It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs Caps Game 6 game comments
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:53 pm 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Ice wrote:
It's funny, but the "lazy Russian" tag seems to somehow get applied to Malkin to this day, even though it's about a decade or two out of date.

He still has his lazy days. Though I personally didn't think it was an issue this playoff. I thought his effort was where it needed to be. He just wasn't healthy after the lower body injury.

I don't agree with the criticism of Rust either, aside from the "didn't score enough" label that can be applied to everyone on the team. I thought, in the past two games specifically, he showed some flashes of skill that I never in a million years would have guessed he even had (and I'm saying that as a fan of Rust's). He dangled the puck around some defenders several times, which has never really been his MO.

Man I wish I would have seen that, but I didn't. To me Rust had the same affliction as just about everyone else. They all seemed to be trying to stick handle through heavy traffic and kept getting stripped of the puck. In most cases credit to Washington for baiting that trap. In a few cases they were just losing puck on their own (you reading this Mr. Kessel?) To be honest Kuhnhackl and Sheahan were probably the only forwards not on the top line that seemed to have any clue what to do with the puck. The issue wasn't laziness, lack of heart, lack of desire etc... Sometimes you just have to give some credit to the opponent. And injury/fatigue was probably factoring in here as well.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:00 pm 

Ice wrote:
It's funny, but the "lazy Russian" tag seems to somehow get applied to Malkin to this day, even though it's about a decade or two out of date.

He still has his lazy days. Though I personally didn't think it was an issue this playoff. I thought his effort was where it needed to be. He just wasn't healthy after the lower body injury.

I don't agree with the criticism of Rust either, aside from the "didn't score enough" label that can be applied to everyone on the team. I thought, in the past two games specifically, he showed some flashes of skill that I never in a million years would have guessed he even had (and I'm saying that as a fan of Rust's). He dangled the puck around some defenders several times, which has never really been his MO.

No doubt that Malkin takes a game here or there off but that is in the regular season. Every player in the NHL can be accused of such. The season is a grind and to this point in his career and through 5 HC's I've never heard one of them criticize Malkin for such, even Thierren.

I wasn't really criticizing Rust for his play, I was pointing out that he had been a factor in secondary scoring the past two runs-mostly playing with Malkin and Kunitz. That is why I pushed for a line of Rust/Malkin/Hornqvist because that would be a tough line to match up against.
Rust was clutch during the back to back run but like so many of his teammates this year he wasn't.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:20 pm 

SteelPro wrote:
Ice wrote:

Man I wish I would have seen that, but I didn't. To me Rust had the same affliction as just about everyone else. They all seemed to be trying to stick handle through heavy traffic and kept getting stripped of the puck. In most cases credit to Washington for baiting that trap. In a few cases they were just losing puck on their own (you reading this Mr. Kessel?) To be honest Kuhnhackl and Sheahan were probably the only forwards not on the top line that seemed to have any clue what to do with the puck. The issue wasn't laziness, lack of heart, lack of desire etc... Sometimes you just have to give some credit to the opponent. And injury/fatigue was probably factoring in here as well.

It was definitely there. I made some comments about in the gameday threads, even.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:36 pm 

SteelWill wrote:
at least Letang has a hot wife...to go w/ his millions of $s...

ha..maybe she can convince his over paid ass to retire! :P can pens cut him without killing them cap wise? I don't know the cap reality in nhl. be great to trade his ass to some unsuspecting chump gm.. 7.5 million a year would be better spent elsewhere.
well tonight we coulda been celebrating our game 7 win.. :cry:

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:38 pm 

bam morris wrote:
SteelWill wrote:
at least Letang has a hot wife...to go w/ his millions of $s...

ha..maybe she can convince his over paid ass to retire! :P can pens cut him without killing them cap wise? I don't know the cap reality in nhl. be great to trade his ass to some unsuspecting chump gm.. 7.5 million a year would be better spent elsewhere.
well tonight we coulda been celebrating our game 7 win.. :cry:

I seriously doubt the Pens are going to trade Letang. I believe he has modified no-trade clause in his contract making it more difficult to execute if they went that way.

One thing that has rarely been spoken here is that Letang and his wife suffered a miscarriage during the first cup run. I believe it happened at the beginning of the playoffs in 2016.
I don't know for sure but his game really started to suffer about then and injuries followed him the next year.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:08 pm 

Teammates (particularly Crosby quoted) gave Letang a full vote of confidence on cleanout day, as did coach and GM.

Sully not-so-subtly throws Phil under the bus about possible injury, while going out of his way to excuse Brassard, who was "playing with one he couldn't overcome." All this after saying he wasn't going to discuss injuries. Geno, Sid will skip non-NHL off-season hockey.

Rutherford struck a softer tone discussing Kessel. Also said "looking to make changes to improve" or some such. Also, "Sprong will be a regular in the lineup next season."

Phil left town without speaking to the media.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:29 pm 

Ice wrote:
Teammates (particularly Crosby quoted) gave Letang a full vote of confidence on cleanout day, as did coach and GM.

Sully not-so-subtly throws Phil under the bus about possible injury, while going out of his way to excuse Brassard, who was "playing with one he couldn't overcome." All this after saying he wasn't going to discuss injuries. Geno, Sid will skip non-NHL off-season hockey.

Rutherford struck a softer tone discussing Kessel. Also said "looking to make changes to improve" or some such. Also, "Sprong will be a regular in the lineup next season."

It's increasingly likely the pens lost a sniper? Not following, but I didn't see kessel freaking out on the bench and talking to himself as usual. Maybe I missed it.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:11 pm 

There were a few times Phil being The Phil on the bench showed, and just a couple where Sullivan looked a little annoyed with him, just from looking at the facial expressions involved.

Buddy of mine mentioned that Tocchet drew high praise from Phil, and might have been a go-between for HC and player, smoothing the road a little bit.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:20 pm 

Ice wrote:

Interesting stuff.
Kessel had his best statistical regular season this year.

As far as Sprong goes, I'll believe it when I see it.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 5:13 pm 

I've been a big fan of The Phil in Pittsburgh. He's got years of prime left, and I hope they can work it out, assuming there's something to work out, that is.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next