It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Steelers first round pick will be...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:06 am
Posts: 9098
Ice wrote:
I'm starting to think we should just start picking Alabama players. They're mostly maxed-out, coached up what you see is what you get players. Less chance for Lake and Porter to ruin them.




and Tomlin..his fingerprints are on this defense more than anyone elses


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steelers first round pick will be...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 4696
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
True. I guess I'm partial to blaming position coaches for the lack of player development, and the coordinator and head coach for the more global failures.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steelers first round pick will be...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:45 pm
Posts: 13537
I'm warming up to the LB from South Carolina State, Darius Leonard. Could be there on the 2nd day. Hopefully, end of the 2nd RND? I'm sure how he tests will determine where. MEAC defensive player of the year second year in a row. Thoughts?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steelers first round pick will be...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 4696
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
Steelafan77 wrote:
I'm warming up to the LB from South Carolina State, Darius Leonard. Could be there on the 2nd day. Hopefully, end of the 2nd RND? I'm sure how he tests will determine where. MEAC defensive player of the year second year in a row. Thoughts?


Be interesting to see how he tests out. I could see anywhere from mid-2nd to 4th at this point. Nice highlight reel, low LOC, starting to acquire some buzz already.

Speaking of which, Tremaine Edmunds seems to be already well out of range at 1.28.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steelers first round pick will be...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:57 pm
Posts: 3143
What the mockers say and what happens on draft day is generally very different. For most of these drafts they do not look at historical data on what positions get picked the most. From 10 to 24 I will bet that 80% of those picks will be passrushers(EDGE and DT) and CBs. QB, OT and perhaps a WR will be scattered in there to fill out the other 20%( I would never take a WR in the 1st round but their mileage may vary).

I still like Esch on his football smarts. I would be quite happy with that pick. I am sure NE is looking at him.

_________________
To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
- Henri Poincaré


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steelers first round pick will be...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:06 am
Posts: 9098
Ice wrote:
True. I guess I'm partial to blaming position coaches for the lack of player development, and the coordinator and head coach for the more global failures.




thats fair


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steelers first round pick will be...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 4696
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
jebrick wrote:
What the mockers say and what happens on draft day is generally very different. For most of these drafts they do not look at historical data on what positions get picked the most. From 10 to 24 I will bet that 80% of those picks will be passrushers(EDGE and DT) and CBs. QB, OT and perhaps a WR will be scattered in there to fill out the other 20%( I would never take a WR in the 1st round but their mileage may vary).

I still like Esch on his football smarts. I would be quite happy with that pick. I am sure NE is looking at him.


I look at the height/weight/speed/explosiveness possibilities with Edmunds, and I could see him getting flexed to a couple of different positions, and that kind of versatility could definitely shoot him upwards of pick 28, sadly.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steelers first round pick will be...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:06 am
Posts: 9098
If we could end up with Esch and Penny after the 1st 2 rounds id be happier than a pig in mud. Perhaps we could also do a sign and trade of Lev Bell and pick up another 1st


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steelers first round pick will be...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:57 pm
Posts: 3143
Ice wrote:
jebrick wrote:
What the mockers say and what happens on draft day is generally very different. For most of these drafts they do not look at historical data on what positions get picked the most. From 10 to 24 I will bet that 80% of those picks will be passrushers(EDGE and DT) and CBs. QB, OT and perhaps a WR will be scattered in there to fill out the other 20%( I would never take a WR in the 1st round but their mileage may vary).

I still like Esch on his football smarts. I would be quite happy with that pick. I am sure NE is looking at him.


I look at the height/weight/speed/explosiveness possibilities with Edmunds, and I could see him getting flexed to a couple of different positions, and that kind of versatility could definitely shoot him upwards of pick 28, sadly.


If he runs the 40 as what they are predicting ( 4.7-4.9) I will be stunned if he does not fall into the Steeler's range. His last recorded 40 is 4.8. His play recognition is like Shazier, which is to say poor. Shazier had 4.3 speed to make up for that false step. Unless he blows up the combine( like Shazier) I just do not see him taken in the teens.

for reference, Shazier was predicted to run between 4.4 and 4.5. he ran a 4.38

_________________
To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
- Henri Poincaré


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steelers first round pick will be...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 4696
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
Fair enough. Underwear Olympics, for good or ill, can be decisive. Will definitely take a look at this Esch kid, as somebody coming in with football smarts, won't be as susceptible to the poor positional coaching we currently have on offer at LB.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steelers first round pick will be...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:47 am
Posts: 1023
Leonard weighed in at 6'2", 229 today. Passed my size test, I had read somewhere that he was at 215lbs. Now he needs to pass the speed test.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steelers first round pick will be...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16332
smithessmokin wrote:
Leonard weighed in at 6'2", 229 today. Passed my size test, I had read somewhere that he was at 215lbs. Now he needs to pass the speed test.

That's still awfully small for anything but dime backer.

_________________
Suwanee88 wrote:
But it’s your fault that you are kind of a stubborn jagoff that would argue with a fence post


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steelers first round pick will be...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 4696
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
Shaz was 6'1", 237 coming out of tOSU. No such thing as an apples to apples player comp just based on height/weight, but similar at least.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steelers first round pick will be...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:57 pm
Posts: 3143
I think Shazier was playing around 230-235

_________________
To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
- Henri Poincaré


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steelers first round pick will be...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:47 am
Posts: 1023
bradshaw2ben wrote:
smithessmokin wrote:
Leonard weighed in at 6'2", 229 today. Passed my size test, I had read somewhere that he was at 215lbs. Now he needs to pass the speed test.

That's still awfully small for anything but dime backer.

I don't disagree with you, but I was hoping for a measurement of 6'2" 230 when I watched his film. Then I read about him playing smaller and I flagged him as a size question mark. He will have have more time to really refine his body and add 10-15 now that he is out of school.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steelers first round pick will be...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16332
smithessmokin wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
smithessmokin wrote:
Leonard weighed in at 6'2", 229 today. Passed my size test, I had read somewhere that he was at 215lbs. Now he needs to pass the speed test.

That's still awfully small for anything but dime backer.

I don't disagree with you, but I was hoping for a measurement of 6'2" 230 when I watched his film. Then I read about him playing smaller and I flagged him as a size question mark. He will have have more time to really refine his body and add 10-15 now that he is out of school.

Maybe. He doesn't have the base-- more high cut than Shazier and minus the otherworldly closing speed. Fun player to watch but he was skating around out there on interior runs and a step slow to the sideline vs. UCF, for instance.

_________________
Suwanee88 wrote:
But it’s your fault that you are kind of a stubborn jagoff that would argue with a fence post


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
cron
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group