It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pirates trade for Corey Dickerson
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:08 am 

Jeemie wrote:
Meh.

Not a bad trade, but it’s like getting Brian Giles.

The greatest deal in Pirates history if this guy turns into Brian Giles :lol:

Last edited by Suwanee88 on Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:37 am 

bam morris wrote:
SteelPro wrote:
bam morris wrote:
so whats the latest with jung ho? whats holding him up from playing? u s government or korea? seems like over kill for a couple misdemeanor offenses.. dude can play and pay fines; don't allow him to drive; give him probation.. I'm confused by the harshness..

The U.S. is holding it up. They won't grant him a visa. There are rumors floating around that he lied or withheld information about his previous DUIs from his earlier visa applications back when he originally came to the US and that has him flagged as a permanent denial.

that's nuts..i mean its not like hes a spy or terrorist..let the dude make a living.. seems it be a great propaganda story for usa and south korea vs the north if nothing else..think hes been over punished.

Sorry, but I disagree. He just isn't getting special treatment. And why should he? Just because he is an athlete? He has multiple DUIs. One in which he fled the scene of an accident. He may have lied on previous visa applications. And lets not forget about the sexual assault allegations in Chicago. Is this the kind of guy we should be allowing in our country? I say hell no. And if it wasn't for him being a professional athlete there wouldn't be a chance in hell of him procuring a visa. He doesn't need to come here to make a living. The Korean League pays pretty well. Lots of American players go over there and make couple hundred grand per year instead of playing for peanuts in the Independent leagues in the US. I hope he never gets permitted in.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:56 am 

As for the trade... no complaints from me. Nothing was really given up. Hudson was a waste. Dickerson probably makes up for most of what the lineup lost from losing McCutchen. But still well short of what it would take for me to want venture into PNC park this year. Not that it matters but the salaries were a complete wash. Pirates pitched in $1M to even it out.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:57 pm 

No...perfectly coherent.

I was responding to a poster who put out the hypothesis that Nutting might have been “feeling the heat” and so “had to do something to show he’s trying to compete”.

This falls far short of that...just like getting Giles did.

Good players...but the rest of the team still sucks.

Maybe this team sucks a little less than the Pirates of Giles’ day, but Dickerson didn’t put the Pirates on the path to contention.

Like Pro...this doesn’t get me wanting to watch them.

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:54 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
No...perfectly coherent.

I was responding to a poster who put out the hypothesis that Nutting might have been “feeling the heat” and so “had to do something to show he’s trying to compete”.

Maybe this team sucks a little less than the Pirates of Giles’ day, but Dickerson didn’t put the Pirates on the path to contention.

Ownership wasn't "feeling the heat" when they traded for Giles. It wasn't even the same ownership group. Giles was an unknown 4th OFer when he was traded to the Pirates. You're also under the assumption that ownership in this scenario did something only to appease the fanbase instead of...I don't know...make the team better?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:08 pm 

Speaking of Giles, it's been 19 years since the Pirates acquired him. 19 years!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:06 am 

Hacksaw Jim Duggan wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
No...perfectly coherent.

Ownership wasn't "feeling the heat" when they traded for Giles. It wasn't even the same ownership group. Giles was an unknown 4th OFer when he was traded to the Pirates. You're also under the assumption that ownership in this scenario did something only to appease the fanbase instead of...I don't know...make the team better?

Reading comprehension problems now?

I assumed nothing.

I was answering a poster who asked a question...nothing more.

Who’s living is whose head again?

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:53 am 

I see this as a token bone thrown to the fans.. not enough to keep this team out of last place..

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:09 am 

bam morris wrote:
I see this as a token bone thrown to the fans.. not enough to keep this team out of last place..

100% The petitions and call for boycotting must have got Nutting on the horn to make a deal that will look like they are spending money to the average rube.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:10 am 

Well, they couldn’t just sit back and do nothing, right? RIGHT??? :roll: