkin are above criticism for not playing like superstars when they are identified as superstars.

Sid had 8 points in the series, which tied for the lead among both teams (Guentzel). I think a more accurate analogy would be LeBron putting up 50 and no one else scoring in double digits.
I guess I'm suggesting that when it really mattered, they were absent. Zero goals, zero assists, zero game saving plays. Let me be clear. I'm not bashing them. Sid and Geno are amazing players, and the rest of the team let them down.

Last edited by COR-TEN on Tue May 08, 2018 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 5:16 pm 

take away murrays softie goals and pens already moving on to tampa. if he played like holby we moving on instead of caps. I'm not saying hes entirely to blame but it could be that simple too..

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 5:23 pm 

I have not read any of this thread. I watch every game and read most posts in this forum though. There's something I've wanted to get off my chest for a while though and it's not because the Pens just got eliminated either....I know Malkin is a big man and considered more of a thoroughbred, but I get so tired of his lackadaisical effort on the routine plays. He's amazing 20% of the time when he is hustling, but man, the other 80% of the time he makes, what appear to be, lazy, stupid mistakes all over the ice. Is it me, or does anyone else notice that. Hornquist is about the same size (a few inches shorter) but he busts his ass the whole time he's out there.

A few more smaller observations...

Letang plays so undisciplined at times.

Kessel was either really hurt or got old, like real fast.

Oh well, next year I guess.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 5:25 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
I guess I'm suggesting that when it really mattered, they were absent. Zero goals, zero assists, zero game saving plays. Let me be clear. I'm not bashing them. Sid and Geno are amazing players, and the rest of the team let them down.

Sid scored the goal in Game 5 to bring it to 2-2. Sid also cleanly won the faceoff to set up Letang's game-tying goal in Game 6. Sorry, I just don't lay any of this at Sid's feet.

Geno played like crap. Kessel played like crap. Brassard played like crap. Letang and Maatta both had some major mistakes. Murray let in some softies. Sheary and Rust were invisible. There's plenty of blame to go around - I just don't think Crosby is in the top 10.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next