It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Who are your top 10 in the playoff race?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:28 am 

I had a funny feeling Oregon was going to lose that game to complicate shit

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:14 am 

59-0, Gordon looks like Tevin Coleman's little sister, the number 2 defense in the country shredded in every way imaginable, Bosa, Bennett and Washington nearly unblockable, adding some good back seven play, and, of course, the 3rd string quarterback wins the MVP. Pretty strong statement.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:30 am 

Ohio State is one of the top four teams in college football.

Nothing else needs to be said.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:09 am 

OSU is going to make the discussion interesting. Hard to leave them out after that performance. Unless you allowed TCU to jump to #3 last week with only Iowa St. left so you left yourself an out

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:37 am 

Iron_City wrote:
OSU is going to make the discussion interesting. Hard to leave them out after that performance. Unless you allowed TCU to jump to #3 last week with only Iowa St. left so you left yourself an out

That win over 2-10 Iowa St will have a lot of weight.

It might come down to what they think is the better conference. OSU looked really good last night. Only conference championship shutout ever.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:21 am 

jebrick wrote:
Iron_City wrote:

That win over 2-10 Iowa St will have a lot of weight.

It might come down to what they think is the better conference. OSU looked really good last night. Only conference championship shutout ever.

Against the best running back in the country, with their 3rd string QB, making his first ever start. Insane result.

The current playoff system has pretty much been busted in its first season of existence. There's no way they can do justice to everyone involved with just four teams. Which we all pretty much knew going in. Perch proposed an interesting six team format in another thread, and the 8 team format has some merit, and some high profile support, as well. No matter what the announcement on Tuesday, it's going to be unfair to someone, and the NCAA can go back to the drawing board and get it (somewhat more) right in the offseason. Best result you can hope for at this point, if you're a college football fan.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:09 am 

I do have to say that the Big 12 commissioner not picking a champ is pure crap. I hope the committee ignores their conference ( basically giving their lack of a single champion no weight).

The eight team playoff is the only one that makes sense because any of the "power conferences" that are left out will bitch up a storm.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:51 am 

I feel like once the NCAA sees the insane amount of money all the semifinal games will generate, they will be jumping at the chance to have quarterfinal rounds. In terms of ratings, the NCAA Football Tournament is going to be ridiculous.

But yeah, I don't envy the committee, they sure are in a pickle.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:04 pm 

Yeah, I'm down at the shore, so I didn't see the Bryles rant, etc. The network guys were referring to the situation as "the mess in Texas." It's idiotic that they don't have a championship game, and their league deserves to get smacked for it.

As for the playoff going forward, any solution will have to be non-exclusive of any of the power 5. They, not the NCAA, are running the show, now.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:48 pm 

HERE WE GO BABY! BRING ON ALABAMA!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:49 pm 

Steelcody36 wrote:

Hell yeah. Deserved. The wording of a lot of what I saw basically tells the Big 12 to get their asses in line and get a championship game. Looking forward to the games.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:26 pm 

Ice wrote:
Steelcody36 wrote:

Hell yeah. Deserved. The wording of a lot of what I saw basically tells the Big 12 to get their asses in line and get a championship game. Looking forward to the games.

Totally agree. Big 12 fucked themselves. OSU played their way in

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:57 pm 

Glad to see OSU get in. Kind of rooting for Oregon to finally take it this year.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:41 pm 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
Glad to see OSU get in. Kind of rooting for Oregon to finally take it this year.

Have honestly been wishing for a tOSU vs Oregon matchup all year. Those two offenses on the same field would be something to see.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:09 am 

I don't see the problem with hacking off a game during the regular season and making it a three-week, 8-team playoff.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:13 am 

Hacksaw Jim Duggan wrote:
I don't see the problem with hacking off a game during the regular season and making it a three-week, 8-team playoff.

Would more likely involve starting the season a week sooner, but yeah, if that's what it takes, I'm for it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:20 am 

I think the 100 teams that don't make the playoff would have a problem with it. I'd say why not just start the playoffs a week earlier. Dec 27th.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:32 pm 

R S wrote:

I think the 100 teams that don't make the playoff would have a problem with it. I'd say why not just start the playoffs a week earlier. Dec 27th.

IMO, the bowl games (now playoffs too) are played way too late anyway. By the time the games roll around, teams haven't played an actual game in over a month. People wonder why some of the games are ugly.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:14 pm 

Particularly funny when you consider that The Committee spent so much time trying to figure out who was "the hottest team right now."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:32 am 

I imagine injuries are a concern with adding another game to the college schedule (by my calculations only the two best teams would be playing an extra game) with an 8 team playoff format, but as people here have pointed out, that month off between games makes things sloppy sometimes. Also, from an injury front, I imagine jumping into game speed after a month without one would maybe add to the injury risk.

The added game is a stupid thing anyway....usually the top teams in college have a ton of NFL talent..those same players are going to be playing in AT LEAST 20 games a season in the NFL (Preseason + regular + possible playoffs).

Keep the same number of regular season games, just start the bowl season a week earlier....and hell....you can add a few bowls then...more profit...everyone is happy.

I'm not sure how many conferences there are, but why not just have the conference winners go against each other in a playoff? That would add even more emphasis on the conference championship games...best teams from each conference play for the right to get into the playoffs in their respective championships. Then you rank the conference winners and seed them accordingly

edit: there are 10 conferences looks like...so just rank the 10 conference winners and the top 8 make it. The independents? Tell them to get with the program and choose a conference or fuck themselves and never win a national title. That's more interesting to me than the top 4 teams that could be the best four making it.

It really gives an added advantage to the #1 ranked team, who would play the "cream puff" of the 8 ranked conference winning teams in the first round.

1.Oregon vs 8. Memphis
2. Alabama vs. 7. Marshall
3.Florida State vs. 6. Boise State
4. Ohio State vs. 5. Baylor

5 of those teams are ranked in the top 5 as it is anyway...

This looks like the NFL seeding more than anything else with the divisions...which has its flaws...but again...better than 4 arbitrary teams.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:22 am 

The TCU people would still be bitching, Hack. I'm not sure that you don't just throw the remaining berths to the three best "at large" teams, if you're going with the 8 team format. No way would I rather see Marshall, Memphis or Boise in ahead of TCU this season, for instance. Aside from the fact that it includes the Big 12, I don't see how that 8 team format is any better than the 4 team current structure, at least when it comes to generating an actual National Champion.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:15 pm 

I heard an interview with the President on the College playoffs and he said they will go to eight teams in the future because of the money and the PR . The interviewer was stunned that he would suggest it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:49 pm 

jebrick wrote:
I heard an interview with the President on the College playoffs and he said they will go to eight teams in the future because of the money and the PR . The interviewer was stunned that he would suggest it.

Pretty sure at least one league comish has put it on the record, and it wasn't the Big 12, so there's two at least in favor of the format. I can't argue. It probably makes the most sense of any alternative. If you scheduled the "first round" during the first part of Bowl Week, pre-New Year's, it would probably give a bump to some of the minor bowl games running around the same time, just because of the increased chatter.