It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs Craps
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:32 am 

I thin that loss was 90% a goalie just playing out of his mind and 5% rebounds that usually find the Pens’ sticks just missing. Malkin, do’s has, and Hornqvist each missed at least one gimme by a fraction of an inch.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:21 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
I thin that loss was 90% a goalie just playing out of his mind and 5% rebounds that usually find the Pens’ sticks just missing. Malkin, Crosby, and Hornqvist each missed at least one gimme by a fraction of an inch.

I missed the game, but from the highlights that seemed to be the theme.

We didn't score on the PP? I heard Malkin went apeshit?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:36 am 

Orangesteel wrote:
First time in a long time I’ve turned a game off to watch women’s golf.

I did the same thing.. WOW what a playoff.. Those three women are working hard for that ANA trophy..

I guess we will see today who walks with it.. I hope its the Noob.. would be nice to see her first win ever be a major..

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:44 am 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
I thin that loss was 90% a goalie just playing out of his mind and 5% rebounds that usually find the Pens’ sticks just missing. Malkin, do’s has, and Hornqvist each missed at least one gimme by a fraction of an inch.

I missed the game, but from the highlights that seemed to be the theme.

We didn't score on the PP? I heard Malkin went apeshit?

Grubauer was absolutely ridiculous. Had multiple robberies, including one on Sid on a backdoor feed that is a goal 99% of the time.

I honestly felt like the Pens played pretty well, overall. We had some defensive breakdowns, for sure. But hey, the Caps are a talented team. Not going to play them perfectly every time.

And we had lots of power play opportunities and had good scoring chances on them. Just couldn't get the puck behind Grubauer.

Malkin was a different story. We had lazy Malkin for most of that game. But then him and Oshi got into it in the final couple of minutes and Malkin flipped out. Malkin chopped Oshi's stick from his hands, then used his own stick to pitchfork Oshi's stick up into the Capitals bench. So they sent him down the runway, but Malkin refused to go into the locker room and instead got into a screaming battle with Kuznetsov.

While all that was going on, Recchi got ejected from the game for saying something to the ref as well.

And before any of these even happened, Hornqvist was a pain in the Caps side all night, getting into scuffle after scuffle, particularly with Orpik.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:57 am 

One thing I don't get about hockey: guys like Hornqvist get hammered and ass raped after the play on virtually 100% of the whistles... 99.9% of the time, no call. If a guy levels you with a crosscheck, how can that not be a penalty? It's not like Hornqvist is regularly doing dirty shit there, he's just a pest that's hard to move, and he doesn't give up on plays until after the whistle.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:06 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
One thing I don't get about hockey: guys like Hornqvist get hammered and ass raped after the play on virtually 100% of the whistles... 99.9% of the time, no call. If a guy levels you with a crosscheck, how can that not be a penalty? It's not like Hornqvist is regularly doing dirty shit there, he's just a pest that's hard to move, and he doesn't give up on plays until after the whistle.

Oh, I know. If you're in front of the net, you can basically do whatever you want and not get called.

Hockey purists will tell you it's all in the name of protecting the goalie, but that's obviously bullshit.

But if you accidentally tap the top of another guy's stick with your 15 feet away, that's a penalty.

This is all really why Horny has really turned into my favorite player over the past couple of years. The punishment that guy takes is absolutely unbelievable. And honestly, it's my biggest fear about giving him that 5 year deal. He certainly deserves it and I love having him anchored here for the next few years, and he may have very well demanded a longer term deal to secure his future, but I watch games like yesterday's game and wonder if he can really sustain that level of beating for another 5 years when he's already 31 years old.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:15 am 

Grubauer was the difference in the game. That and the 3 or 4 goalposts the Pens rang up.

Looked to me like the Pens didn't have their legs most of the game.

Malkin was off but I'm not sure about the lazy play. He was teamed up with 81/62 and I thought Malkin did a good job of covering for those two who love to jet up ice any time they saw an opening.
He looked like he was playing hurt and hitting the post a few times definitely frustrated him.
Funny, Malkin has a few sub-par games and here comes the criticism. Crosby takes a week off and crickets.
I'll give Malkin a pass for the last two games because of what he has meant to the team since the beginning of the new year.

Of course, the Pens now have 3 days off before they finish with a back to back set-the Columbus game possibly being the most important game of the year.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:15 am 

fractalsteel wrote:
Grubauer was the difference in the game. That and the 3 or 4 goalposts the Pens rang up.

Malkin was off but I'm not sure about the lazy play. He was teamed up with 81/62 and I thought Malkin did a good job of covering for those two who love to jet up ice any time they saw an opening.
He looked like he was playing hurt and hitting the post a few times definitely frustrated him.
Funny, Malkin has a few sub-par games and here comes the criticism. Crosby takes a week off and crickets.
I'll give Malkin a pass for the last two games because of what he has meant to the team since the beginning of the new year.

Of course, the Pens now have 3 days off before they finish with a back to back set-the Columbus game possibly being the most important game of the year.

Dude, I love Malkin. I wasn't trying to slam the guy. But he does have lazy games, and last night was one of them, for the most part. Plays where he let passes go right by him because he wasn't even paying attention (happened at least twice that I saw). He had a give and go with Kessel where he wasn't even entertaining the idea of getting it back from Kessel (which was promptly taken the other way for a Caps goal).

And he might have had a couple plays where he covered for some guys, but he had some players where he nonchalantly drifted back to the defensive end, too.

And that's the difference between Crosby and Malkin. Crosby has some dry spells, some games where his legs might not quite be there, things aren't clicking...whatever. But he's never looked as disinterested as Malkin did during several moments last night.

So, yes, I'm going to give Crosby a pass when he has a scoreless streak. Mainly because he's going to try and make up for it in other areas of his game. And I 100% do the same with Geno when he has a dry run but is playing hard in other facets of the game. I honestly don't care if a player has scored in the past X number of games. My belief is that dry spells and even bad games happen. But if you work hard enough, you'll get past it.

So no, last night had nothing to do with him not scoring, or even being "off". It was all about effort. As I've said before, when he's putting 100% of himself into a game, he's, in my opinion, the most dangerous player in the league at both ends of the ice. Even moreso than Sid, in my opinion. But when he doesn't, it's a disservice to everyone involved.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:53 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:

Well to be fair they did play the previous night, so that could have been a factor.

Someone asked: who do you want in the playoffs? Well first off I want home ice #2 in the Metro

Beyond that, I'm not sure it matters as it'll be either Flyers or Jackets. I think either goalie we face shouldn't be a test as the Pens have had success vs Playoff Bob and Mrazek

Columbus has the deeper team, but the Flyers top line is pretty freaking good

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:19 pm 

I think Malkin FREQUENTLY lets a pass go by him on purpose-- to a teammate. He did that a couple of times last night and it often results in success.

Two things I noticed a month ago that still bug the daylights out of me during every game:

1. Phil Kessel can't cleanly catch a pass on his stick to save his life. He is the single biggest culprit on the team for destroying a breakout. Every pass to him, he juggles or fumbles, or double-catches it.
2. Kessel doesn't shoot on the PP nearly enough. He was passing up chances last night when he had open looks. He doesn't need much space or much of an opening. SHOOT the puck, Phil.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next