It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pens vs Flyers Game 1 game comments
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:45 pm 

cant ask for better effort..way better then I was hoping for.. thrilled murray made some big saves.. all the big guns were great.. I know it cant be this good every game but u gotta love the team performance.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:00 pm 

I think the Penguins should have started Casey DeSmith.

I wonder what Beth thinks about all of this.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:01 pm 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Really impressed by the defensive play of our forwards. Sore spot all season. But they broke up a ton of what would have otherwise been easy goals tonight.

This x 1000. Noticed it all game. Incredible effort in our zone. Philly was stymied.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:06 pm 

bam morris wrote:
cant ask for better effort..way better then I was hoping for.. thrilled murray made some big saves.. all the big guns were great.. I know it cant be this good every game but u gotta love the team performance.

I was really happy to see a healthy Brassard -- and he was excellent the whole game. Huge guy for us if he keeps this up

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:08 am 

Work's going to be tough these next few weeks.

I'm sitting here just wishing it was Friday already.

Well, moreso than usual.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:05 pm 

https://video.twimg.com/tweet_video/DaihKSHVAAA4DEd.mp4

I've been rewatching Geno's goal again. My favorite part about this is, is when Geno picked up the puck. I say that because Hags was already in position to get the puck after the blocked shot. In another scenario, Geno would have probably let Hags get the puck and clear it so the PK could get off the ice, or Geno would have skated up ice to spread the D out and get himself in position for an outlet pass.

But that wasn't Geno out there. That was "Pissed Off Geno", and Pissed Off Geno knew as soon as he stepped out of that penalty box that he was getting that puck and skating through everyone. So he essentially cut Hags off and got the puck himself and knew damn well he was taking it end to end.

When I said before that I think that Geno is the most dangerous player in the NHL when he's playing at his absolute best, that's the kind of stuff I was talking about. This version of Geno is probably my favorite player in the league because he's nearly unstoppable and he's not afraid to let everyone on the ice know it. If we get this Geno for the duration of the playoffs, and I think we will, we're going to be VERY hard to beat.

God, I'm pumped!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:08 pm 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
https://video.twimg.com/tweet_video/DaihKSHVAAA4DEd.mp4

I've been rewatching Geno's goal again. My favorite part about this is, is when Geno picked up the puck. I say that because Hags was already in position to get the puck after the blocked shot. In another scenario, Geno would have probably let Hags get the puck and clear it so the PK could get off the ice, or Geno would have skated up ice to spread the D out and get himself in position for an outlet pass.

But that wasn't Geno out there. That was "Pissed Off Geno", and Pissed Off Geno knew as soon as he stepped out of that penalty box that he was getting that puck and skating through everyone. So he essentially cut Hags off and got the puck himself and knew damn well he was taking it end to end.

When I said before that I think that Geno is the most dangerous player in the NHL when he's playing at his absolute best, that's the kind of stuff I was talking about. This version of Geno is probably my favorite player in the league because he's nearly unstoppable and he's not afraid to let everyone on the ice know it. If we get this Geno for the duration of the playoffs, and I think we will, we're going to be VERY hard to beat.

God, I'm pumped!
I kept repeating to myself "did he just do that?" over and over after that goal. But as much as it was a thing of beauty, it was a flyer defensive breakdown and shit defense. You can't do that in the playoffs against the pens. Geno juke'd one guy out of his jockstrap and skated right past the second defender in front of the net. They didn't think he'd make the backhand shot. Bad calculation with a pissed off Geno.

Went to some flyer boards and it was repeated often that the flyers were nervous and flat. They didn't expect anything great, but expected their first line, top 8 guys, to at least make it competitive. No energy, and it sure showed on that goal.

Next game will most certainly be different.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:11 pm 

Honestly, my favorite Geno highlight of the night hit the crossbar. Dude was on another planet that rush.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:08 pm 

Good analysis here:

https://www.pensburgh.com/2018/4/12/172 ... rom-game-1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:47 pm 

steel wrote:
bam morris wrote:

I was really happy to see a healthy Brassard -- and he was excellent the whole game. Huge guy for us if he keeps this up

He made so many subtle defensive plays. Also, very solid in the O zone.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:19 pm 

Zeke5123 wrote:
steel wrote:
bam morris wrote:

He made so many subtle defensive plays. Also, very solid in the O zone.

and Sheahan and ZAR managed to make some plays with Kuhnackl dragging on a chain.