It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Steelers first round pick will be...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:33 pm 

I think Goedert will be TE #1 or 2 at worst. Why do you think that's so ridiculous, Ice?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:57 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
I think Goedert will be TE #1 or 2 at worst. Why do you think that's so ridiculous, Ice?

I agree with this assessment. I have him as the best TE in the draft.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:13 pm 

I'm not sure I see a first round TE in this class. Goedert would really have to show out athletically to get there, imho.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:15 am 

Provided the injury he suffered in FCS Quarters proves to be no big deal, I think he'll test really well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:47 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Provided the injury he suffered in FCS Quarters proves to be no big deal, I think he'll test really well.

Wow, so Perch was right and that really was your alibi for the Haley beating...

If that's the case, then maybe he gets into the first. Andrews might go ahead because of the big school bias. Ian Thomas isn't even in the CBS top ten at the position, and I liked what I saw out of him in limited samples this season. I just think there's a lot of pretty good at TE this year, with a shortage of great. Decently deep, but not spectacular so far.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:10 pm 

Hopefully someone like a Troy Palamalu. Or the best ILB seen in awhile.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:35 pm 

I want to toss out an interesting player. Not a 1st round pick unless he really really blows up the combine. i could see them trading back to get him if Evans and Smith are gone

Leighton Vander Esch, OLB, Boise State

From Rob Rang
Quote:
STRENGTHS
Looks the part of a modern day NFL linebacker with a strapping, well-built frame including broad shoulders, long arms, a tapered middle and good overall weight distribution. Shows very good key and diagnosis skills, frequenting taking steps towards the direction of the play even before the snap. Shows aggression, as well as good body control and strong technique in taking on, alternately using his length and powerful hands to initiate the contract and disengage quickly or turning his frame to offer just a shoulder (thereby leaving little target for blockers to hit) and sliding off to get in on the tackle of the ball-carrier. A very reliable open-field tackler, using his long arms to trip up ball-carriers seemingly out of his grasp and using textbook hit-life-drive technique to stop even talented runners in their tracks (San Diego State-2017). Impressive agility, body control and speed for a man of his size. Slides well laterally and shows the easy hip turn and smooth acceleration to change directions for coverage duties or when avoiding would-be blockers on the blitz... Basketball (and experience on offense) shows in his comfort boxing out would-be receivers and turning pass breakups into interceptions, with three takeaways on just six career passes defensed. Voted a team captain in 2017... -- Rob Rang 1/7/2018

WEAKNESSES
Possesses relatively long legs for an inside linebacker, which leaves him vulnerable to cut-blocks, an area that he could improve with greater awareness and technique to sprawl and use his length to defeat them. While generally showing impressive body control for his size, Vander Esch can get greedy, getting too far over his skis and lunging at ball-carriers, rather than breaking down. Needs to show greater variance as a pass rusher, relying upon his length, physicality and agility to physically beat blocks but showing little technique. Comes with legitimate one-year wonder and level of competition questions. Missed seven games in 2016 due to an undisclosed injury which teams may need to investigate at the Combine. Hails from a small rural town and may struggle acclimating to larger media market. - Rob Rang 1/7/2018

COMPARES TO : 2018 Hall of Fame finalist Brian Urlacher, Bears - It might seem presumptuous to compare Vander Esch - essentially a one-year wonder - to Urlacher, who recorded an eye-popping 1,229 tackles and 41.5 sacks over his 13 NFL seasons, all in Chicago. There are some eerie similarities between the two, however, not the least of which are their similar sizes, athleticism, physical tackling and small-school backgrounds. It is worth remembering that prior to earning the No. 9 overall pick in 2000, the 6-4, 258 pound Urlacher also fell off the recruiting radar after playing eight-man football in high school and played his college ball at New Mexico before

IN OUR VIEW
Frankly, if there was a "Breakout Player of the Year" award in college football, Vander Esch would have won it in 2017. Sure, there is risk involved whenever investing an early round selection in a player with just one dominant season, especially given the questionable competition Vander Esch faced in the Mountain West. The tape doesn't lie, though. Vander Esch offers a prototypical blend of size, strength and athleticism for linebacker and is an instinctive, physical player with the range and reliable open-field tackling ability to warrant at least top 50 consideration and perhaps even a first round pick.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:43 pm 

jebrick wrote:
I want to toss out an interesting player. Not a 1st round pick unless he really really blows up the combine. i could see them trading back to get him if Evans and Smith are gone

Leighton Vander Esch, OLB, Boise State

From Rob Rang
Quote:
STRENGTHS
Looks the part of a modern day NFL linebacker with a strapping, well-built frame including broad shoulders, long arms, a tapered middle and good overall weight distribution. Shows very good key and diagnosis skills, frequenting taking steps towards the direction of the play even before the snap. Shows aggression, as well as good body control and strong technique in taking on, alternately using his length and powerful hands to initiate the contract and disengage quickly or turning his frame to offer just a shoulder (thereby leaving little target for blockers to hit) and sliding off to get in on the tackle of the ball-carrier. A very reliable open-field tackler, using his long arms to trip up ball-carriers seemingly out of his grasp and using textbook hit-life-drive technique to stop even talented runners in their tracks (San Diego State-2017). Impressive agility, body control and speed for a man of his size. Slides well laterally and shows the easy hip turn and smooth acceleration to change directions for coverage duties or when avoiding would-be blockers on the blitz... Basketball (and experience on offense) shows in his comfort boxing out would-be receivers and turning pass breakups into interceptions, with three takeaways on just six career passes defensed. Voted a team captain in 2017... -- Rob Rang 1/7/2018

WEAKNESSES
Possesses relatively long legs for an inside linebacker, which leaves him vulnerable to cut-blocks, an area that he could improve with greater awareness and technique to sprawl and use his length to defeat them. While generally showing impressive body control for his size, Vander Esch can get greedy, getting too far over his skis and lunging at ball-carriers, rather than breaking down. Needs to show greater variance as a pass rusher, relying upon his length, physicality and agility to physically beat blocks but showing little technique. Comes with legitimate one-year wonder and level of competition questions. Missed seven games in 2016 due to an undisclosed injury which teams may need to investigate at the Combine. Hails from a small rural town and may struggle acclimating to larger media market. - Rob Rang 1/7/2018

COMPARES TO : 2018 Hall of Fame finalist Brian Urlacher, Bears - It might seem presumptuous to compare Vander Esch - essentially a one-year wonder - to Urlacher, who recorded an eye-popping 1,229 tackles and 41.5 sacks over his 13 NFL seasons, all in Chicago. There are some eerie similarities between the two, however, not the least of which are their similar sizes, athleticism, physical tackling and small-school backgrounds. It is worth remembering that prior to earning the No. 9 overall pick in 2000, the 6-4, 258 pound Urlacher also fell off the recruiting radar after playing eight-man football in high school and played his college ball at New Mexico before

IN OUR VIEW
Frankly, if there was a "Breakout Player of the Year" award in college football, Vander Esch would have won it in 2017. Sure, there is risk involved whenever investing an early round selection in a player with just one dominant season, especially given the questionable competition Vander Esch faced in the Mountain West. The tape doesn't lie, though. Vander Esch offers a prototypical blend of size, strength and athleticism for linebacker and is an instinctive, physical player with the range and reliable open-field tackling ability to warrant at least top 50 consideration and perhaps even a first round pick.

Good stuff jebrick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:04 pm 

Ice wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

Wow, so Perch was right and that really was your alibi for the Haley beating...

If that's the case, then maybe he gets into the first. Andrews might go ahead because of the big school bias. Ian Thomas isn't even in the CBS top ten at the position, and I liked what I saw out of him in limited samples this season. I just think there's a lot of pretty good at TE this year, with a shortage of great. Decently deep, but not spectacular so far.

Goedert has the best hands and he's a basketball athlete with football build. I suspect he's going to be a better NFL player than FCS player.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:18 pm 

Marcus Davenport

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next