It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Unless a miracle finish, bring on the Capitals again
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:59 pm 

SteelPro wrote:
I know. It is way more important to Washington. I think if they fall behind in this series they will crumble.
See, I have my doubts about that. It's definitely going to seven games in my mind. Craps had two season ending series to fix that lack of "mettle." I think they are hungrier than ever and without comparison to last year.

There were times in the philly series that the pens looked vulnerable. On multiple occasions. Last year, they didn't as much. At least for me, anyway.

The craps might not be the same team as last year, but then again, neither are the pens.

I guess I'm just trying to manage expectations. . .

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:41 pm 

SteelPro wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:
Inevitable.

I will be surprised if this series doesn't go 6-7 games.

The health of Hagelin and Malkin are questions right now.

Have to find ways to get Sheahan more minutes in this series because he was good against Philly.

Probably. But I also think the first game of this series will be huge. Given the roadblock the Penguins and the second round of the playoffs have been for the Caps, the result of Game 1 is going to have a very large effect on their psyche.

I'm thinking a split is a mission accomplished first two games. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if Washington comes out and handles us game 1 only to see the Birds win game 2.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:43 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
SteelPro wrote:
I know. It is way more important to Washington. I think if they fall behind in this series they will crumble.
See, I have my doubts about that. It's definitely going to seven games in my mind. Craps had two season ending series to fix that lack of "mettle." I think they are hungrier than ever and without comparison to last year.

There were times in the philly series that the pens looked vulnerable. On multiple occasions. Last year, they didn't as much. At least for me, anyway.

The craps might not be the same team as last year, but then again, neither are the pens.

I’m where you are right now.

If we beat Washington again, I’ll feel better even though it will then be a quantum leap up on the level of competition from then on.

I’ve been managing my expectations all year long. Still have faith in Sullivan because a Pens’ team coached by him hasn’t lost in postseason yet...but I haven’t really felt a threepeat was in the cards all year long.

Crosby ha given me a little extra hope by coming out mostly on fire in the postseason...like he’s going to try and will this team past its vulnerabilities...but I need more consistent play from Murray and the D to truly believe.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:33 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
SteelPro wrote:

Hunger has nothing to do with mettle. You either pass the test or you don't. And until you actually pass the test it is just natural to question whether you can. If the Caps get behind the eight ball you telling me you expect they'll be a poised team ready to stare down adversity? I think they'll start gripping their sticks like they are chocking the life out of them. They will have that 1000 yard stare and wear the "here we go again" faces. It is just like what happens when the Steelers play the Patriots.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:55 pm 

SteelPro wrote:
It is just like what happens when the Steelers play the Patriots.

I'm not used to my team being the Patriots.

8-)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:08 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:

Just wish the Pens would have home ice. Why those poor games back in November/December actually mean a lot now (though Pens were road warriors against the Flyers)

Needless to say, home ice is highly over-rated in the SC playoffs.

Didn't we beat Wash 2 years in a row w/o home ice advantage?

And as you mention, the Flyers series definitely showed that home ice means almost nothing

It's not like football, where the noise level can actually affect play-calling.

The only advantage in hockey, and it can be a big one, is the last change advantage. But great NHL coaches also know how to negate this.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:10 pm 

steel wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:

Just wish the Pens would have home ice. Why those poor games back in November/December actually mean a lot now (though Pens were road warriors against the Flyers)

And as you mention, the Flyers series definitely showed that home ice means almost nothing

The only advantage in hockey, and it can be a big one, is the last change advantage. But great NHL coaches also know how to negate this.

Yeah, home ice advantage really isn't all that important.

I don't think Sullivan, nor the team ever made it a priority, and for good reason.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:02 pm 

steel wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:

We’ll see how important it is this year.

The previous two runs, the Pens had home ice advantage three of the four series.

This will be the exact opposite.

Of course, all five times they’ve won the Cup, they were on the road for the clincher, so who knows?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:10 pm 

pens/pats >> caps/steelers...
:shock:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:26 pm 

bam morris wrote:
pens/pats >> caps/steelers...
:shock:
Ugh.

I just threw up a bit in my mouth.

You had to go there. . .

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:30 pm 

Look, the Pens are a fantastic road team, but sooner or later I think being at home a majority of the games will pay off. It’s from 2013 but some meat on that bone:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1630882-how-much-does-home-ice-matter-in-the-stanley-cup-playoffs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:10 pm 

Game 1 Thursday night. I was hoping for a delay until at least Friday, given Malkin & Hagelin injuries....neither practiced today. Oh...also 3rd year in a row that Steelers/Capitals open their series on Draft Night.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:02 pm 

Malkin and Hagelin are both 'day to day' according to Sully. All he would elaborate on was that Malkin has a lower-body injury and Hagelin an upper-body injury.

Thursday is going to be a weird day. The angst of yet another series starting and the Steelers pick which could turn this board on its side.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:22 pm 

Agreed Fractal. I watched/listened to the podcasts on the draft that B2B et al did and they were excellent, but I can’t believe how annoyed with the Steelers I am still from that loss to JAX. I need to move on.

The Pens run these last few years have been the greatest. Incredible success.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:45 pm 

The podcasts are great work.

The past two years have been bittersweet. You know what is coming with the Steelers when the postseason starts. The Pens have given us two of my favorite Pittsburgh sports years.
Back to back championships command respect.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:49 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:
Malkin and Hagelin are both 'day to day' according to Sully. All he would elaborate on was that Malkin has a lower-body injury and Hagelin an upper-body injury.

Thursday is going to be a weird day. The angst of yet another series starting and the Steelers pick which could turn this board on its side.

Here's where I am with this, Fractal....
*Penguins have Mario Lemieux; Steelers have The Douchebag Art II
*Penguins have Mike Sullivan: Steelers have The Dumbass Mike Tomlin

This time of year particularly, I have zero confidence in Steelers winning another Super Bowl with this fuckin' dope as Head Coach. It's only when I fall for his bullshit again in September...Tomlin being that Little Bitch Lucy holding the football, that I start to believe again.

So, no weirdness for me on Thursday. It's all Penguins; if the game ends in time for the Steelers first pick, I'll watch it, if not I'll read about it.

Go PENGUINS!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:24 pm 

Fair enough.

The Pens will have my pulse Thursday night. I'm a fan of the NFL draft and in particular, who the Steelers select.

As Penguin fans, we should be incredibly thankful for an ownership(GM) like Lemiuex/Burkle(Rutherford)-their plan worked.

As long as we have Ben...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:57 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:

Here's where I am with this, Fractal....
*Penguins have Mario Lemieux; Steelers have The Douchebag Art II
*Penguins have Mike Sullivan: Steelers have The Dumbass Mike Tomlin

This time of year particularly, I have zero confidence in Steelers winning another Super Bowl with this fuckin' dope as Head Coach. It's only when I fall for his bullshit again in September...Tomlin being that Little Bitch Lucy holding the football, that I start to believe again.

So, no weirdness for me on Thursday. It's all Penguins; if the game ends in time for the Steelers first pick, I'll watch it, if not I'll read about it.

Go PENGUINS!!!

1000% this^^^^

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:00 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:
The podcasts are great work.

The past two years have been bittersweet. You know what is coming with the Steelers when the postseason starts. The Pens have given us two of my favorite Pittsburgh sports years.
Back to back championships command respect.

The Pens organization right now reminds me of how the Steelers were run in the 1970's. It felt like we had a realistic chance to win the whole thing every year.

Probably very similar to how Pats fans feel every year for the last decade.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:31 am 

Can't we have just ONE thread that doesn't get hijacked by the anti-Tomlin crowd? Seriously. I get it- you're upset. But leave it out of hockey, please. I come here just to get away from that nonsense you guys keep throwing up in Zone Blitz.

First-time poster long time lurker- I love the fact that the Pens always seem to figure it out. Game one to game two always has something that negates what the other team thinks they found to attack us.

I think the problem with this for me is Malkin being hurt. He is the guy that makes the entrance into the zone on PPs and but it's his general badassery possessing the puck that we will miss. IMO puck possession last year with Washington was horrible. It seemed like they owned it and we were content to play "rope a dope" and counter which makes for taking lots of antacids. While it served us well in handling the Preds in the finals- I just don't feel great about Murray stopping a barrage of shots without a better defensive effort. And I know its unpopular I believe that now is where we see what the GM was trying to do bringing in Reaves et al in giving us some muscle as things become more physical. Capitals will come out and make it physical hoping to drag us into their strength on the PP which IMO is the only way they can win this series.

If I see #8 standing in his spot and getting off his shot off unimpeded like he did against the Jackets- I'm going to be sick to my stomach.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:47 pm 

Geno and Hagelin supposedly both out for tomorrow.

That's less than ideal.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:50 pm 

VeritasSteel wrote:
Can't we have just ONE thread that doesn't get hijacked by the anti-Tomlin crowd? Seriously. I get it- you're upset. But leave it out of hockey, please. I come here just to get away from that nonsense you guys keep throwing up in Zone Blitz.

First-time poster long time lurker- I love the fact that the Pens always seem to figure it out. Game one to game two always has something that negates what the other team thinks they found to attack us.

I think the problem with this for me is Malkin being hurt. He is the guy that makes the entrance into the zone on PPs and but it's his general badassery possessing the puck that we will miss. IMO puck possession last year with Washington was horrible. It seemed like they owned it and we were content to play "rope a dope" and counter which makes for taking lots of antacids. While it served us well in handling the Preds in the finals- I just don't feel great about Murray stopping a barrage of shots without a better defensive effort. And I know its unpopular I believe that now is where we see what the GM was trying to do bringing in Reaves et al in giving us some muscle as things become more physical. Capitals will come out and make it physical hoping to drag us into their strength on the PP which IMO is the only way they can win this series.

If I see #8 standing in his spot and getting off his shot off unimpeded like he did against the Jackets- I'm going to be sick to my stomach.

Veritas decides to grace us with his presence re: hockey, and is compelled to take us to task for mixing in some Steeler talk on a website that carries the moniker SteelerFury. The thread's not exactly been hijacked, Veritas....read through and you will find that it's primarily hockey talk. Thanks again though, for offering your two cents.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:15 pm 

Quote:
Pittsburgh Penguins
‏Verified account @penguins

Coach Sullivan: “Malkin will make the trip with the team to Washington, Hagelin will not. Neither will play in Game 1."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:17 pm 

Pabst wrote:
Quote:
Pittsburgh Penguins
‏Verified account @penguins

Coach Sullivan: “Malkin will make the trip with the team to Washington, Hagelin will not. Neither will play in Game 1."

Ugh....that really sucks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:27 pm 

Sprong time??