It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Baylor isn't a top 10 team.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:16 pm 

They should have lost last week, and WVU is giving them all they can handle today.

No team that bad defensively should be in the playoffs.

Post subject: Re: Baylor isn't a top 10 team.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:19 am 

Steelcody36 wrote:

Unless they win all their games, or beat big time teams, even if it's 63-60.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:46 pm 

Nick79 wrote:
Steelcody36 wrote:

Unless they win all their games, or beat big time teams, even if it's 63-60.

WVU ended up beating em down as an un-ranked team, yet they still hover around the top 10.

That's okay, they will lose at least one more game.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:09 pm 

The sad thing is that so-so teams like Notre Dame and Ohio State are going to remain relevant because all of the horses in the SEC West are going to knock each other off. Playoff should be PAC winner, Florida State, and the top 2 SEC teams.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:47 pm 

SP wrote:
The sad thing is that so-so teams like Notre Dame and Ohio State are going to remain relevant because all of the horses in the SEC West are going to knock each other off. Playoff should be PAC winner, Florida State, and the top 2 SEC teams.

OSU got screwed and placed at 16. Florida State has the weakest schedule of anyone in the top 20, so they will ease right into the playoffs. Alabama could easily have 3 losses, winning by 1 over a bad team and getting several calls against WVU. The PAC 12 isn't that good at all. Neither is the Big 10, but OSU and MSU could compete in any conference.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:20 pm 

I think tOSU has a great playoff shot. Next year. This is coming from one of the bigger Buckeye homers on this site. They could get hot, beat MSU twice and get in, but the odds are against it. Next year, that team will be loaded for bear with talent and experience.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:18 pm 

Ice wrote:
I think tOSU has a great playoff shot. Next year. This is coming from one of the bigger Buckeye homers on this site. They could get hot, beat MSU twice and get in, but the odds are against it. Next year, that team will be loaded for bear with talent and experience.

Miller went down really close to the season, which doomed OSU. I knew they would drop AT LEAST one game early when JT was thrust into the starting spot before he was prepared to do so. He sprained his MCL against Penn State, btw. Played with it the whole 2nd half.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:36 pm 

Steelcody36 wrote:
Ice wrote:

Miller went down really close to the season, which doomed OSU. I knew they would drop AT LEAST one game early when JT was thrust into the starting spot before he was prepared to do so. He sprained his MCL against Penn State, btw. Played with it the whole 2nd half.

Was at that game. He really gutted that one out, and PSU was playing like we were their Super Bowl. I just think that it's not our year this year. It's the secondary that scares me. The talent is there, the experience is not, and it shows when the opponents get as many deep passes as they do. McMillan will be a year older and even better at LB, too. My bet is Bosa returns. That's the makings of a championship level defense. The offense will be fine, I think, and if anything, the line and running game will be better.

Despite my occasional trash talk about Lions fans, btw, in two Penn State/Ohio State tilts (previous one was the Ryan Shazier pick six against McGloin game) at Happy Valley, I have had a great time. A couple of the best away game Buckeye experiences I've had.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:16 pm 

Steelcody36 wrote:
OSU got screwed and placed at 16. Florida State has the weakest schedule of anyone in the top 20, so they will ease right into the playoffs. Alabama could easily have 3 losses, winning by 1 over a bad team and getting several calls against WVU. The PAC 12 isn't that good at all. Neither is the Big 10, but OSU and MSU could compete in any conference.

Florida State's schedule is the weakest in the top 20??? They played Notre Dame, OK State, Clemson, and have Louisville this weekend. Every one of those teams is tougher than anyone Ohio State faces all year aside from Michigan State. Honestly 16 is about right for Ohio State. They haven't played anyone ranked all season. It took a bad call in their favor in order to beat an awful Penn State team in overtime. They got housed at home by a very bad Va Tech team. They play one team the entire season ranked in the Top 25 and they'll probably lose.

Alabama controls their own destiny. They beat good WVU and Texas A&M teams and lost on the road vs a Top 5 team in Ole Miss. They still have to play LSU, Miss. St, Auburn, and then if they win all of those they'll likely get Georgia in the SEC Title game. All of that before having to play two more games to win a National Title. That's big boy football.

Mississippi State still has Bama and Ole Miss on the schedule. Auburn has Bama, Ole Miss, and Georgia. All of that before one of those teams has to play an SEC Title game! Like I said, all of the SEC teams are going to knock each other off. I'd take a 2 loss SEC team over a 1 loss BIG 10 team any day of the week. 4 of the top 6 teams in the country are in the SEC West. Of course these teams are going to have some losses. They play an NFL type schedule. Two of them deserve to make the playoff.

Oregon has already beat 3 good teams and they have Stanford coming up next. If they win out I'd put them in as well. Like I said, FSU, Pac 12 winner, and 2 best SEC teams. When the Big 12 learns to plays some defense or the BIG 10 gets BCS caliber teams, then we'll discuss them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:32 pm 

Michigan State has a very good team this year. I think they're close to BCS caliber. I also think that they have a chance to sneak into a playoff slot. They would end up beating out an SEC team that loses one too many games, despite talent. Free Shoe U has just looked very beatable at many times this season, but they keep on winning. If they stay undefeated, they're in. I agree on the Big 12. Nobody's coming out of that conference. If MSU runs the table, it's very likely a coin flip if they make it in by default over the PAC 10 champ or not, simply because if the brand new "fair" playoff system puts three SEC teams in, in its first year of existence, the fans and media will cry foul. Not fair to the SEC, but it's the reality of the situation.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:07 pm 

Big win for OSU. They are much better and more experienced than when they lost the VT game.

I'm hoping they can win out, including the Big 10 championship, which will most likely be against a ranked Nebraska team. If that happens, they will finish ranked 5th or 6th, IMO.

Unfortunately I don't think they can sneak into the top 4.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:02 pm 

Steelcody36 wrote:
Big win for OSU. They are much better and more experienced than when they lost the VT game.

I'm hoping they can win out, including the Big 10 championship, which will most likely be against a ranked Nebraska team. If that happens, they will finish ranked 5th or 6th, IMO.

Agree Cody, they would need a rash of upsets, and a miracle to sneak in. They are playing great offense right now, as good as anyone, but that horrid VT loss at home will haunt them. Add in the weak schedule, something they MUST fix going forward, and they are likely on the outside this season.
But, this is a young team...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:06 pm 

Steelcody36 wrote:

"The Committee" bumped Minny up to 25 this week, giving tOSU another ranked opponent on the resume. I think they like what they see, and there's been a lot of talk about disregarding record in favor of "the eye test." That said, I agree that even if they win out, I see them ranked torturously 5th.

The Big Ten as a conference needs to start shelling out big bucks to get and retain premium coaches, head and assistant. The pay disparity between their coaches and those of most other power conferences is alarming.

Michigan shouldn't have to settle for Brady Joke. They should roll the damn Brinks truck down to Baton Rouge and get the guy they really want. Penn State shouldn't have to employ the former head coach of Vanderbilt to replace arguably one of the best college football coaches of all time. If you liked O'Brien, pay what it takes to keep him, or go get another name worthy of that program.

Stop paying assistants hundreds of thousands less than other conferences do, while you're at it. Being big time costs. Sorry, Big Ten fan rant over.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:40 am 

OSU plays a cupcake schedule compared to the SEC west. It is not Notre Dame cupcake but still the Big Ten is not doing any favors to Ohio State. I would not put them in the top 4. I would not put TCU in there either.

It would help the Big ten get better players if they could move to the south where it is warm ;)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:04 am 

I assume the warm weather thing is a joke, as it's been proven a non factor for the most part. The pay disparity in coaching is ridiculous.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:30 pm 

Ice wrote:
Steelcody36 wrote:

"The Committee" bumped Minny up to 25 this week, giving tOSU another ranked opponent on the resume. I think they like what they see, and there's been a lot of talk about disregarding record in favor of "the eye test." That said, I agree that even if they win out, I see them ranked torturously 5th.

The Big Ten as a conference needs to start shelling out big bucks to get and retain premium coaches, head and assistant. The pay disparity between their coaches and those of most other power conferences is alarming.

Michigan shouldn't have to settle for Brady Joke. They should roll the damn Brinks truck down to Baton Rouge and get the guy they really want. Penn State shouldn't have to employ the former head coach of Vanderbilt to replace arguably one of the best college football coaches of all time. If you liked O'Brien, pay what it takes to keep him, or go get another name worthy of that program.

Stop paying assistants hundreds of thousands less than other conferences do, while you're at it. Being big time costs. Sorry, Big Ten fan rant over.

Big 10 ought to relocate a few schools to the south where all the real talent is.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:32 pm 

Or hire coaches that can go down and recruit with the SEC big boys.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:50 pm 

Ohio State has plenty of talent. MSU has plenty of talent.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:01 pm 

Steelcody36 wrote:

The problem is, we need Michigan to be good, Penn State to be good, Nebraska and Wisconsin and a couple of other teams, as well. It's nice to be favored all the time, but without a few more strong, ranked teams in conference, we're pretty much Boise State with a (much) less lame field.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:34 am 

Ice wrote:
Steelcody36 wrote:

The problem is, we need Michigan to be good, Penn State to be good, Nebraska and Wisconsin and a couple of other teams, as well. It's nice to be favored all the time, but without a few more strong, ranked teams in conference, we're pretty much Boise State with a (much) less lame field.

I agree, but unfortunately I don't see Michigan being decent for a few more years.

Wisconsin is tough, and I think Nebraska is solid.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:39 am 

Ice wrote:

You are still recruiting southern boys to play in the snow and cold.

The Big Ten problem goes beyond Assistant coaches.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:07 pm 

jebrick wrote:
Ice wrote:

You are still recruiting southern boys to play in the snow and cold.

The Big Ten problem goes beyond Assistant coaches.

Look down Ohio State's roster. Their skill players, on offense and defense, are overwhelmingly from the south/southwest USA. Now look at Minnesota's roster. Not so much. Why? Because Ohio State went out and hired a coach who knows southern recruiting trails, brought a staff of other folks who know southern recruiting trails, and went and got said Jimmies and Joes. Like I said, "Southern boys don't like to play in the cold" is a gross oversimplification. But if you're cool with that, carry on, MacDuff.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:47 pm 

If you prefer that they like to stay closer to home you can go with that.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:26 pm 

If the program is good, and the coaches are big time at developing and recruiting talent, success will follow. The athletic department has to make a commitment to this, though. Bret Bielema went from winning Big Ten titles regularly at Wisconsin, coaching for his mentor in AD Barry Alvarez, a dream job; to an SEC also ran at Arkansas, largely because he was underpaid and sick of having his assistants poached by other programs because administration wouldn't shell out to keep them. Until a few other Big Ten programs come correct financially with their coaching staffs, this perception will remain.