It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs Jackets Game 5 4-20-17
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:01 am 

I knew the Jackets were going to lose that game as soon as they showed Torts flipping shit about the goalie interference call. Zero composure from the coach, and his team gives up a goal on the ensuing PP, and then one more a minute later.

The fact that the Columbus media is trying to push that as a "controversial" call is pretty funny.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:26 am 

COR-TEN wrote:
Anybody see tortorella's post game presser?

What a dick.

That was pretty tame by Torts. Normally he is talking about Malkin and Crosby as if they are serial killers or molesters of small furry animals.
He didn't throw anyone under the bus which means he is learning from that in his past or he is mellowing.

What he won't talk about is his goalie. Great in the regular season but in the playoffs he is ordinary at best. Unless Bobrovsky finds his inner Brodeur the Jackets won't contend for the cup with him in net.

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Sid was quiet until the 3rd period, which coincided with Horny being placed on his line. I think Sheary-Sid-Guenztel is dead much like HBK had it's run. Probably a good thing to spread out the depth as Sheary will get a little less attention being moved down the lineup.

Sullivan has some hard thinking to do about the lines going into the future. Hagelin is probably going to be back for the next series and maybe Kunitz. It will be interesting to see who gets the scratch.

I loved the top line until the last two games. IMO they, as a group are too small to match up against bigger lines especially Sheary. Agree with DB about moving Horny up there and Sheary down. Top line was a defensive liability in the Columbus series and the numbers express that.

The great news:
The Pens moved on and they seem to be as healthy as they were entering the series.
Fleury is grand at home.
Malkin is piping hot and Crosby scored a big goal in the clincher.

The good news:
We get some time off to rest and work on the issues at hand. More practice for the injured guys.
Maata played his best game in game 5 in a long while.
Kessel is a playoff kind of guy. Ditto for Bonino.
We most likely get Hagelin back soon.

The so so news:
Hainsey is good from his blue line into the offensive zone. He can jump in and help and seems more comfortable there.
Wilson is a fourth line winger.
Dumo had lapses in this series we didn't see last year so hopefully it was just the Jackets and not a problem going forward.
We won't face a team next series as physical as the Jackets.

The not so good news:
Fleury is terrible right now on the road. I don't get how he can be so Jekyll and Hyde home and away. He has to be better on the road going into the next series.
We get Kunitz back. Would have loved him against Columbus but I don't see how he can really help us against teams like Washington and Toronto.
Hainsey SUCKS in his own end.
What is the matter with Sheary? I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't playing through something right now. He had better moments in game 5 compared to the previous two games but he is a shadow of what he was a few weeks ago.

Great victory and considering how Columbus brought it every game and with the relentless onslaught they displayed it is surprising we won out in 5. Champions figure out how to win even when they are not at their best or the other team is playing to theirs.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:37 am 

Pabst wrote:
I knew the Jackets were going to lose that game as soon as they showed Torts flipping shit about the goalie interference call. Zero composure from the coach, and his team gives up a goal on the ensuing PP, and then one more a minute later.

The fact that the Columbus media is trying to push that as a "controversial" call is pretty funny.

To be fair, it was a lame call...no probably directly led to the blatant cross check on Hornqvist that could have seriously injured him NOT getting called.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:37 am 

Sounds like Hagelin isn't skating, so don't count on him being back for Washington. DK says it's possible Kunitz is back before Hags

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:38 am 

COR-TEN wrote:
Anybody see tortorella's post game presser?

What a dick.

Torts didn't even shake hand w/ the Pens players (only the coaches)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:54 am 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Sounds like Hagelin isn't skating, so don't count on him being back for Washington. DK says it's possible Kunitz is back before Hags

For Washington? Not so fast, my friend.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:00 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:
What is the matter with Sheary? I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't playing through something right now. He had better moments in game 5 compared to the previous two games but he is a shadow of what he was a few weeks ago.
I remember seeing him take a hard hit last game behind the net. Went to the bench grimacing. Badly. Maybe you're right, but anytime a physical team plays him, he seems to get quiet. Is it just me that thinks he's only good in open space? He gets pushed off the puck very easily. He's a generous 5'8" at 175 lbs. Last year, or when Haglin, Letang, and all were playing, opponents had to contain those guys, and sheary took advantage slipping through the cracks. He skates/ handles the puck well, and is fast with good vision, but when you go against guys 6" taller and 20 -30 lbs heavier. . . ? He seems to get lost in the wash.

Am I making that up?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:07 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:
I remember seeing him take a hard hit last game behind the net. Went to the bench grimacing. Badly. Maybe you're right, but anytime a physical team plays him, he seems to get quiet. Is it just me that thinks he's only good in open space? He gets pushed off the puck very easily. He's a generous 5'8" at 175 lbs. Last year, or when Haglin, Letang, and all were playing, opponents had to contain those guys, and sheary took advantage slipping through the cracks. He skates/ handles the puck well, and is fast with good vision, but when you go against guys 6" taller and 20 -30 lbs heavier. . . ? He seems to get lost in the wash.

Am I making that up?

IMO the top line is dynamic in the offensive zone when everyone is healthy. I suspect that Sheary is banged up. On the defensive side they are so small that to be effective over a whole series in their own end is asking a lot. They were on the ice for more than half the Jacket goals in the series.
What they need is a physical presence on that line to disrupt the opposition. When it is 87/59/43 teams get it deep behind the net and then go to work leaning on the smaller opponents. A guy like Hornqvist makes that harder to do because he will bang right back.

I'd shift Sheary to the the third line in place of Wilson.

Honestly I don't think any of the lines were great or even good for sustained periods of time in this series defensively. Add in a weak D corp with only one guy(Daley) who can or will take the puck and skate it out of his end. I thought we might see more of that from Schultz but he seems more bent on trying not to make mistakes which plagues what is his true game.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:10 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:

For Washington? Not so fast, my friend.

Looking back Hagelin took to the ice back on 4-7 and 4-8 but after that it seems he regressed.
The timetable was for him to be back by the first series if not in the middle of it.
Who knows with the quasi status cloak and dagger/top secret mindset when it comes to injuries in the NHL.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:18 pm 

Quote:
I'd shift Sheary to the the third line in place of Wilson.

I agree... unless you need to start pushing for offense late in games, then switch back.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next