It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 10 reasons college football is better than NFL
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:30 pm 

Way to make the lower college bowls count for something---have a relegation system. The lowest team in each conference has to beat a winner in a mid major conference to retain its position. This is a lot better than 7-5 teams compete in Yuma, Arizona in the El Pollo Loco Toilet Bowl.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:37 am 

SB Nation wrote an article on this idea. I like it:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... -2013-2014

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:16 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
*Mythical national championship decided by fuckers that never saw some of the teams play filling out a ballot combined with a computer program.

This is why FAKE ASS college football sucks, and is garbage, there hasn't been a legit championship won on the field in the history of the sport! It's as real as figure skating or gymnastics where while the athletes perform, the winner is decided by some judge voting.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:20 pm 

The only legit playoff that would make it REAL and not fake would at the very least be a 6 team tournament where it is mandated that each of the Power 5 Conferences championship teams must be included. Other than that it's FAKE.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:24 pm 

I have said for years that college football is an absolute farce along with the NCAA.

The NFL has blood on their hands - using the NCAA as a minor league/ developmental league at no cost - which has caused cheating and chaos at the college level when those people should be concentrating on teaching instead of athletics - total bullshit.

The NFL should have a minor league system.

There should also be no athletic scholarships. If colleges still want to have football - those will be true student athletes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:30 pm 

Suwanee88 wrote:

There should also be no athletic scholarships. If colleges still want to have football - those will be true student athletes.

I always thought that would be interesting, if the college football teams where just whatever regular students just showed up for a tryout before the season. But it's too idealistic. I think it would be a truer test of Pittsburgh vs. Ohio if that was the case and Pitt played Ohio State with teams of regular students. But fans wouldn't like it so much because the quality of play would be like D3. But I think I'd enjoy more, but NEVER HAPPEN.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:36 pm 

I agree with the idea that the process of determining the "national championship" is corrupt.

God takes care of old folks and fools, while the devil takes care of those making the rules. It might feel good, it might sound a little something, but damn the game if it don't mean nothin. And the fact is, in that supposed "national championship" game there are dozens of players sellin out everything and leaving it all on the field for the simple love of winning, if not for the actual championship, no paycheck required.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:39 pm 

Suwanee88 wrote:
I have said for years that college football is an absolute farce along with the NCAA.

The NFL has blood on their hands - using the NCAA as a minor league/ developmental league at no cost - which has caused cheating and chaos at the college level when those people should be concentrating on teaching instead of athletics - total bullshit.

The NFL should have a minor league system.

The NCAA was only an adviser to the BCS, but a BCS trophy was given out, not the NCAA trophy.

Below shows the NCAA D-1 football National Champions per their official D-1 record book:
1978 Florida A&M
1979 Eastern Ky.
1980 Boise St.
1981 Idaho St.
1982 Eastern Ky.
1983 Southern Ill.
1984 Montana St.
1985 Ga. Southern
1986 Ga. Southern
1987 La.-Monroe
1988 Furman
1989 Ga. Southern
1990 Ga. Southern
1991 Youngstown St.
1992 Marshall
1993 Youngstown St.
1994 Youngstown St.
1995 Montana
1996 Marshall
1997 Youngstown St.
1998 Massachusetts
1999 Ga. Southern
2000 Ga. Southern
2001 Montana
2002 Western Ky.
2003 Delaware
2004 James Madison
2005 Appalachian St.
2006 Appalachian St.
2007 Appalachian St.
2008 Richmond
2009 Villanova
2010 Eastern Wash.
2011 North Dakota St.
2012 North Dakota St.
2013 North Dakota St.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:46 pm 

College football doesn't need relegation or doing away with the bowl names.

And fuck the national championship hoopla

There are hundreds of teams and thousands of kids who won't play in the pros.

It was fine the way it was with rankings and bowl games for all the teams.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:24 pm 

Nick79 wrote:
Suwanee88 wrote:

I always thought that would be interesting, if the college football teams where just whatever regular students just showed up for a tryout before the season. But it's too idealistic. I think it would be a truer test of Pittsburgh vs. Ohio if that was the case and Pitt played Ohio State with teams of regular students. But fans wouldn't like it so much because the quality of play would be like D3. But I think I'd enjoy more, but NEVER HAPPEN.

Agree it will never happen BUT disagree about the quality.

If there is an NFL minor league - all of the top tier talent coming out of highschool will go to the minors. All of the college teams will have student athletes across the board - that makes the quality of play the same across all teams - it would only look bad if student athletes play top tier talent if that makes sense.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:33 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
As a Penn State fan, I well remember Joe Paterno putting his reserves in while up three scored in the 4Q vs. Indiana in '95, giving up two late TDs....and dropping in the mother-fuckin' voting. Cost an undefeated Penn State team, loaded with talent, a shot at the mythical national championship that year.

Fuck the NCAA and their method of voting for the best team.

Not exactly the case. There is an element of voting for which teams play for the national championship, now 4 instead of 2, which is a step in the right direction. But by and large the teams selected are generally the teams considered to be the best by most people. Since they only play once a week, a huge tournament like March Madness is next to impossible.

The NFL system is better, but has its flaws as well. The way things currently stand, the Falcons, at 4-6 would make the playoffs.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:54 pm 

SteelerFan1 wrote:
The way things currently stand, the Falcons, at 4-6 would make the playoffs.

That's what I like about it! Define groups, send a champ from each group! Getting THE BEST TEAMS doesn't matter, because being the SUBJECTIVE BEST TEAM doesn't have anything to do with being a champion.

Where the 18-1 Patriots the subjective "best team"? Probably. Where they Champion? No!

Where the 6th Seed 2005 Steelers the subjective "best team"? No Way. Where they Champion? YES!

Does the best team win the championship in March Madness every year? NO! Does it matter? NO!

If you want to have the team SUBJECTIVELY CONSIDERED the consensus "best team" based on OPINION to be the champ every year, then there is no need for playoffs, just go back to the voting system they had before BCS.

The only reason they want a playoff or championship game is to make money on anyways.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:56 pm 

Suwanee88 wrote:
Nick79 wrote:
Suwanee88 wrote:

Agree it will never happen BUT disagree about the quality.

If there is an NFL minor league - all of the top tier talent coming out of highschool will go to the minors. All of the college teams will have student athletes across the board - that makes the quality of play the same across all teams - it would only look bad if student athletes play top tier talent if that makes sense.

You gotta figure too that academics would be the priority and they'd prepare and practice like D3 or a club team.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:18 pm 
Nick79 wrote:
SteelerFan1 wrote:

That's what I like about it! Define groups, send a champ from each group! Getting THE BEST TEAMS doesn't matter, because being the SUBJECTIVE BEST TEAM doesn't have anything to do with being a champion.

Where the 18-1 Patriots the subjective "best team"? Probably. Where they Champion? No!

Where the 6th Seed 2005 Steelers the subjective "best team"? No Way. Where they Champion? YES!

Does the best team win the championship in March Madness every year? NO! Does it matter? NO!

If you want to have the team SUBJECTIVELY CONSIDERED the consensus "best team" based on OPINION to be the champ every year, then there is no need for playoffs, just go back to the voting system they had before BCS.

The only reason they want a playoff or championship game is to make money on anyways.

You should use more caps.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:13 am 

Crosby4Life wrote:
Nick79 wrote:
SteelerFan1 wrote:

You should use more caps.

My you should try it sometimes, you seem to lack any sense of fun in your life, you always seemed pissed off at somebody when there's no reason to be.