It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Place your bets right now re: Wilson suspension
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:02 am 

I say no.

Here’s a Hockey News article on Wilson which essentially mirrors the comments Mike Milbury and Keith Jones re: Tom Wilson.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/artic ... tom-wilson

I’m going with Wilson won’t be suspended. I’m thinking he wouldn’t have been suspended even if Aston-Reese died.

This is where many in the NHL want the game to be.

Hell...whenever Wilson’s contract is up...the Penguins should make a run for him.

He’s a Reaves that can play.

So my vote is no...we’ll find out shortly, so make your call now.

Post subject: Re: Place your bets right now re: Wilson suspension
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:08 am 

My vote is no. He will not be suspended.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:14 am 

Caps are headhunting, pens aren't expecting it.

No, he won't get suspended.

Pens better match the physicality or this series is over. Pens have been out checked, out shot, out skated, out everything'd for 3 games. They are lucky to have scored at all. Caps defense is clogging up the middle and the pens have no answer.

It should be 3-0 caps.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:38 am 

NHL Player Safety

@NHLPlayerSafety
Washington’s Tom Wilson will have a hearing today for an illegal check to the head on Pittsburgh’s Zach Aston-Reese.

9:31 AM - May 2, 2018
337 people are talking about this

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:40 am 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
NHL Player Safety

@NHLPlayerSafety
Washington’s Tom Wilson will have a hearing today for an illegal check to the head on Pittsburgh’s Zach Aston-Reese.

In person or over the phone? In person (i think) is a 3 game minimum

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:43 am 

COR-TEN wrote:
Pens better match the physicality or this series is over. Pens have been out checked, out shot, out skated, out everything'd for 3 games. They are lucky to have scored at all. Caps defense is clogging up the middle and the pens have no answer.

It should be 3-0 caps.

That's actually false. They were outshot and outhit in Game 1, but have either been almost completely even or had the advantage in both categories in Games 2 and 3.

Game 3 - Shots even, Hits 52-41 Pens
Game 2 - Shots 33-32 Pens, Hits 33-31 Caps
Game 1 - Shots 34-25 Caps, Hits 44-24 Caps

I personally believe we've played fairly well defensively in our own end. They're not getting a ton of chances when they're setup in our own zone and when they do get chances they're often caused by a bad rebound from Murray. The problem is we've given up WAY too many fast break points off of horrible turnovers and bad line changes, which should theoretically be correctable (although I realize we've been saying that for months now).

And the other difference has been that Holtby has been outplaying Murray by a significant margin. We're getting chances in the offensive zone, they're just not getting behind Holtby enough.

I suspect Sully's adjustment is going to be to have the D-men be less aggressive on the pinching in game 4. If you limit these awful fast break opportunities, I think these games start looking a bit more in our favor.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:45 am 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
NHL Player Safety

@NHLPlayerSafety

I guess the broken jaw did do it then.

That or they want to make sure this series goes 6-7. 8-)

My question is and always will be...how is it player safety can end up ruling for a suspension, but the officials can huddle on the ice, discuss it and not come up with a five minute major penalty?

I mean...seriously how can they not do that?

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:54 am 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
COR-TEN wrote:

It should be 3-0 caps.

That's actually false. They were outshot and outhit in Game 1, but have either been almost completely even or had the advantage in both categories in Games 2 and 3.

I personally believe we've played fairly well defensively in our own end. They're not getting a ton of chances when they're setup in our own zone and when they do get chances they're often caused by a bad rebound from Murray. The problem is we've given up WAY too many fast break points off of horrible turnovers and bad line changes, which should theoretically be correctable (although I realize we've been saying that for months now).

And the other difference has been that Holtby has been outplaying Murray by a significant margin. We're getting chances in the offensive zone, they're just not getting behind Holtby enough.

I suspect Sully's adjustment is going to be to have the D-men be less aggressive on the pinching in game 4. If you limit these awful fast break opportunities, I think these games start looking a bit more in our favor.

The over-aggressive pinching and poor communication with the forwards while doing it has been a problem all season. It’s been a problem every game this series.

If it hasn’t been corrected by now, I have an issue thinking it will be by Game 4.

Hoping I’m wrong.

I tend to agree with Orange (I think it was Orange) that they’re doing it because they want to generate more offense against Holtby because he’s been so damn good.

That is going to make it hard for them to stop doing it.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:57 am 

COR-TEN wrote:

It should be 3-0 caps.

Numbers may be accurate, but the quality of chances and the violence of the hits are still won by the caps, imo. They are also skating faster to loose pucks and space.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:00 am 

Jeemie wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:
NHL Player Safety

@NHLPlayerSafety

I guess the broken jaw did do it then.

That or they want to make sure this series goes 6-7. 8-)

My question is and always will be...how is it player safety can end up ruling for a suspension, but the officials can huddle on the ice, discuss it and not come up with a five minute major penalty?

I mean...seriously how can they not do that?

I mean, if the refs didn't see it, or thought it was shoulder on shoulder, then that's what they saw. You can certainly criticize them for not seeing it correctly, but when you're trying to determine things like that in real time, without the benefit of any replay, with guys who are skating 25 mile per hour, there's going to be missed calls

The department of player safety has the benefit of replay, so it makes sense that they should be able to see things the refs didn't. So in theory, those two things aren't necessarily related. It should be absolutely possible for the refs to miss a call but the department of player safety still suspend a guy.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:47 am 

This article is from 4/30 (before the ZAR hit):

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2018/04/30/on-tom-wilson-player-safety-and-avoiding-suspension/

Quote:
He avoided a suspension on this one because, in the NHL’s view (via ESPN’s Greg Wyshynski), head contact was unavoidable because Dumoulin, in bracing for contact from an oncoming Alex Ovechkin, changed the position of his head just prior to contact. There did not seem to be any word on the changing position of Wilson’s shoulder, which seemed to play just as big of a role in the contact as Dumoulin changing the position of his head.

He avoided a suspension in the first-round on the Wennberg hit because the DoPS could not determine if the head was the main point of contact given the available camera angles.

Viewed in a vacuum and as isolated incidents those explanations might hold up. They might make sense. They might even be justified.

Here is the problem with that: This same thing keeps happening with Tom Wilson.

He always seems to find himself in these positions. He always seems to find himself at the center of the controversial play where “there is nothing else he could have done,” or “the contact could not be avoided,” or “there was not a clear view of what happened.” No matter the situation, no matter the hit, no matter the result, there is an always an excuse for why it was okay or why it shouldn’t have been elevated to the level of supplemental discipline. The story of his career to this point can probably be summed up as: Hey, that was probably a bad hit with an unfortunate result for the guy on the receiving end of it but there just wasn’t enough evidence to suspend him … this time.

Since entering the NHL at the start of the 2013-14 season no player in the NHL has been penalized more than Wilson. His 806 penalty minutes in the regular season are 85 more than the next closest player, and he is one of just three players in the league to be assessed more than even 600 penalty minutes during that stretch (Antoine Roussel at 721 and Cody McLeod at 707) are the only others.

Quote:
When it comes to Wilson and the plays he has been involved in throughout his career there is always some amount of gray area in them. The Lazar play could be written off as accidental. Same as the Dumoulin play. Maybe the head wasn’t the main point of contact or targeted on Wennberg or Zadorov. On any one of them you can look at them and come to the conclusion that it wasn’t the intended result, or that isn’t what he was going for, or that there was some other extenuating circumstance that made the play what it was.

At what point, though, does this no longer become an accident?

If a player — in this case, Wilson — keeps finding himself in these situations when does it stop becoming an unfortunate series of events and start becoming a trend? At what point does it simply become about the player that is the common denominator in all of these situations?

At any given time there are more than 700 players on NHL rosters and there are only a small handful of them that we keep having these discussions about when it comes to their style of play and the incidents they are involved in. Matt Cooke used to be one of those players. Raffi Torres used to be one of those players. Brad Marchand, quite famously, is still one of them. And like Wilson, Marchand always seems to leave enough gray area for debate on a lot of his incidents (the old, accidentally on purpose type of play). Even though he has been suspended and fined more than any other player in the league during the DoPS era, there are countless other plays that seem to toe that line.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:58 am 

What the Pen's players have to do is duck his hit and go at his knees, provided they see him coming. He is not interested in ever playing the puck in these situations - he's looking to hit only. So, knowing that, duck his hit, put your shoulder into his knee (hopefully at an angle) and blow his fucking knee to pieces. Hell rise him up and over you and onto his head or back onto the ice. I think he is a dirty piece of shit.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:48 am 

I just watched this video that was posted by the Department of Player Safety's Twitter account a few days. It explains some of their recent decisions on player suspensions (or non-suspensions) on hits to the head. The Dumolin hit was one of them.

Watching it makes me less confident that Wilson is getting anything. Basically, if the player getting hit makes any movement at all, or the contact so much as brushes another body part before hitting the head, it's not the offending players' fault.

https://twitter.com/NHLPlayerSafety/status/991108076731338753

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:58 am 

I just watched this video that was posted by the Department of Player Safety's Twitter account a few days. It explains some of their recent decisions on player suspensions (or non-suspensions) on hits to the head. The Dumolin hit was one of them.

Watching it makes me less confident that Wilson is getting anything. Basically, if the player getting hit makes any movement at all, or the contact so much as brushes another body part before hitting the head, it's not the offending players' fault.

They generally don't offer hearings if you aren't getting suspended.

Wilson is getting something

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 12:12 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:

They generally don't offer hearings if you aren't getting suspended.

Wilson is getting something

They'll occasionally go the fine route after a hearing. It'd be absolutely insane for them to do that...but it wouldn't shock me.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 12:19 pm 

I have heard it's just a telephone hearing, so at most a one game suspension.

A fine could still be in the cards, though.

I can't believe with the Wennberg hit their excuse was "they couldn't tell if the head was the definitive point of contact with the available camera angles".

One would think the fact that Wilson LAUNCHED himself at a helpless Wennberg who was frozen in place by Ovechkin being on the other side of him would supersede that. Just like the fact that Wilson deliberately shouldered Dumoulin would supersed the fact that Dumo had to move his head to avoid Ovi.

But this is an NHL that, like the NFL, wants to pretend it cares about player safety rather than actually do something about it.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 12:46 pm 

Jeemie wrote:

I can't believe with the Wennberg hit their excuse was "they couldn't tell if the head was the definitive point of contact with the available camera angles".

One would think the fact that Wilson LAUNCHED himself at a helpless Wennberg who was frozen in place by Ovechkin being on the other side of him would supersede that. Just like the fact that Wilson deliberately shouldered Dumoulin would supersed the fact that Dumo had to move his head to avoid Ovi.

But this is an NHL that, like the NFL, wants to pretend it cares about player safety rather than actually do something about it.

It’s amazing that the DoPS seemingly is always run by goons. Maybe have a skill player run it and you’ll see actual discipline?

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 12:50 pm 

Jeemie wrote:

Just found the link. Telephone hearing is a maximum of 5 games, and a fine of at least $5,000

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 12:58 pm 

Jeemie wrote:

For me the Dumo and Wennberg hits were way worse than what happened last night. It isn't whether there was significant head contact or not in my mind, but the fact that they were both predatory.
Neither player knows (or at least expects) that Wilson is behind them.

At least with last night's hit you could say with any other player: it was a check that went high and that Zar should have seen him coming

Typical of the NHL to fuck this up

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:14 pm 

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/legitima ... rumpetfish

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:17 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/legitimatedizzyasiantrumpetfish

shoulder with perfect, square contact to the jaw. bingo.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:25 pm 

https://www.facebook.com/jagoffs/videos ... 703370809/

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:54 pm 

these head hunting and dirty hits need to end..these type of players should not be involved in nhl..after they show all they do is head hunt they should be suspended then kicked out .. its insane to me with all the brain injury talks now in sports this shit happens..then the fuckers in booth review each millisecond to show exact spot and where feet are ect..bullshit. u hit the fucking head . u targeted a skater..should be quick and decisive.. Wilson shoulda been ejected as repeat offender. not patrolling for the next victim to sucker hit..i love hitting..but they can hit in the fucking chest..not leaning shoulders in chins and faces..its ridiculous.. will it take a shazier moment or death on ice for this head hunting to end or penalized?

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:22 pm 

Still no announcement.

Wilson probably showed up to the meeting with a bunch of special needs kids and spent the day giving a sob story about how he needs his game checks to provide for them.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:24 pm 

Still no announcement.

Wilson probably showed up to the meeting with a bunch of special needs kids and spent the day giving a sob story about how he needs his game checks to provide for them.

Hahahahaha.