It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pens vs Craps
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:15 pm 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:
Grubauer was the difference in the game. That and the 3 or 4 goalposts the Pens rang up.

Looked to me like the Pens didn't have their legs most of the game.

Malkin was off but I'm not sure about the lazy play. He was teamed up with 81/62 and I thought Malkin did a good job of covering for those two who love to jet up ice any time they saw an opening.
He looked like he was playing hurt and hitting the post a few times definitely frustrated him.
Funny, Malkin has a few sub-par games and here comes the criticism. Crosby takes a week off and crickets.
I'll give Malkin a pass for the last two games because of what he has meant to the team since the beginning of the new year.

Of course, the Pens now have 3 days off before they finish with a back to back set-the Columbus game possibly being the most important game of the year.

Dude, I love Malkin. I wasn't trying to slam the guy. But he does have lazy games, and last night was one of them, for the most part. Plays where he let passes go right by him because he wasn't even paying attention (happened at least twice that I saw). He had a give and go with Kessel where he wasn't even entertaining the idea of getting it back from Kessel (which was promptly taken the other way for a Caps goal).

And he might have had a couple plays where he covered for some guys, but he had some players where he nonchalantly drifted back to the defensive end, too.

And that's the difference between Crosby and Malkin. Crosby has some dry spells, some games where his legs might not quite be there, things aren't clicking...whatever. But he's never looked as disinterested as Malkin did during several moments last night.

So, yes, I'm going to give Crosby a pass when he has a scoreless streak. Mainly because he's going to try and make up for it in other areas of his game. And I 100% do the same with Geno when he has a dry run but is playing hard in other facets of the game. I honestly don't care if a player has scored in the past X number of games. My belief is that dry spells and even bad games happen. But if you work hard enough, you'll get past it.

So no, last night had nothing to do with him not scoring, or even being "off". It was all about effort. As I've said before, when he's putting 100% of himself into a game, he's, in my opinion, the most dangerous player in the league at both ends of the ice. Even moreso than Sid, in my opinion. But when he doesn't, it's a disservice to everyone involved.

Fair enough.
And over the years you have praised Malkin when it was due.
But to say that Crosby doesn't take games off is false.

I think one big difference b/n 87 and 71 is focus. Crosby can laser in on a game be so on, more so than any other player on the ice. With Malkin a TO or blunder can wipe away his focus.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:41 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
I think Malkin FREQUENTLY lets a pass go by him on purpose-- to a teammate. He did that a couple of times last night and it often results in success.

Two things I noticed a month ago that still bug the daylights out of me during every game:

1. Phil Kessel can't cleanly catch a pass on his stick to save his life. He is the single biggest culprit on the team for destroying a breakout. Every pass to him, he juggles or fumbles, or double-catches it.
2. Kessel doesn't shoot on the PP nearly enough. He was passing up chances last night when he had open looks. He doesn't need much space or much of an opening. SHOOT the puck, Phil.

Not to give him a pass, but Kessel has been injured the past month (whenever he went into the boards). And then vs the Habs he did something to injure or reinjure himself

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:46 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
I think Malkin FREQUENTLY lets a pass go by him on purpose-- to a teammate. He did that a couple of times last night and it often results in success.

Two things I noticed a month ago that still bug the daylights out of me during every game:

1. Phil Kessel can't cleanly catch a pass on his stick to save his life. He is the single biggest culprit on the team for destroying a breakout. Every pass to him, he juggles or fumbles, or double-catches it.
2. Kessel doesn't shoot on the PP nearly enough. He was passing up chances last night when he had open looks. He doesn't need much space or much of an opening. SHOOT the puck, Phil.

I know what you're talking about. It's usually when someone sends it around the boards. Malkin (and other guys do this as well), will let it go so it can cycle to someone else.

The plays I saw weren't that. They were plays where Malkin was away from the boards (where he doesn't do that) and obviously the intended recipient. One one, he almost looked to be looking towards the bench...or something. I have no idea what he was looking at, honestly, but it wasn't the play because the puck went right by him. Hell, if his stick would have at least been on the ice, he still might have gotten it.

And the other was when he entered the zone on a semi rush, passed it to Kessel on the left wing and then he started skating down the middle of the ice. Kessel immediately tried to pass it back to Malkin for a quick give and go, which was at least somewhat open, but Malkin never bothered to look at Kessel and just drifted into no-man's land with no idea what was going on around him. The puck went right by him and the Caps took it the other way for a goal.

And hell, maybe both of those were some weird miscommunication. I seriously doubt it, but maybe I'm wrong. But I saw several other examples of him not putting nearly enough effort into his shifts.

Agreed 100% on Kessel, though, and I've been saying that since he came here. For all the talk about his skill and skating, he's kind of terrible at both. And let my try and explain what I mean. He can skate fast in a straight line. But when he tries to change direction it honestly looks like some of the beer leaguers I play with. He very rarely crosses his feet while turning and looks scared to death that he's going to lose his edge and fall down. And he usually just drifts in an arc until he can get going in a straight line again. It's very awkward. Like he has almost no agility on skates.

Same with his hands. He struggles to catch passes cleanly and gets nervous with the puck. And his stick-handling is just...weird. He has skill, and I've seen him use it on occasion (usually on power plays or 3v3 when he knows he has more room), but he won't try and handle the puck through traffic. The second he thinks he's going to get pressured, he gets rid of it. I originally thought it was just his unwillingness to get hit, but I really think he just doesn't have a whole lot of confidence handling the puck with players around him.

None of that is to say I think he sucks by any means. His scoring numbers speak for themselves and I'm happy as hell he's here. And I think his passing is very underrated, even by Pens fans that are more familiar with it. He's just very interesting to watch.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:04 pm 

The passing and shooting are elite of the elite. The skating and receiving of passes... less so.

BTW, he got injured in Montreal game when one of the Habs did a little testicular exam with the stick.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:12 pm 

Kessel played his 690th consecutive game last night.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:46 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:

kessel amazes me..dude looks like beer league softball right fielder
yet is quite the durable talented athlete..

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:09 pm 

bam morris wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:

Well, he avoids contact like the plague, but still a damn incredible achievement nonetheless.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:37 am 

fractalsteel wrote:

Yeah, that is really something.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:29 am 

bam morris wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:

Well, he avoids contact like the plague, but still a damn incredible achievement nonetheless.

Yup he does avoid contact

I heard someone say: I feel like there are certain guys in the league who announce at the beginning of each season "hey I'm not gonna hit anyone on your team, so don't hit me". And Kessel falls into that category. I've seen other players have him lined up for huge hit and then really let up. Funny, but after my friend said that it's almost confirming that it happens.

Playoffs are definitely a different story...I've seen Kessel body a guy off the puck in the playoffs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:12 am 

Geno sent a beautiful stretch pass to Phil in the second period of the Craps game and Phil blundered it right off the tape. Then proceeded to two hand tomahawk chop his stick on the boards on his way to the bench. He likely knows his handling is sub par.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:07 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
bam morris wrote:

Yup he does avoid contact

I heard someone say: I feel like there are certain guys in the league who announce at the beginning of each season "hey I'm not gonna hit anyone on your team, so don't hit me". And Kessel falls into that category. I've seen other players have him lined up for huge hit and then really let up. Funny, but after my friend said that it's almost confirming that it happens.

Playoffs are definitely a different story...I've seen Kessel body a guy off the puck in the playoffs

Oh, for sure. He's like playing backyard football with your 50-year old uncle on Thanksgiving. Every now and then, someone will make a little contact with Kessel, often times not even on purpose, and I'll make a comment to my friends of "Hey, you can't hit uncle Phil!"