It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs Flyers Game 6 game comments
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:31 am 

The only questionable part of the Hagelin hit was that it was maybe late. Hagelin took two strides and then got hit.

The Letang play was just a freaking awesome, determined, aggressive play by Letang vs a Couturier who was only interested in turning his shoulder for a big hit on Letang. If Couturier had been aggressively going after the puck, Letang would never have even gotten to it in time. Instead, he took the time to turn his shoulder and go for the hit on Letang-- probably because he thought Letang was gunning for a big hit on him. To my incredible surprise, Letang never looked to do anything but play the puck, went balls out to get to it, and played the puck. The fact that Couturier went flying has nothing to do with anything except for him being caught flatfooted when Letang played the puck. Just a fantastic play by Letang... and about the 5th Penguins goal/scoring chance in the series that came from a player just out of the penalty box.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:50 am 

swissvale72 wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
Flyers’ fans still bitching about the tripping not called.

Now on replay you can see Letang is going after the puck, in my mind.

Is it true the official can determine the player was going for the puck and therefore wave off any tripping call?

Just wondering whether it was that case, or whether it should have been called tripping.

Either way...not why the Flyers lost. I’m just telling them shit happens and how about the 4 on 3 PP they looked like ass on just before that play?

I would have called it a trip on Letang but I would have called embellishment on Couturier as well. Imagine the reaction to that?

The game was littered with questionable calls on both sides. The Konecny/Sheary battle on the wall should have been 2 on Sheary and 4 on Konecny but they called it even.

The Pens had ONE PP the whole game.

The throwing of beer cans at the bench was uncalled for. And the dumb fucks with bad aim were hitting their own team.

Had that happened though, it would have been no goal, right?

Good question as penalties are no yet handed out until the opposing team touches the puck. Did they ever touch the puck after the contact. If not, the goal could have stood. It would be up to the official to determine if it would have made a difference. I think the goal would not have counted as the Pens were already in the Flyers zone so they would have deemed the contact as virtually taking a possible defender out of the play. But..., I'm not sure either.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:52 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
The only questionable part of the Hagelin hit was that it was maybe late. Hagelin took two strides and then got hit.

The Letang play was just a freaking awesome, determined, aggressive play by Letang vs a Couturier who was only interested in turning his shoulder for a big hit on Letang. If Couturier had been aggressively going after the puck, Letang would never have even gotten to it in time. Instead, he took the time to turn his shoulder and go for the hit on Letang-- probably because he thought Letang was gunning for a big hit on him. To my incredible surprise, Letang never looked to do anything but play the puck, went balls out to get to it, and played the puck. The fact that Couturier went flying has nothing to do with anything except for him being caught flatfooted when Letang played the puck. Just a fantastic play by Letang... and about the 5th Penguins goal/scoring chance in the series that came from a player just out of the penalty box.

I thought the hit was high, aiming for the head, which should have drew a penalty. Giroux did nothing to try to hit him lower, but kept his body high for a head impact.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:05 pm 

alancac98 wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

I thought the hit was high, aiming for the head, which should have drew a penalty. Giroux did nothing to try to hit him lower, but kept his body high for a head impact.
I thought it was late and high.

There seemed to be a lot of make up calls, or non calls, to make up for calls, or non calls, when a non call was made up for a call, or non call.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:11 pm 

alancac98 wrote:
Good question as penalties are no yet handed out until the opposing team touches the puck. Did they ever touch the puck after the contact. If not, the goal could have stood. It would be up to the official to determine if it would have made a difference. I think the goal would not have counted as the Pens were already in the Flyers zone so they would have deemed the contact as virtually taking a possible defender out of the play. But..., I'm not sure either.

My assumption is the play would have been blown dead immediately and a goal scoring play would not even have developed.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:00 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

Hits to the head are illegal, right? I'm with Crosby4life in that Giroux was leaving his feet when he hit Hagelin. Haven't heard squat about what he might be suffering from.
Don't forget that Giroux hit Letang much the same way earlier in the series but with his backside. Guy has a history of being on the edge.

On the trip or no trip Couturier definitely added to it trying to get the call.

Another penalty in the series that I found to be odd was Malkin 4 minute high stick to Konecny in game 4. He hit him with the but end of the stick and got him in the eye. I thought the rule stated that you got the extra 2 for drawing blood. If the refs were punishing Malkin for hitting the eye they should have called a game misconduct.

And on the sad but funny angle, Flyer fans are wondering if the only way Giroux wins a cup is to do so with another team. Ha, ha, ha, ha.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:14 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

Hits to the head are illegal, right? I'm with Crosby4life in that Giroux was leaving his feet when he hit Hagelin. Haven't heard squat about what he might be suffering from.
Don't forget that Giroux hit Letang much the same way earlier in the series but with his backside. Guy has a history of being on the edge.

Another penalty in the series that I found to be odd was Malkin 4 minute high stick to Konecny in game 4. He hit him with the but end of the stick and got him in the eye. I thought the rule stated that you got the extra 2 for drawing blood. If the refs were punishing Malkin for hitting the eye they should have called a game misconduct.

And on the sad but funny angle, Flyer fans are wondering if the only way Giroux wins a cup is to do so with another team. Ha, ha, ha, ha.

Worked for Carter and Richards. LOL!

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:42 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:
And they call Malkin a goon and Crosby dirty, but they both get away with it because it's them.

And they also say that pens fans are obnoxious, disrespectful, stupid and are trolls. They keep repeating that when going to a pens game, they had beer thrown at them. Somehow apologizing for the shitshow at the end. Although some say they should be banned from the building's future events.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:02 pm 

Personally awaiting the BethSteel Flyers post-mortem. Most of their fans are content to blame the Mike Johnston-esque coaching of Hakstol, reasonably bad defense, disappearing Voracek, and goaltending, in some order, at this point.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:21 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:

It came out last night that Couturier was playing on a torn MCL. The main purpose of that ligament is to prevent the knee from buckling inward.

I'm not sure if it was the same knee, but you have to think that was a factor in Couturier not being able to stay on his feet during that collision. He's either taking the impact on that leg, or he's trying to support his full weight on a busted knee. Either way, best of luck staying upright.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next