It is currently Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pre Podcast Mock Draft
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:08 pm 

Let me start off by saying I am now a glass half full guy when it comes to the Steelers.

The needle is pointing down for a few reasons IMO.

-This is the last year for Ben. When you begin talking retirement you're done.
-I say the Steelers lack depth...Some posters say I am a chicken little. IMO the Steelers positions of need are

QB
RB
Wr
OLB
ILB
CB
S

So yeah the Steelers have talent issues...Some people would include tight end to my list. If you agree with the Steelers needs...You're lying to yourself if you say the Steelers do not have talent issues on the roster.

-Other assorted issues

# Ryan Shazier’s 21 missed tackles were the fourth-most among linebackers
# Stephon Tuitt's 12 missed tackles,the most among interior defensive linemen
# Bud Dupree didn’t adjust well to life in the NFL, earning the worst grade among all 3-4 OLBs last season (by a wide margin).

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ranking-all-32-defensive-front-sevens-this-season/
https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-why-james-harrison-is-still-one-of-the-leagues-best-olbs/

-I would not franchise Leveon Bell again if he has injury or conduct issues. I don't trust his health. The Steelers and Bell are worlds apart on an extension.

That being said let the rebuild begin.

1.Deshone Kizer QB Notre Dame
2.Tyus Bowser LB Houston
3.Wayne Gallman Rb Clemson
3C.Josh Reynolds Wr Texas AM
4. Howard Wilson CB Houston
5. John Johnson S Boston College
6.Samson Ebukam OLB EWU
7.Chase Allen ILB Southern Illinois

Post subject: Re: Pre Podcast Mock Draft
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:24 pm 

I don't disagree but QBs in this class excite me less than a full season of Landry Jones.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:26 pm 

I don't hate it, and I think we're pretty close on the Steelers needs. As for Ben, I think he just wants to have fun-- right now, it's not fun on offense, it's drudge work. This idea of building around feeding Bell the football (most touches+ targets last year in the NFL, if I read that right) to the exclusion of the stuff that Ben does well-- and with lack of weapons, especially if the whole thing hinges on Green & Bryant... two major question marks.

I really though Kizer was the good a year ago. He started pushing the ball a little bit in 2016-- I wonder if somebody has been working on his mechanics. Also, I'm not a fan of the receivers he was throwing to... but I'm not sure they're any worse than what Mahomes worked with.

I think, rather than a pure WR or TE, we allot one draft pick for a WRish TE or TEish WR. For example:

Evan Engram, Jonnu Smith, Gerald Everett, Leggett, Derrick Griffin, Robert Tonyan, Phazhan Odom, Billy Brown, Eric Shaubert, Bug Howard, Jerome Lane, Noah Brown, Johu Chesson, George Kittle, Cole Hikutini et al

As you probably know, I love Bowser, Reynolds, Wilson, and Chase Allen. Ebukam is, I think, better suited to play 4-3 OLB-- his game reminds of what Jamie Collins did in NE, and he's almost as good an athlete. Not a big fan of Johnson, compared to say Tedric on the free side or Xavier Woods/David Jones or a CB convert like Brian Allen/Adrian Colbert on the Strong side.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:39 pm 

I just want Steelers to draft Tarik Cohen so I can watch him during pre season.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:59 pm 

steelclan wrote:
I just want Steelers to draft Tarik Cohen so I can watch him during pre season.

Yeah, no shit.

Tarik Cohen on a team where you have to worry about other weapons, is a threat to take every screen or choice route to the house.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:22 pm 

If Roethlisberger retired after this new season he'd be leaving close to $30 million on the table. No chance that happens IMO, especially playing for what should be a SB contender the next couple of years.

He was just pissed and burnt out that he spent a full season trying to turn guys like Jesse James, Eli Rogers, Sammie Coates, and Cobi Hamilton into players. Get the Alien back on the field and a shiny new toy in the draft that he's lobbying for and he'll be fine.

I still think we should be drafting a QB every year though from here on out though. Carpet bomb style and hope you hit a Garoppolo type.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:46 pm 

I expected to catch more shit than I did...I did at the ringer :lol:

I honestly think Ben has a ton of money. 3 young kids he wants to play with and his body is a mess

Regardless I agree with the carpet bombing idea...Always have.

Another point of the mock...This years draft is filled with gems...Also filled with shit.

The Steelers need to reconfigure the defense...They also need to add skill position players on offense.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:55 pm 

Why did you think you were going to catch shit?
Ben? I could see him leaving after this year. Ben has a lakeside home here in Georgia. He's big into the life of leisure there golf boating etc.

Anyway, looking forward to the draft podcast as always.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:53 pm 

I posted this elsewhere.

If anyone wants to read something that will make you smile a little on the inside

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/the-sack-whisperer-how-an-ex-nfl-player-became-the-phil-jackson-of-pass-rush-gurus/?irgwc=1&clickid=wogT4FVoEyVa1S5SRKVAO2fVUkhygxypRxm6xY0

If Bud is a major bust I won't be pissed he is doing everything he can to improve at his craft

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:58 am 

I haven't written Dupree off and really haven't been given a reason to. He's been injured and has taken time to develop. If they had a better option than a 38 year old Deebo on the other side I think Dupree looks a lot better. We'll see what happens come draft time. Crossing my fingers they take a pass rusher that qualifies to be Dupree's counterpart. ;)