It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs Flyers Game 6 game comments
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:38 am 

Flyers’ fans still bitching about the tripping not called.

Now on replay you can see Letang is going after the puck, in my mind.

Is it true the official can determine the player was going for the puck and therefore wave off any tripping call?

Just wondering whether it was that case, or whether it should have been called tripping.

Either way...not why the Flyers lost. I’m just telling them shit happens and how about the 4 on 3 PP they looked like ass on just before that play?

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:12 am 

Jeemie wrote:

Is it true the official can determine the player was going for the puck and therefore wave off any tripping call?

Just wondering whether it was that case, or whether it should have been called tripping.

Either way...not why the Flyers lost. I’m just telling them shit happens and how about the 4 on 3 PP they looked like ass on just before that play?

Watched the tape and more analysis this morning. Couple things...
*Looks to me like not only was Letang going after the puck, but that his initial contact was with the puck. Don't know the answer to your question though, re: waving off tripping call.
*As for...not why the Flyers lost....who knows?? We would certainly be bitching like crazy had that happened to us. Think about that building yesterday, had Penguins goal been waved off and instead, the Cryers have their 3rd power play of the period down by a goal. Now....Flyers had done shit on their previous power plays, had only mustered three shots on goal for the period at that point, but who the fuck knows if Letang goes right back into the box having just come out and Pens are only up one goal instead of two, what happens.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:31 am 

swissvale72 wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

Watched the tape and more analysis this morning. Couple things...
*Looks to me like not only was Letang going after the puck, but that his initial contact was with the puck. Don't know the answer to your question though, re: waving off tripping call.
*As for...not why the Flyers lost....who knows?? We would certainly be bitching like crazy had that happened to us. Think about that building yesterday, had Penguins goal been waved off and instead, the Cryers have their 3rd power play of the period down by a goal. Now....Flyers had done shit on their previous power plays, had only mustered three shots on goal for the period at that point, but who the fuck knows if Letang goes right back into the box having just come out and Pens are only up one goal instead of two, what happens.

The guys on the broadcast were adamant it should have been a trip. Watched a little flyers postgame and their take was he tripped him with the skate and not the stick so the fact that he played the puck was moot. According to them (taken it with a grain of salt) it was certainly a missed call. The rulebook makes no such distinctions. A skate trip and stick trip are ruled and treated exatly the same.

Quote:
57.1 Tripping – A player shall not place the stick, knee, foot, arm, hand or
elbow in such a manner that causes his opponent to trip or fall.
Accidental trips which occur simultaneously with a completed play
will not be penalized. Accidental trips occurring simultaneously with or
after a stoppage of play will not be penalized.

Guys on NHL network said he played the puck therefore it was clean. Through my pens colored glasses I concur. But I can also admit had it happened to a Penguin I would have been screaming for a penalty.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:48 am 

Jeemie wrote:

I would have called it a trip on Letang but I would have called embellishment on Couturier as well. Imagine the reaction to that?

The game was littered with questionable calls on both sides. The Konecny/Sheary battle on the wall should have been 2 on Sheary and 4 on Konecny but they called it even.

The Pens had ONE PP the whole game.

The throwing of beer cans at the bench was uncalled for. And the dumb fucks with bad aim were hitting their own team.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:59 am 

I'm personally in favor of anything that makes Flyer fans more bitter.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:18 am 

I'm not hockey rule book by any means but I thought I saw letang hit the puck first before contacting the flyer. I don't know it that negates the foul or not to officials. seems like the spinning dance move the flyer made was a bit excessive for the degree of contact. the flyers reacted like bitches after the play and completely blew up. not the mark of a winner.
if this play happened to pens id of been pissed too I suppose but I bet the pens don't melt down either.

Last edited by bam morris on Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:34 am 

fractalsteel wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

I would have called it a trip on Letang but I would have called embellishment on Couturier as well. Imagine the reaction to that?

The game was littered with questionable calls on both sides. The Konecny/Sheary battle on the wall should have been 2 on Sheary and 4 on Konecny but they called it even.

The Pens had ONE PP the whole game.

The throwing of beer cans at the bench was uncalled for. And the dumb fucks with bad aim were hitting their own team.

Had that happened though, it would have been no goal, right?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:35 am 

bam morris wrote:
I'm not hockey rule book by any means but I thought I saw letang hit the puck first before contacting the flyer. I don't know it that negates the foul or not to officials. seems like the spinning dance move the flyer made was a bit excessive for the degree of contact. the flyers reacted like bitches after the play and completely blew up. not the mark of a winner.
if this play happened to pens id of been pissed too I suppose but I bet then pens don't melt down either.

Well, reading the NHL rulebook is about a complete waste of time because hockey refs take more lattitude with the rule interpretations than refs in any other major sport, in my opinion.

But the generally accepted standard there is that if the player plays the puck before contact is made, the contact is considered incidental and a non-penalty.

Now, they did adjust that a few years ago, but I think it only applies to when a player is diving for the puck to stop a break away. Previously, if you dove at a player that was on a breakaway, hit the puck, then tripped the player, it was a non-call. Now, that's a penalty, even if you did hit the puck first (although it's still not a penalty shot). I semi-confirmed this through some Googling.

However, I don't think the above rule change applies to other scenarios and they generally still adhere to the "play the puck first" standard.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:40 am 

Yeah. I thought it was a penalty at first. The flyer was embellishing though, flipping as overly dramatic as possible. I also thought there were two other plays earlier in the game that looked like penalty's when penguin players got completely upended - no calls.

Some flyer threads last night were all over the officiating, but are a little less rabid this morning.

But I'm wondering if anybody thought the hit on Haglin that took him out of the game was questionable. I'm asking the experts. Hags just let go of the puck and Giroux put his shoulder into his face. He had time to temper his blow, but didn't. Looked like he wanted to take him out. Hags was all over the ice prior. Any word on his status?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:04 am 

COR-TEN wrote:
Yeah. I thought it was a penalty at first. The flyer was embellishing though, flipping as overly dramatic as possible. I also thought there were two other plays earlier in the game that looked like penalty's when penguin players got completely upended - no calls.

Some flyer threads last night were all over the officiating, but are a little less rabid this morning.

But I'm wondering if anybody thought the hit on Haglin that took him out of the game was questionable. I'm asking the experts. Hags just let go of the puck and Giroux put his shoulder into his face. He had time to temper his blow, but didn't. Looked like he wanted to take him out. Hags was all over the ice prior. Any word on his status?

That hit touched all kinds of gray areas for how refs call things, in my opinion.

He hit him in the face, but if you watch it again, he didn't really lean into the hit. He kind of tucked his arms and made his body vertical, it just so happened that his shoulder went into Hags' face. Should it be called? Yeah, I think so. Is that often called? Sometimes, sometimes not.

Another issue is whether or not he left his feet. The standard is generally that your feet shouldn't leave the ground before contact (but if they do in the aftermath, that's fine).

Giroux's feet seemed to leave the ice right about the same instance the hit happened.

So I think everyone will have different opinions about it and don't think most of those opinions would be wrong.

I've definitely seen what I'd describe as cleaner hits get called, and dirtier hits not get called. Just spin the wheel of NHL playoff officiating for your answer.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next