It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: NFL draft rumers from aorund the league
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:09 pm 

Good stuff.

This page of articles well worth reading (from the same author as OP, Dave Te Thomas)

http://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index.php?mode=5&handle=nflscouting

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:57 am 

If they take a 4.8 running D2 TE that can't block in the 2nd, I'll throw all your TVs out the window, and I went to UPJ.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:35 am 

I don't get that hype for Shaheen, sorry... and I am all about move TEs and small schools. He's a very fast for his size guy that will find some level of success with it-- but he's not going to replace the kind of Ladarius Green's production we got when he was healthy.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:45 pm 

this is a good one regarding two NFL teams' actual top 32:

Quote:
1 - I was surprised both teams graded Taco Charlton as a first-round selection.

2 - Neither team grades Deshaun Watson as a top-32 material. Watson has always been a second-round prospect on our board. It doesn’t mean he won’t be selected in the first round.

3 - Reuben Foster has dropped dramatically. The news of his failed/diluted drug test from yesterday was the icing on the cake. One team was ready to take him in the middle of Round 1 but has backed off. I’m told it’s a combination of what’s described as “horrible behavior” as well as concussion issues.

4 - Neither team feels Foster’s teammate, cornerback Marlon Humphrey, grades as one of the top 32 players in the draft. We reported earlier this week that more and more teams are comparing Humphrey to Dee Milliner as a straight-line cornerback.

5 - When asked about UConn defensive back Obi Melifonwu being a potential top-32 prospect, the response from both teams was unanimous -- no way.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:13 am 

Yeah, I am so, so against the Steelers taking Humphrey in ANY round. When I read that he gave up an average of 19 yards a catch that was it for me. I don't care how big he is, how fast he runs, if he can't play the ball, has trouble locating the ball and gets torched routinely deep down the field, there is nothing worth drafting. He is DND to me.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:26 am 

Sean Davis gave up 10 TDs his last two seasons at Maryland.

Artie Burns had a negative grade in coverage from PFF his last year at Miami.

Humphrey is an ultimate upside pick, just like they saw Burns and Davis. Very young, highly athletic, good skills and IQ but has some areas that need coaching up. And maybe those areas can't be coached up and he'll bust, but I think there's a lot of good to work with there.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:25 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
TB wrote:
Do you really see him as an OLB for us? He just looks too big. Saw a comment on one of his YouTube vids that he moves like a guy 20 pounds bigger than what he actually is, yet he's obviously polished and explosive. It's a hard match for me to see.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/04/study-pittsburgh-looks-outside-linebackers/

Willis fits the Steelers parameters perfectly. As FC alluded to on the podcast, I think it's possible the reason they're not looking at him is they think neither Willis nor Bud Dupree can play the right side.

As for size:

6014... 266 Woodley
6040... 269 Bud Dupree
6036... 255 Willis
6015... 261 Carl Lawson

So according to that formula B2B the Steelers have struck out more than hit a homerun. Look at the players drafted,
categories met
Travis Feeney: 6/10 Stolen off the practice squad. Never know. Incomplete.
Bud Dupree: 7/10 Still Raw. No real data yet to evaluate 100%. Incomplete.
Jarvis Jones: 4/10 Complete Bust
Chris Carter: 10/10 Complete Bust
Jason Worilds: 10/10 Started to come on only to retire. Never know how he might have turned out. Incomplete.
Thaddeus Gibson: 7/10 Complete Bust
Bruce Davis: 8/10 Complete Bust
LaMarr Woodley: 6/10 Only player we can realistically evaluate. Did well for a few seasons and then busted out the league.
Not the Track Record I'd want to be part of as a scout, GM or coach. Dismal.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:17 pm 

Saying Lamar Woodley "did well" is a bit of an understatement.

Dude was a play making stud from day one. 35 sacks from 08-10 on the best Steelers D in 30 years, 11 career postseason sacks, was on pace for possible DPOTY in 2011 with 9 sacks in 10 games before that hamstring injury. That's a homerun second round pick.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:38 pm 

Yeah perhaps I sold his accomplishments short. He did do it for 7 season's. His standout season's were 08 (11.5 sacks), 09 (13.5 sacks), 10 (10 sacks) & one could argue 11 (9 sacks). In those 4 season's Woodley played in 57 games out of a possible 64. 09 and 10 were the Only Two Seasons Woodley played in every game. Over his whole career If there was a knock on Wood it's that he was usually injured and didn't play every game. Still, when you look at that formula one player out of 7 panned out. Dupree is still to be determined. That's not a good result.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:05 pm 

That's true. Lots of misses outside of Woodley.

Hoping what we saw late last year from Bud carries through to this year and we get a promising edge to develop behind Harrison. If anything, they're due.