It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 571 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: It’s Opening Day...
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:34 pm 

Bubbles loves him some Serpico.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:43 pm 

Hopefully this is Clint Hurdle's last season in a Pirate uniform.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:42 am 

dismal! better pitching Sunday worse offense!. glad Dickerson back but he was no help.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:43 am 

Jobus Rum wrote:
Bubbles loves him some Serpico.

don't get his love of this sub par tool.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:41 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
Serpico with his .164 BA is the last hope for the Bucs...with Freese on the bench holding a lifetime .500 BA against Norris.

WTF, HURDLE?!?!?!?!?!?

Guys on the radio said Freese must be injured........were they right? or just in awe of the dumb move by Hurdle.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:09 pm 

R S wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
Serpico with his .164 BA is the last hope for the Bucs...with Freese on the bench holding a lifetime .500 BA against Norris.

WTF, HURDLE?!?!?!?!?!?

Guys on the radio said Freese must be injured........were they right? or just in awe of the dumb move by Hurdle.

Yeah- saw that this morning- forearm contusion.

Still- I'd take a slightly injured Freese over Serpico in a critical spot every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:13 pm 

bam morris wrote:
dismal! better pitching Sunday worse offense!. glad Dickerson back but he was no help.

Dickerson and Bell were as hot as molten metal before they got injured.

My big worry is they will be cooled off because of the layoff.

Pirates are 5-5 since they both got hurt after rolling with the 11-game win streak.

That ain't gonna cut it.

Rockies...Giants...Cubs...Braves...Brewers...Cards (and two with the Twins)...that's the rest of their August.

And of those 23 games against playoff rivals...16 are on the road (the two against Minnesota are on the road as well).

We need these guys to get hot again.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:54 pm 

The Pirates have traded for Rays SS Adeiny Hechavarria...could this be the end for Serpico?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:25 pm 

Jobus Rum wrote:
The Pirates have traded for Rays SS Adeiny Hechavarria...could this be the end for Serpico?

It better be.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:18 pm 

2 hits in the Denver band box. :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:24 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
Jobus Rum wrote:

It better be.

thing with Serpico that pisses me. he fields like shit besides hitting like Bambi.. and it blows my mind he seems to have a spot in lineup all the fucking time. misplaying in field and hitting like shit. its odd and crazy. can't tell me Bucs have no better option some place.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:30 pm 

Gadzooks, this team :? . . . last night nothing; tonight, 10 runs and a complete game W for Taillon --

I think I'll be happier just enjoying the Pirate wins when they happen and quit looking at the "standings" and dreaming of the postseason, because the Cubastards have shifted into gear now and I don't think they're coming back down anytime soon. I don't see the Buccos getting over that 'Hurdle' of being world-beaters one night and pissing away games the next . . . but they sure do have some firepower, though.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:54 am 

franco>madden wrote:
Gadzooks, this team :? . . . last night nothing; tonight, 10 runs and a complete game W for Taillon --

I think I'll be happier just enjoying the Pirate wins when they happen and quit looking at the "standings" and dreaming of the postseason, because the Cubastards have shifted into gear now and I don't think they're coming back down anytime soon. I don't see the Buccos getting over that 'Hurdle' of being world-beaters one night and pissing away games the next . . . but they sure do have some firepower, though.

It was always a pipe dream...too many teams to chase for the WC and the pitching is still the Achilles.

Still...3-3 through this slate of games with contenders...that won’t cut it, but at least it isn’t so horrible it’s doomed them already.

We’ll know for sure by August 31.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:01 am 

franco>madden wrote:

Too many teams to jump in both the division and “play in” game races. It could be done, but it’s a very long shot.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:07 pm 

Crick is suddenly looking very hittable.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:10 pm 

Polanco was completely brain-dead there.

Thank God he didn’t catch that foul ball...would have been 4-4 easily.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:15 pm 

Frazier is going to play his way into the lineup regularly if he can keep fielding the way he has.

Holy SHIT!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:42 am 

bats back . feast or famine

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:20 pm 

I know we need to get Frazier ABs, but at the expense of Polanco?

Seriously, Hurdle?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:35 pm 

Rest metrics killing us again.

Hurdle started Holmes to give the starting five an extra day of rest.

Holmes has got nothing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:23 pm 

Yep...no velocity, no control.

But just leave Holmes in there, Clint.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:44 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:02 am 

Jeemie wrote:

Holmes has got nothing.

its so dumb. these guys off 2 days last weeks. winning is a must. they don't travel by train . or dig ditches all day. fuck. play to win asss hole. hurdle blows.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:56 pm 

bam morris wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

Holmes has got nothing.

its so dumb. these guys off 2 days last weeks. winning is a must. they don't travel by train . or dig ditches all day. fuck. play to win asss hole. hurdle blows.

We scored 10 runs and lost because Hurdle let both Holmes and Sadler pitch too long.

I just don’t get how his brain functions at all.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:40 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
bam morris wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

Holmes has got nothing.

We scored 10 runs and lost because Hurdle let both Holmes and Sadler pitch too long.

I just don’t get how his brain functions at all.

As for the game itself, I put the loss squarely on Hurdle. Sadler threw 20-something pitches in the 9th inning on Thursday night, I believe -- so, why put him back out there so soon -- it wasn't as if Sadler pitched all that well to finish the game Thursday night. As for Holmes, I was screaming at the TV for Hurdle to yank him after he walked in the 4th run. But, Skip gave him an extra batter and it cost the team 2 more runs. I'll excuse the first 4 runs but the last 2 by Holmes are inexcusable, as was using Sadler on short rest.

As for Hurdle's brain, it doesn't need to function. He has a formula === 6 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 9.
Of course, this is modified 711 from when we had better starters and Watson/Melancon to finish off games.

Hurdle is a player's manager, so he wants his starters to get 6 innings to have a chance for a win, plus that's about 100 pitches, and we all know you just have to yank a pitcher in these times around 100 pitches. Heaven forbid you should ask 115-120 sometime. Poor baby would blow out his arm before the Astros or Yankees could acquire anyone worth being on their rosters. When Billy Martin managed Oakland after leaving the Yankees he'd run his starters into the ground --- why save them for the Yanks and free agency?

Of course, when you have an established formula, you need only insert one of a few pitchers into innings 7 or 8 and have the closer appear in the 9th inning. Then, if all else fails, you're beyond criticism because everyone just knows that's the formula -- therefore, you can only blame the player for failing to execute and not the manager for failing -- man, do I ever miss Chuck Tanner.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 571 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next