It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ohio St. should be out of the playoff
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:24 pm 

Nick79 wrote:
I'll never be interested until all Power 5 champs get an automatic bid.

I'd suggest the 5 champions and 3 wild cards. 8 team tournament.

Myself, I'd always prefer to see teams make a tournament by WINNING GAMES ON THE FIELD, rather than be the opinion based, subjective "best teams''.

So have 5 CHAMPIONS, that EARNED their spot by WINNING GAMES ON THE FIELD and 3 LOSERS, that are JUDGED "best" BY OPINION, who get a corporate welfare bid and 2nd chance after FAILING.

Pretty sure everybody in the playoff won a few big games.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:46 am 

College football, to me, is like Lucy with the football. They reel me in, get me interested, have compelling games.....then retreat into a room with Condoleeza Rice and 11 dudes to "discuss" who should play for the national championship.

Meanwhile, commentators like the twin douchebags, Mike & Mike, yammer on about how this could have been different had Penn State lost to Michigan by 7, beat Wisconsin by 30.

Style points matter...and THAT is the bullshit of college football.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:35 am 

Ice wrote:
Nick79 wrote:
I'll never be interested until all Power 5 champs get an automatic bid.

I'd suggest the 5 champions and 3 wild cards. 8 team tournament.

Myself, I'd always prefer to see teams make a tournament by WINNING GAMES ON THE FIELD, rather than be the opinion based, subjective "best teams''.

So have 5 CHAMPIONS, that EARNED their spot by WINNING GAMES ON THE FIELD and 3 LOSERS, that are JUDGED "best" BY OPINION, who get a corporate welfare bid and 2nd chance after FAILING.

Pretty sure everybody in the playoff won a few big games.

But I want it PREDETERMINED, to know exactly which games send you into the playoff if you win them, like conference championships. Then everyone knows their path in advance and it's totally objective.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:05 pm 

I kind of like that the outcome isn't predetermined.

The thing is, you're evaluating a bunch of 18-22 year old kids, for the most part. They can quite literally grow up and change as a season goes on. They play in different conferences, in different parts of the country, and even if they're playing common opponents, they're playing them at different times in their own respective seasons. It just really isn't possible to take subjective evaluation out of the equation.

If you can't handle that, may I humbly suggest that you stick to professional football.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:09 am 

College football in its current form is just awesome

regular season matters, non conference opponents matter, even what are essentially exhibition games at seasons end matters. Conference championship does matter, but not the sole determination for getting a shot at Natty. I'm totally satisfied with the results. If Florida had pulled the upset against Bama, you really want to see them in??

Big Ten has been resurrected. SEC vulnerable. ACC getting better each year. No one knows anything about any west coast teams but they seem to pass a lot. Only thing missing right now is Texas and hopefully they right that ship soon.

Lane Kiffen to Florida Atlantic????? Wow he must have some serious skeletons for that to be happening.....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:18 am 

Aside from being a smug, entitled, general douchebag (not necessarily a bar to success; see Harbaugh, Jim), Lane Kiffin is also a walking NCAA violation. I was extremely surprised to hear his name batted about for big-time jobs when it was, and completely unsurprised that that was the level of coaching job he got. Look at his tenure at USC and (even worse) Tennessee. He's awful, and leaves programs considerably worse than they were when he found them.

I agree about college football, by the way. Along with Penguins hockey, NCAAF is my current favorite sport, with the Steelers a medium-distance 3rd, and the rest of the NFL somewhere behind Formula One racing.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:00 am 

Ice wrote:

The thing is, you're evaluating a bunch of 18-22 year old kids, for the most part. They can quite literally grow up and change as a season goes on. They play in different conferences, in different parts of the country, and even if they're playing common opponents, they're playing them at different times in their own respective seasons. It just really isn't possible to take subjective evaluation out of the equation.

If you can't handle that, may I humbly suggest that you stick to professional football.

I pretty much do not watch the beauty contest playoffs of CFB, I want college football to change to a logical system like all the NORMAL SPORTS have so that I can be interested in it. I like the way the division and conference winners qualify in the NORMAL SPORTS, even if they aren't the BEST TEAMS, put's pressure on the best teams to win their leagues.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:01 am 

superk wrote:
If Florida had pulled the upset against Bama, you really want to see them in??

Yes, I don't care who the best teams are, I want advancement determined by winning certain games, like in the normal sports.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:39 am 

Nick79 wrote:
Ice wrote:

I pretty much do not watch the beauty contest playoffs of CFB, I want college football to change to a logical system like all the NORMAL SPORTS have so that I can be interested in it. I like the way the division and conference winners qualify in the NORMAL SPORTS, even if they aren't the BEST TEAMS, put's pressure on the best teams to win their leagues.

I think it's nice that not all sports fit the same cookie-cutter mold, first off. Second off, like I said, there's subjectivity built into CFB. There has to be. It isn't a 30-32 team league, like all other "normal sports," with normative mechanisms like scheduling difficulty inverse to previous season's record and common drafts to insure a nice, orderly pecking order. Some years, some conferences are up, some years, other conferences are down; some years, one team's nonconference strength of schedule just doesn't measure up (whether it's through any fault of their own, or just the natural variance teams go through), some years the bad loss happens at the right time, and sometimes, it just doesn't always make perfect, empirical sense. If you can't embrace a little chaos, like I said, perhaps this just isn't the sport for you.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:05 am 

Nick, do you watch/play golf?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next