It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Taking a Peek at Our Roster and a Mock
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:06 am 

I first want to take a look at the roster before I dive into a mock draft and how I feel going into the draft.

QB
There really is much to say here. Big Ben is the franchise, Landry Jones didn't totally suck during Patriots game and played well enough for the Steelers to win some games last season. Zach Mettenberger has started games for the Titans in the past, so the Steelers actually have some guys with experience behind them. While the Steelers should pursue an option in free agency, I do not think the crop of draft prospects yields anyone with significant potential other than the top passers.

RB
We arguably have the best RB in the game in LeVeon Bell. DeAngelo Williams has been a good starter and depth piece for Bell, even though he has been injured recently. He starting to get longer in the tooth day by day which worries me a little bit. Touissant is just an average back with average skills, lunch pail type of guy. The guy who really intrigues me is Karlos Williams, but he just got hit with a ten game suspension. If the Steelers somehow get mathmatically eliminated from the playoffs(which I don't think is going to happen), the Steelers should activate him to get a few of his games out of the way. He has a ton of talent and looked really good as a rookie for Buffalo. This looks to be a really talented group of runners in this draft class, so if the Steelers want to find a capable backup for Bell in the draft they can definitely do so. Nix is a solid FB who does a really good job on special teams too.

WR
Brown simply is one of the best in the game. This is were the situation gets murky, very very murky. Eli Rogers seems like a guy who could be an answer for a slot role or decent backup player. Will Sammie Coates even get the demons out of the his head.....I mean hands......well, you get the point. He's got the talent to succeed at the NFL level, so far I'm not sold on him. The only route I feel he really runs well is the "go" because of his deep speed. Cobi Hamilton is just a guy in my opinion, a typical big college WR who doesn't separate at the NFL. Wheaton has been a huge disappointment and shouldn't even be considered an option for next season. The big giant question mark is Martavis Bryant, who looked like he could be a huge difference maker. I would consider a game changer at WR in any round to be honest. This offense needs another playmaker at WR, this offense is simply unstoppable when we have Brown, Bell and Bryant on the field. With Bryant situation still unknown to the Steelers, one more weapon at WR could very well be a priority.

TE
Jesse James I think is continuing to develop into an average NFL TE, while Ladarius Green in recent weeks has shown he can be a playmker for this team. The more time he gets, I feel he's going to be a bigger part of this offense going forward. David Johnson has been a solid blocker and receiver for this team, and he run blocks well on plays where we pull guards and counter plays. Grimble is a big time athlete who is more of a receiver who needs more consistency.

OL/
The starters are pretty well set going forward in Villanueva, Foster, Pouncey, Decatro and Gilbert. We have guys on the team in Hubbard and Finney who have played well in short stints this year. I think Ryan Harris was a big time waste of time and he should be cut in the offseason. He might of cost the Steelers a compensation pick this year, which really pisses me off. Then Jerald Hawkins started to look like a capable guy but then got injured. The Steelers are in a good position here, but if a good linemen presents some value I think they should take him. The best teams in the NFL are built in the trenches, just look at what Dallas is doing this year.

DL/
Heyward and Tuitt are beasts, and Hargrave seems to have started to round the corner and be more consistent player as a rookie starter. Depth seems to an issue if you ask me.....McCullers is just a general big run stuffer who has made some plays. Everytime I start to question Ricardo Mathews he seems to make some plays in the next game that make me reconsider him going forward. Walton I haven't seen enough of to make an impression.

ILB/
Timmons is a free agent, but I'd bet money he gets some type of deal to return. Shazier is going to be here a while and Vince Williams just got an extension to stick around. Then there's a bunch of guys like Steven Johnson, Tyler Mataevich, and LJ Fort who are good special teamers that really shouldn't see much time on the field. This position is pretty well stocked, but if there's a good player sitting in a good spot in terms of value I'd take him.

OLB/
Well, Jarvis Jones fucking sucks. James Harrison should retire, but may not if we don't get #7 this year. Dupree is still a young guy who hopefully starts coming into his own. Moats is just another guy as well. This is a big time priority in the draft and free agency. Chickillo seems like he belongs on this team, maybe another offseason does himself some service to improve his chances again. Feeney is on the practice squad, maybe he can make some noise in another offseason.

CB/
Artie Burns is going to get every opportunity to succeed and he has flashes where he look like we will turn into a good CB. Cockrell drives me crazy at times and then other times he makes some plays. Gay is starting to get long in the tooth, but he's a steady veteran the Steelers love that shit. Justin Gilbert probably won't see the field this year outside of special teams unless an injury occurs. Golson.....can't stay healthy, hasn't really had the chance to prove himself.

SAF/
Mitchell is a big hitter, Robert Golden is just another guy in my humble opinon who is best served as a depth piece and special teamer. Sean Davis gets a pass as he is a rookie. Dangerfield is just a run defender. This is another position where I hope that the Steelers view as a priority.

ST/
Boswell, Berry and Warren are pretty much the guys at this point.

Draft Picks/
1. Takkarist McKinley OLB UCLA
2. Budda Baker FS Washington
3. Artavis Scott WR Clemson
4. Ejuan Price OLB Pittsburgh
4c. Davon Godchaux DT LSU
5. Eddie Vanderdoes DT UCLA
6. Nico Siragusa OG San Diego State
7. Fabian Moreau CB UCLA

Post subject: Re: Taking a Peek at Our Roster and a Mock
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:07 am 

I know people hate to do it, but man, Cam Johnston has been a weapon at P for Ohio State this year.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:48 am 

I don't think much of Artavis Scott. Vanderdoes is an upgrade over McCullers.

Like the top two picks and Price for sure. McKinley is looking more and more like a guy we could target.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:37 am 

I think Davis is a natural FS and that the plan is to use more Feeney as a hybrid type in certain situations. Therefore, I'd lower the priority on a roaming deep safety type and look for a playmaker safety a la Troy.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:02 pm 

stillenigma wrote:

Like the top two picks and Price for sure. McKinley is looking more and more like a guy we could target.

I don't like many receivers this year.....period. He honestly was a guy I just kind of threw in there.

WRs I actually like are: Mike Williams, John Ross, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Corey Davis, Dede Westbrook, Travis Rudolph, Ryan Switzer, Fred Ross, KD Cannon, Josh Reynolds, Greg Ward Jr., Gabe Marks, Mack Hollins, Deangelo Yancey, Bug Howard, Greg Deiter, Austin Carr, Chance Allen, Victor Boldin, Drew Morgan......that's it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:17 pm 

Mike Williams is a freak who not only has all the physical tools and ability, also has the work ethic....

kid rehabbed his ass off last year....

He's going to be a stud at the next level. Number 1 receiver taken.....great kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:07 pm 

We should grab TN QB Josh Dobbs in the 7th Round.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:27 pm 

having Dobbs would raise the average IQ of our QBs by 15 points.....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:34 am 

smithessmokin wrote:
stillenigma wrote:

I don't like many receivers this year.....period. He honestly was a guy I just kind of threw in there.

WRs I actually like are: Mike Williams, John Ross, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Corey Davis, Dede Westbrook, Travis Rudolph, Ryan Switzer, Fred Ross, KD Cannon, Josh Reynolds, Greg Ward Jr., Gabe Marks, Mack Hollins, Deangelo Yancey, Bug Howard, Greg Deiter, Austin Carr, Chance Allen, Victor Boldin, Drew Morgan......that's it.

Corey Davis is the best in the country in my opinion. He is ready day 1 to contribute in the NFL. He'll be a riser during the combine/draft process.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:13 am 

Charles Demarr wrote:
smithessmokin wrote:
stillenigma wrote:

Corey Davis is the best in the country in my opinion. He is ready day 1 to contribute in the NFL. He'll be a riser during the combine/draft process.

I was kind of hoping he'd last to end of round 2 but that seems unlikely. Have seen all kinds of slotting for him, though.