It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Place your bets right now re: Wilson suspension
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:02 am 

I say no.

Here’s a Hockey News article on Wilson which essentially mirrors the comments Mike Milbury and Keith Jones re: Tom Wilson.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/artic ... tom-wilson

I’m going with Wilson won’t be suspended. I’m thinking he wouldn’t have been suspended even if Aston-Reese died.

This is where many in the NHL want the game to be.

Hell...whenever Wilson’s contract is up...the Penguins should make a run for him.

He’s a Reaves that can play.

So my vote is no...we’ll find out shortly, so make your call now.

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."

Post subject: Re: Place your bets right now re: Wilson suspension
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:08 am 

My vote is no. He will not be suspended.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:14 am 

Caps are headhunting, pens aren't expecting it.

No, he won't get suspended.

Pens better match the physicality or this series is over. Pens have been out checked, out shot, out skated, out everything'd for 3 games. They are lucky to have scored at all. Caps defense is clogging up the middle and the pens have no answer.

It should be 3-0 caps.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:38 am 

NHL Player Safety

@NHLPlayerSafety
Washington’s Tom Wilson will have a hearing today for an illegal check to the head on Pittsburgh’s Zach Aston-Reese.

9:31 AM - May 2, 2018
337 people are talking about this

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:40 am 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
NHL Player Safety

@NHLPlayerSafety
Washington’s Tom Wilson will have a hearing today for an illegal check to the head on Pittsburgh’s Zach Aston-Reese.

In person or over the phone? In person (i think) is a 3 game minimum

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:43 am 

COR-TEN wrote:
Pens better match the physicality or this series is over. Pens have been out checked, out shot, out skated, out everything'd for 3 games. They are lucky to have scored at all. Caps defense is clogging up the middle and the pens have no answer.

It should be 3-0 caps.

That's actually false. They were outshot and outhit in Game 1, but have either been almost completely even or had the advantage in both categories in Games 2 and 3.

Game 3 - Shots even, Hits 52-41 Pens
Game 2 - Shots 33-32 Pens, Hits 33-31 Caps
Game 1 - Shots 34-25 Caps, Hits 44-24 Caps

I personally believe we've played fairly well defensively in our own end. They're not getting a ton of chances when they're setup in our own zone and when they do get chances they're often caused by a bad rebound from Murray. The problem is we've given up WAY too many fast break points off of horrible turnovers and bad line changes, which should theoretically be correctable (although I realize we've been saying that for months now).

And the other difference has been that Holtby has been outplaying Murray by a significant margin. We're getting chances in the offensive zone, they're just not getting behind Holtby enough.

I suspect Sully's adjustment is going to be to have the D-men be less aggressive on the pinching in game 4. If you limit these awful fast break opportunities, I think these games start looking a bit more in our favor.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:45 am 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
NHL Player Safety

@NHLPlayerSafety

I guess the broken jaw did do it then.

That or they want to make sure this series goes 6-7. 8-)

My question is and always will be...how is it player safety can end up ruling for a suspension, but the officials can huddle on the ice, discuss it and not come up with a five minute major penalty?

I mean...seriously how can they not do that?

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:54 am 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
COR-TEN wrote:

It should be 3-0 caps.

That's actually false. They were outshot and outhit in Game 1, but have either been almost completely even or had the advantage in both categories in Games 2 and 3.

I personally believe we've played fairly well defensively in our own end. They're not getting a ton of chances when they're setup in our own zone and when they do get chances they're often caused by a bad rebound from Murray. The problem is we've given up WAY too many fast break points off of horrible turnovers and bad line changes, which should theoretically be correctable (although I realize we've been saying that for months now).

And the other difference has been that Holtby has been outplaying Murray by a significant margin. We're getting chances in the offensive zone, they're just not getting behind Holtby enough.

I suspect Sully's adjustment is going to be to have the D-men be less aggressive on the pinching in game 4. If you limit these awful fast break opportunities, I think these games start looking a bit more in our favor.

The over-aggressive pinching and poor communication with the forwards while doing it has been a problem all season. It’s been a problem every game this series.

If it hasn’t been corrected by now, I have an issue thinking it will be by Game 4.

Hoping I’m wrong.

I tend to agree with Orange (I think it was Orange) that they’re doing it because they want to generate more offense against Holtby because he’s been so damn good.

That is going to make it hard for them to stop doing it.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:57 am 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
COR-TEN wrote:

It should be 3-0 caps.

Numbers may be accurate, but the quality of chances and the violence of the hits are still won by the caps, imo. They are also skating faster to loose pucks and space.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:00 am 

Jeemie wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:
NHL Player Safety

@NHLPlayerSafety

I guess the broken jaw did do it then.

That or they want to make sure this series goes 6-7. 8-)

My question is and always will be...how is it player safety can end up ruling for a suspension, but the officials can huddle on the ice, discuss it and not come up with a five minute major penalty?

I mean...seriously how can they not do that?

I mean, if the refs didn't see it, or thought it was shoulder on shoulder, then that's what they saw. You can certainly criticize them for not seeing it correctly, but when you're trying to determine things like that in real time, without the benefit of any replay, with guys who are skating 25 mile per hour, there's going to be missed calls

The department of player safety has the benefit of replay, so it makes sense that they should be able to see things the refs didn't. So in theory, those two things aren't necessarily related. It should be absolutely possible for the refs to miss a call but the department of player safety still suspend a guy.