It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs Caps Game 1 game comments
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:30 am 

Sid-Jack from State Farm-Horny on the ice for all five goals in this game; Ovie line on for four of the five.

LOVE those Ovie fuck-ups (Sid's goal).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:56 am 

Orangesteel wrote:
The Pens played good but they can play much better. It was shitty to be down that early; likely deflated them a bit which is why the chances didn’t come until the end of the 1st period. The 4th line took much of the game off but provided a great shift towards the end of the game, cycling the puck and using the points.

I’m telling you, OV, Kuznetsov and Oshie; after that, there is a huge void of talent on the Caps roster. Orlov is pretty good but really none of their other defense scare me that much.

Just can’t have any lapses like they did 17 seconds in. And the commentators called something I notice when watching them this year as well; they absolutely love to send the far winger streaking up the ice. When it’s OV, great. But the other guys; well just keep an eye on it.

Pens played discipline hockey. Even the late high stick penalty was totally fluky since Guentzel got spun around on Smith Pelly’s check attempt. Stay out of the box and the Ws will come much easier.

Agree about the Caps Orange. They aren’t as scary as last year at least on paper.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:12 am 

2nd Pens goal is all you need to know about the difference between what it takes to win

Ovi doesn't move his feet at all in the defensive zone. He'll go balls to the wall if he's got the puck or someone is gonna get him the puck for a scoring opportunity. Other than that- he's just not interested in any defensive facet of the game.

That 2nd goal...even if he moves his feet to get closer to Sid, that puck probably isn't even passed/attempted over because the lane is gone. Ovi was and continues to not understand the effort it takes from a team defense standpoint to win in the playoffs. Hell Phil Kessell is a better playoff defender than Ovi- that is not exaggeration

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:24 am 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
2nd Pens goal is all you need to know about the difference between what it takes to win

Ovi doesn't move his feet at all in the defensive zone. He'll go balls to the wall if he's got the puck or someone is gonna get him the puck for a scoring opportunity. Other than that- he's just not interested in any defensive facet of the game.

That 2nd goal...even if he moves his feet to get closer to Sid, that puck probably isn't even passed/attempted over because the lane is gone. Ovi was and continues to not understand the effort it takes from a team defense standpoint to win in the playoffs. Hell Phil Kessell is a better playoff defender than Ovi- that is not exaggeration

But, but I saw Ovie block a shot in game 5 against Columbus.

That miss early in the first period where he had half the net to bury it and he missed(badly) summed it up last night.

I think he understands what needs to be done but it doesn't fit the kind of game he wants to play.
Great goal scorer, beastly at times but all around...nope.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:54 am 

fractalsteel wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:

That miss early in the first period where he had half the net to bury it and he missed(badly) summed it up last night.

I think he understands what needs to be done but it doesn't fit the kind of game he wants to play.

Wasn't it Ovie that flopped down in front of Schultz on the first goal as well? All that seemed to do was give Schultz a clear lane to fire it toward the net.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:04 am 

Pabst wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:

Wasn't it Ovie that flopped down in front of Schultz on the first goal as well? All that seemed to do was give Schultz a clear lane to fire it toward the net.

Yes it was...weak-assed attempt at a block.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:46 am 

Donnie Brasco wrote:

So true. reminds me of that meme a few years ago where it literally looked like someone unplugged Ovie’s XBOX controller. That’s how bad he often is in his own zone.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:13 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:
So true. reminds me of that meme a few years ago where it literally looked like someone unplugged Ovie’s XBOX controller. That’s how bad he often is in his own zone.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:33 pm 

Pabst wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:

Never gets old

And yes that was Ovi who flopped on the ice to try and block Schultz's shot.
Again, that's a detail Ovi misses: if that's Letang, yup get down on the ice because Letang has his head down and he'll probably either miss the net completely or blow it right into your shinpad. But Schultzy is the LAST guy you want to try that against because he's so good at holding the line at the point. It's a tall order for any F at the point vs JS, but he can't erase himself from the play and that's precisely what Ovi did.

Ovi is completely lost withouth the puck and it blows my mind he's got such a low defensive hockey IQ and that he doesn't understand he has to put some effort into stopping the goals as much as creating them. I just don't fuckin get it....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:13 pm 

Pabst wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:

Yeah, about that...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next