It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pens vs Isles 3-20-18
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:51 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:
Bad, boring game against a non playoff team.

Maybe Tomlin's not the only coach that loses to bottom feeders?

Pens are not a good road team mainly because of the bottom line issue that Donnie and others have pointed out.

They don’t have last change...and teams can force them into bad line matchups.

While I agree with this to a point there is a lot more at work then the fourth line on the road. Last night the Pen came out flat and it wasn't until the last 5 minutes did they even the ice and by then they were down 2-0.
You can go back and look at the surge after the new year began and you would see that the Pens were much better on the road then the months prior. And they still had a shitty fourth line then.

What I saw last night were the Pens who started the season-lazy for long stretches of time. A lack of cohesive defense from the D men to the covering forwards.
Once again they came out flat, fell behind and faced a tender who was incredibly stingy. If Murray wasn't as good as he was last night the lazy Pens would have lost by 6-7 goals.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:43 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:

Pens are not a good road team mainly because of the bottom line issue that Donnie and others have pointed out.

They don’t have last change...and teams can force them into bad line matchups.

Thanks for throwing a compliment, but they don't have that excuse anymore: that their bottom line sucks hard. Because Brassard has pushed Sheahan down

Jooris-Sheahan-Kuhn is equivalent to what other good teams are throwing out there on a 4th line

I think the issue is that they need Kessel and Brass to gel and given their talent and hockey acumen I think it's going to work.

Pitt's problem lately is a few things:
1) Sid has been disengaged and making the first line obsolete
2) Third line hasn't overwhelmed opponents like we thought/hoped
3) The PK has been atrocious since Ian Cole left (see article below)
https://www.pensburgh.com/2018/3/21/171 ... t-the-pens

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:39 pm 

To go off topic, I’ll copy this from Donny’s link, as I’m one of those who “constantly complains” about the loser point.

Quote:
Fans may gripe about the “loser point” for OT/SO contests from time to time (or constantly), but this is specifically why it exists. Teams have 8-9 games to go and the difference between first and fourth place in the Metro is five points. 2nd through 4th is basically a coin flip at this point and bound to have multiple changes in positioning as we go along. It makes for an exciting race and the regular season reaches its climax.

So what you’re telling me is- the loser point exists to gin up a false sense of excitement as the season winds down?

I get that economically, but the loser point is still dumb.

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:29 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
To go off topic, I’ll copy this from Donny’s link, as I’m one of those who “constantly complains” about the loser point.

Quote:
Fans may gripe about the “loser point” for OT/SO contests from time to time (or constantly), but this is specifically why it exists. Teams have 8-9 games to go and the difference between first and fourth place in the Metro is five points. 2nd through 4th is basically a coin flip at this point and bound to have multiple changes in positioning as we go along. It makes for an exciting race and the regular season reaches its climax.

So what you’re telling me is- the loser point exists to gin up a false sense of excitement as the season winds down?

I'd love to see a change to:

Regulation Win: 3 points
OT/SO Win: 2 points
OT/SO Loss: 1 point

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:19 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:

You are seriously comparing Tomlin to Sully? Fucking hilarious.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:24 am 

Jeemie wrote:

Quote:

I keep saying it: Forced Parity

That's what all leagues want because it keeps fans interested for longer periods of time = more money

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:33 am 

Obviously wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:

You are seriously comparing Tomlin to Sully? Fucking hilarious.

You are seriously incapable of grasping rhetoric? I’m worried about the WVU forensics team.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:35 pm 

Sigh...Rust STILL with Sid

Sam Werner

@SWernerPG
#Pens lines in morning skate:
Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist
Sheary-Brassard-Kessel
Kuhnhackl-Sheahan-Simon

Is it any coincidence that Rust has gone absolutely quiet since being put with Sid?
Look I get rewarding players for hard work and promoting them and Rust has earned it, but he just does not go with Crosby

Hags- Geno- Horny
Rust - Brass - Kessell

Those lines WORK. We know they work. Don't fuck with them. Just worry about finding a combo for Sid...