It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: And Another Mock
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:39 pm 

Parameters:
1. Steelers earn a 4th round compensation pick for Emmanuel Sanders.
2. Steelers resign the following free agents: LB Jason Worilds, TE Matt Spaeth, CB Brice McCain, LS Greg Warren, LB Arthur Moats, and TE Michael Palmer.
3. Steelers tender the following free agents: SAF Robert Golden, FB Will Johnson, LB Terrence Garvin, P Brad Wing, OG Chris Hubbard, and WR Justin Brown.
4. Steelers select 20th. Steelers trade down to acquire late 1st Round and 2nd Round picks(Arizona trades up to select Connor Cook).

Selections:
1. FS Gerrod Holliman, Louisville
Exactly what the Steelers need. Playmaker for a much maligned secondary.

2. LT Spencer Drango, Baylor
Favorite prospect at tackle in this class. Extremely smart and intelligent. Do it all guy with great size and athleticism for the position.

2. CB Kevin Johnson, Wake Forest
Not the fastest, but he's a fluid athlete who can stick with receivers. Breaks up a ton of contested battles for the ball.

3. OL Cameron Irving, Florida State
Big linemen who got exposed as a LT this year. Has played well on the interior for the Seminoles. See him as utility linemen with the chops to battle Ramon Foster for a starting gig.

3. RB Jay Ajayi, Boise State
Talented runner for a team that needs a good backup for the Bell cow(see what I did there?).

4. WR Tony Lippett, Michigan State
Big receiver who runs great routes. Adequate speed and has really stepped up his game this season for the one loss Spartans.

4c. OLB Owamagbe Odighizuwa, UCLA
I've been all over this guy from the get go. While he doesn't have elite athleticism for the position, he sets the edge very well, can get after the QB, and just causes havoc near the line. I see him as guy who can give us what LaMarr Woodley gave us.

5. TE C.J. Uzomah, Auburn
Big athletic kid who can block and catch. Need someone who we can try to groom as a replacement for Heath.

6. P Mike Sadler, Michigan State
Best punter in college football, Steelers could be lethal of they could pin opponents deep.

7. DE Olsen Pierre, Miami(FL)
He's an athletic guy with the size to develop.

Post subject: Re: And Another Mock
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:05 pm 

Holliman would honestly make this draft for me.

Drango, maybe, Irving, no thanks. I understand the need for LT, but 2nd-4th round seems like kinda no man's land for the position. Love Odie from UCLA, but adding Mauldin in the 2nd would be a double upgrade at the position. In a 34, you just can't have enough.

I'm thinking if the team was high enough on Harris to go into a playoff fight with him as the sole real backup option, they're not going to invest a top 100 pick in another guy unless he falls flat on his face.

I'd like to see CB addressed with one of those top 100 picks, too, (gotta have a look at the kid from Wake) so that leaves a 3rd for the best TE available, which, unless addressed seriously in FA, becomes at least almost a top 100 need, given Miller's age. The Auburn kid in the 5th is nice, seen him a few games casually, but I wonder if in this draft, anybody with talent won't rise a round, at least.

Lippett would be kind of a meh pick for me, but one more depth WR couldn't hurt, I guess. He has always struck me as JAG, and I've seen a lot of the guy. Would almost rather dive into CB again (small-school, athletic, developmental type) or LG with that 4th.

Some might give you shit for drafting the punter. I won't, anymore. It's a massive need, has been for years, and hasn't been anywhere near adequately addressed with pro personnel. That, and that punter has saved MSU's bacon more than once, and actually been a game MVP for them a few times I've seen him play (IMHO).

Some really good picks here.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:38 pm 

Too fit what you'd like Ice:

1. FS Gerrod Holliman, Louisville
2. OLB Nate Orchard, Utah
2. CB Kevin Johnson, Wake Forest
3. CB Eric Rowe, Utah
4. OLB Owamagbe, Odighizuwa
4c. DE Anthony Chickillo, Miami(FL)
5. RB David Johnson, Northern Illinois
6. P Mike Sadler, Michigan State
7. TE Randall Telfer, USC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:15 am 

Like Orchard, Rowe and Chickillo a lot (hope he has an awful game against Pitt today, though). Great draft, Smith.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:30 pm 

Is Kevin Johnson likely to make it to the bottom part of the second round? I've seen him talked about as more or less a lock to be a top 40-ish pick.