It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pens vs. Isles
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:06 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:
I guess we see it differently to a degree.

I know this though, if Malkin only had 22 goals in 66 games there would be a flood of voices on this board ostracizing his play.

And the Pens resurgence towards the playoffs since January has been fueled more so by Malkin than any other player on the team.

Eh, Malkin's slumps are often accompanied by horrible penalties and moronic play, which is where I think a lot of the anger comes from. He goes from being arguable the most dangerous player in the world at his best, to arguably being a detriment to the team at his worst.

Sid goes from being the best in the world to just being human for stretches.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:15 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
I think Crosby is nursing his energy.

49 extra games in the last two years...it takes a toll.

22 goals in 66 games isn't good enough for the best player in the world. His shot average is down and he hasn't taken many games over this year like he has done consistently in the past.

If he is 'nursing' his energy then he is cheating his team mates.
And what about Malkin and Kessel?
Kessel carried this team early on when the other two franchise pieces were struggling(or in Crosby's case nursing it). Now Malkin has been the hottest player in the league for over two months and he is getting MVP chatter for it.
How come they aren't 'nursing' it?
Malkin and Kessel played just as many extra games the past two seasons and Kessel hasn't missed a game in years.

The Pens are in a playoff race with two teams that don't look like they will falter. We need Crosby, our best player, to play better if we are to over take Philly and Washington.

Flyers have now lost three in a row, and while they were winning before, they were against slightly lesser teams and they weren’t looking like world-beatersin those wins.

They may indeed falter.

Washington is 4-5 in its last nine. Who knows with them?

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:43 pm 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:

I know this though, if Malkin only had 22 goals in 66 games there would be a flood of voices on this board ostracizing his play.

And the Pens resurgence towards the playoffs since January has been fueled more so by Malkin than any other player on the team.

Eh, Malkin's slumps are often accompanied by horrible penalties and moronic play, which is where I think a lot of the anger comes from. He goes from being arguable the most dangerous player in the world at his best, to arguably being a detriment to the team at his worst.

I can agree with some of this to a degree.
What irks me is the notion that Crosby might be saving himself for the playoff run. I don't know if it is true or not but we need Crosby at his best right now.
And let's be honest about this season until now-Kessel carried the team until January then Malkin took over and played what is most likely the best two month period of his career.

Looking back at the last two Cup runs it has been 81/87 and 71 who carried the load(along with a few periphery guys as well). It's not like Crosby went Lemieux during either run.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:55 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:
Louis Lipps Service wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:

I can agree with some of this to a degree.
What irks me is the notion that Crosby might be saving himself for the playoff run. I don't know if it is true or not but we need Crosby at his best right now.
And let's be honest about this season until now-Kessel carried the team until January then Malkin took over and played what is most likely the best two month period of his career.

Looking back at the last two Cup runs it has been 81/87 and 71 who carried the load(along with a few periphery guys as well). It's not like Crosby went Lemieux during either run.

Yeah, I definitely don't think he's "saving himself" or anything like that.

And like I've said before, I don't buy the "tired because of too many games over the past 3 seasons" one bit. Like you mentioned, that doesn't seem to be affecting Malkin or Kessel at all. And if Kessel isn't playing tired, I don't know how the hell a guy with Sid's training regimen could be.

And had we last in the playoffs last year a round or two earlier last season, no one would be suggesting that fatigue is a factor. So do those 14 games make that much of a difference? I highly doubt it.