It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Pens get Brassard
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16809
Is it crazy to think that, considering the fire red hot 3rd line the Pens are putting out there right-– that they might ease Broussard in as the center of a loaded up 4th line? He's a good two way player, and if the Pens use the 4th line liberally vs opponents' top lines, they might be able to have some success.

Zach Aston-Reese -- Sidney Crosby -- Conor Sheary

Carl Hagelin -- Evgeni Malkin -- Hornqvist

Jake Guentzel -- Riley Sheahan -- Phil Kessel

Dominik Simon -- Broussard -- Bryan Rust

_________________
bradshaw2ben wrote:
PIT 30, LAC 17, NFL 16


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens get Brassard
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:43 pm
Posts: 917
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Is it crazy to think that, considering the fire red hot 3rd line the Pens are putting out there right-– that they might ease Broussard in as the center of a loaded up 4th line? He's a good two way player, and if the Pens use the 4th line liberally vs opponents' top lines, they might be able to have some success.

Zach Aston-Reese -- Sidney Crosby -- Conor Sheary

Carl Hagelin -- Evgeni Malkin -- Hornqvist

Jake Guentzel -- Riley Sheahan -- Phil Kessel

Dominik Simon -- Broussard -- Bryan Rust


Nah. The Penguins aren't going up against the Packers in the Super Bowl in this situation.

I think Sheary sticks out like a sore thumb at this point. He needs to find a spot with Sid or he's practically useless. Even then, he's still been mostly useless.

He seems like he could be a guy thrown to the wolves for a "different" kind of player. The first line needs to be sorted out, and it's a shame that the Penguins can't see more of ZAR/Crosby or Simon/Crosby before the deadline to know what they really have there. Based on the retention on Brassard for this year, the Penguins can take on a player with a $6.5 million contract. May be possible to dump more chips in on a guy for Sid. If he's not a FA at the end of the season, it all but guarantees Hornqvist's departure.

What chips?

Sheary, 1st round 2 years from now + other picks, Sprong




I really wouldnt mind seeing Sprong back up.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens get Brassard
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16809
Hacksaw, I'm just saying-- if you put good, responsible two-way players on line 4-- they can be skilled offensively, right? I was just trying to come up with a way to have 4 really good lines-- just increases the mismatches and protects our D a little.

Seems like the Pens have the wing talent and now the center talent to pull that off. Why should the 4th line be a throwaway?

I, too, like Sid-Sheary... and I think ZAR or perhaps Sprong is the right complement to those two. Guentzel-Sheehan-Phil... I don't see how you can break up that line unless it cools.

_________________
bradshaw2ben wrote:
PIT 30, LAC 17, NFL 16


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens get Brassard
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:04 pm
Posts: 3007
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Hacksaw, I'm just saying-- if you put good, responsible two-way players on line 4-- they can be skilled offensively, right? I was just trying to come up with a way to have 4 really good lines-- just increases the mismatches and protects our D a little.

Seems like the Pens have the wing talent and now the center talent to pull that off. Why should the 4th line be a throwaway?

I, too, like Sid-Sheary... and I think ZAR or perhaps Sprong is the right complement to those two. Guentzel-Sheehan-Phil... I don't see how you can break up that line unless it cools.



Until last night Phil was pretty cold in the statistics department. He was interviewed during the Ottawa game and said he needed to start scoring again. Something like 2 weeks with no goals and a few assists. Hopefully last night was the catalyst to him find the scoring touch again.
Guentzel has been putting the puck in the net and Sheahan was a TO machine last night.

I don't see how you can play Brassard on the fourth line. Sheahan is better on the fourth line(fewer minutes) and Sully has time to workout who plays where especially in the top 9.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens get Brassard
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:43 pm
Posts: 917
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Hacksaw, I'm just saying-- if you put good, responsible two-way players on line 4-- they can be skilled offensively, right? I was just trying to come up with a way to have 4 really good lines-- just increases the mismatches and protects our D a little.

Seems like the Pens have the wing talent and now the center talent to pull that off. Why should the 4th line be a throwaway?

I, too, like Sid-Sheary... and I think ZAR or perhaps Sprong is the right complement to those two. Guentzel-Sheehan-Phil... I don't see how you can break up that line unless it cools.



There's a 16-page thread because I don't want the 4th line to be a throwaway. So you're barking up the wrong tree with that one.

Consider though, Phil Kessel had 1 point in 6 games prior to his outburst last night. That pretty much covers the duration of this line. It showed itself a few games prior to that, but Kessel was mostly doing his damage on the power play or with malkin/hagelin.

I'd rather have the superior player get more minutes with better teammates. It's that simple. Let's not "Iginla on his offwing" complicate this.

Of Guentzel's recent hot streak, he's had some PP points and a fair bit of points with Crosby. Sheahan's had points with Simon and Reaves during this stretch (RIP).

The third line mismatch will still be there, and because the wingers are so deep (as you mentioned), why not just create a 4th line that has Sheahan instead of Brassard with all that depth? Release the hounds.

The issue is finding a first line that works between now and the playoffs.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens get Brassard
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16809
I think the 1st line that works is a big ???

'I think who is a competent #6 D Man?' is a bigger issue.

_________________
bradshaw2ben wrote:
PIT 30, LAC 17, NFL 16


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens get Brassard
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 4927
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
Simon is poop.

Hunwick is worse. We need a defenseman.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens get Brassard
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16809
Bring up Sprong. Play Ruhwedel. Add a D Man from the giveaway rent-a-vet pile.

_________________
bradshaw2ben wrote:
PIT 30, LAC 17, NFL 16


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens get Brassard
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm
Posts: 7448
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Bring up Sprong. Play Ruhwedel. Add a D Man from the giveaway rent-a-vet pile.



Ruhwedel was doing okay in last year's playoffs until hurt v. Ottawa, wasn't he?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens get Brassard
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:55 pm
Posts: 4532
swissvale72 wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Bring up Sprong. Play Ruhwedel. Add a D Man from the giveaway rent-a-vet pile.



Ruhwedel was doing okay in last year's playoffs until hurt v. Ottawa, wasn't he?


He was indeed and earlier this year he acquited himself very well as a bottom pair guy. He's not going to get involved in the offense, even though he can skate it out but he's not going to blow assignments like hunwick either. Think of ruh as a smaller and less talented Dumolin. Both can skate but have minimal offensive game


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens get Brassard
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:55 pm
Posts: 4532
Bruins get Nash ( at a major price) . Pleckanc goes to Toronto


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens get Brassard
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:55 pm
Posts: 4532
Cole goes to Columbus


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens get Brassard
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:13 am 
Online

Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:55 pm
Posts: 1945
I was listening to Josh Yohe on the DVE morning show this morning and he mentioned that in talking with Rutherford, he came away convinced that he definitely isn't done...at least not if he has anything to say about it.

He got the impression that a depth D-man was very much a priority and wouldn't be afraid to send more picks away to get it. Yohe speculated that Sheary could also be part of a package as he makes $3M and hasn't really done much this year.

Going to be a fun few days, I think.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens get Brassard
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 4927
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
Turns out, unless you're a big Jeff Jooris fan, they were pretty much done. Wish we could have shored up the bottom pairing on defense a little, but hey, maybe they'll give Ruhwedel a shot next to Oleksiak. Certainly couldn't be any worse than Hunwick was against Florida.

The Lufthansa Heist/Brassard trade parody Benstonium has up is an amusing watch.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens get Brassard
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:15 am 
Online

Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:55 pm
Posts: 1945
Ice wrote:
Turns out, unless you're a big Jeff Jooris fan, they were pretty much done. Wish we could have shored up the bottom pairing on defense a little, but hey, maybe they'll give Ruhwedel a shot next to Oleksiak. Certainly couldn't be any worse than Hunwick was against Florida.

The Lufthansa Heist/Brassard trade parody Benstonium has up is an amusing watch.


I'd have certainly liked another defenseman, but from reading JR's quotes, doesn't seem like there was much of a deal to be made out there.

I'm fine with rolling with what we have. Hunwick is obviously a weak spot, but I think we can overcome that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens get Brassard
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16809
Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Ice wrote:
Turns out, unless you're a big Jeff Jooris fan, they were pretty much done. Wish we could have shored up the bottom pairing on defense a little, but hey, maybe they'll give Ruhwedel a shot next to Oleksiak. Certainly couldn't be any worse than Hunwick was against Florida.

The Lufthansa Heist/Brassard trade parody Benstonium has up is an amusing watch.


I'd have certainly liked another defenseman, but from reading JR's quotes, doesn't seem like there was much of a deal to be made out there.

I'm fine with rolling with what we have. Hunwick is obviously a weak spot, but I think we can overcome that.

Yes, by sending him to the bench in favor of Ruhwedel.

_________________
bradshaw2ben wrote:
PIT 30, LAC 17, NFL 16


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens get Brassard
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:42 pm 
Online

Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:55 pm
Posts: 1945
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Ice wrote:
Turns out, unless you're a big Jeff Jooris fan, they were pretty much done. Wish we could have shored up the bottom pairing on defense a little, but hey, maybe they'll give Ruhwedel a shot next to Oleksiak. Certainly couldn't be any worse than Hunwick was against Florida.

The Lufthansa Heist/Brassard trade parody Benstonium has up is an amusing watch.


I'd have certainly liked another defenseman, but from reading JR's quotes, doesn't seem like there was much of a deal to be made out there.

I'm fine with rolling with what we have. Hunwick is obviously a weak spot, but I think we can overcome that.

Yes, by sending him to the bench in favor of Ruhwedel.


I don't think anyone here would be against that. But if that's our biggest and potentially only significant problem, I think we're in pretty damn good shape.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens get Brassard
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:26 pm
Posts: 4697
not much depth on the blue line - esp. in case of injury


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens get Brassard
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16809
Hunwick is a big liability, though, because he's been giving up goals and scoring chances like mad since he's been in there. He's played soft in neutral ice and holding the point. Either he's massively rusty from sitting so much, or he's lost his mojo altogether. You can't afford a weak link that weak, can you? Even Hainsey had his moments.

_________________
bradshaw2ben wrote:
PIT 30, LAC 17, NFL 16


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens get Brassard
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 4927
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
Hainsey>>>>>Hunwick, not even close, and Hainsey was pretty brutal to watch at times.

Hunwick is The Piece in his last year here, if not a little worse.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens get Brassard
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:21 pm 
Online

Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:55 pm
Posts: 1945
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Hunwick is a big liability, though, because he's been giving up goals and scoring chances like mad since he's been in there. He's played soft in neutral ice and holding the point. Either he's massively rusty from sitting so much, or he's lost his mojo altogether. You can't afford a weak link that weak, can you? Even Hainsey had his moments.


I think a lot of people are focusing too much on that Florida game, which he was horrific in, for sure. And that's not say I think he's good, otherwise. Only that he's not going to be as bad down the stretch as he was in that FLA game, which I believe is good enough.

On the possibility of him being rusty, I wasn't paying particularly close attention to it myself, but I've heard he was also playing on the left side in that game. Which is supposedly his more natural side, but not the one he'd been playing most of the season.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens get Brassard
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16809
Hunwick was better tonight, but still on the ice for the first two goals.

_________________
bradshaw2ben wrote:
PIT 30, LAC 17, NFL 16


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens get Brassard
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:55 pm
Posts: 4532
From 31 thoughts:


11
• What happened to Karlsson, Pacioretty deals?
• Ducks, Jets had interest in Nash
• Leafs never really close on McDonagh
Let’s start with some Max Pacioretty. Then, we will move on to Erik Karlsson.

After Montreal’s 1-0 shootout loss to Philadelphia on Monday night, an un-traded Pacioretty passionately addressed his future. Several hours earlier, he had dropped off son Max Jr. at daycare in a Canadiens jersey.

“I’m here to tell you guys that, honestly, I hope things can work out here,” the captain said.

Pacioretty told the media that he met with GM Marc Bergevin after the deadline. While whatever was said in that conversation remains private, there is no doubt it changed his outlook. In the days and weeks leading up to Monday, Pacioretty never explicitly demanded a trade, but his feelings were well-known inside the organization.

Frustrated and tired, he was ready to go.

Bergevin didn’t make it easy. He aimed high and never wavered. It’s believed that, when Los Angeles inquired, Bergevin’s ask involved Tyler Toffoli, 2017 first-rounder Gabriel Vilardi and possibly more. The Kings quickly said no. Another belief: He asked Minnesota for Charlie Coyle-plus, also a no.

One of Pacioretty’s preferred destinations is Florida. GM Dale Tallon is close with Bergevin. I suspect the Canadiens targeted Vincent Trocheck. The Panthers weren’t doing that.

You get the idea. Montreal valued Pacioretty and refused to make a panic move at the buzzer.

More from Sportsnet

Down Goes Brown: NHL Trade Deadline winners and losers
SEAN MCINDOE

NHL Power Rankings: Trade Deadline Grades Edition
LUKE FOX
What I think happened after was the captain had some time to breathe and think. He had his conversation with Bergevin. When you don’t get traded, and your team isn’t going to the playoffs, there is a choice: You can grit your teeth and push through, or you can say, “Whatever happens, I’m going to attack this with a great attitude.”

It sounds like Pacioretty is going for option B.

One source used the phrase “excited” to describe him, another used “refreshed.” He bought a home in Montreal two years ago, not the action of anyone hoping to make a getaway. He is going to try to get back to that frame of mind.

In a joyless season, the Canadiens could use an enthusiasm infusion. On every team, the captain sets a tone. Seventeen months before his contract expires, Max Pacioretty gets a chance to write a new ending.

31 THOUGHTS
1. I believe there were teams who asked Bergevin about Brendan Gallagher. It sounds like those conversations were short.

2. On Karlsson, my sense is the Vegas trade fell apart because of how the purchase price would be adjusted by Bobby Ryan’s inclusion. I’m not 100 per cent sure if it was Ottawa’s ask or Vegas’s offer, but one of the rumblings is that the teams were talking two first-rounders, a high-level prospect and a conditional pick for Karlsson — the condition being whether or not the Golden Knights re-signed him. Whatever the case, it didn’t happen and I can’t imagine Vegas would have been willing to do all that if they were taking Ryan’s contract, too.

I’m one of those who believes that this was the optimum time for Ottawa to deal Karlsson, because the leverage flips to the player the closer he gets to free agency. That said, there were undoubtedly teams who said they would be able to make better offers at the draft, and that is the wager GM Pierre Dorion made. Ottawa also faces a difficult decision on its 2018 first-rounder, since, if it is not given to Colorado, the 2019 version must go to the Avalanche. Maybe someone with a high pick decides it wants Karlsson for a quick turnaround, which could solve that problem.

31 Thoughts: The Podcast
Sportsnet's newest podcast is a weekly deep dive into the biggest hockey news in the world. New episodes every Wednesday.
Apple Podcasts | Podcatchers | Listen Now
3. So who else was in? I believe San Jose also told the Senators it could do both Karlsson and Ryan. The Sharks have a boatload of cap room. I’m not aware of any others who offered to do both. Tampa Bay obviously made a pitch, but what the Lightning did with the Rangers clearly didn’t appeal to Ottawa (more on the Rangers later).

Capitals GM Brian MacLellan admitted to the Washington Post’s Isabelle Khurshudyan that he “explored adding a higher-end” defenceman, and he did inquire on both Karlsson and Ryan McDonagh. Caveat: I have no idea how he was going to pull it off.

I’m convinced Nashville did more than kick tires, which could have been an all-time blockbuster. A couple of sources indicated Toronto was looking to add another first-round pick, and it would have been interesting to see what the Maple Leafs were going to do with that. Don’t know about Colorado or New Jersey, but both make sense from a logical perspective.

4. One exec on Vegas eating 40 percent of Derick Brassard’s salary. “I can’t believe the NHL let it happen, but I wish I’d thought of it.”

5. One of the major issues with the original Ottawa-Pittsburgh-Vegas Brassard deal was the various trades were not submitted in the proper order. So the Golden Knights were eating the money without technically ever having Brassard on the roster. A source from a team not involved said he spent almost an hour on the phone with an exec who helped put together the moves — and still didn’t fully understand what happened. Crazy.

The Jeff Blair Show
Dream season for Golden Knights, but will April bring forth a rude awakening?
Originally aired February 28 2018



Audio Player
00:00 | 11:39Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume.
6. I do believe Pittsburgh considered McDonagh, but by the time it was reported, they’d already realized they couldn’t make it work. The rest of the Eastern Conference groaned in disappointment when the Penguins got Brassard. Can only imagine the reaction if McDonagh happened.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens get Brassard
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:18 pm
Posts: 10710
he waiting till playoffs to try scoring? :x


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens get Brassard
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:17 am 
Online

Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:55 pm
Posts: 1945
bam morris wrote:
he waiting till playoffs to try scoring? :x


It’s been two games. Relax.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chidi Iwuoma, Google [Bot], Louis Lipps Service and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group