It is currently Sat May 25, 2019 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Draft Pundit Ranking of QBs, ILBs, & CBs Is Totally Wrong
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:20 pm 

It's consistently off and it's wayyyyy off in some cases in 2019's draft.

QB: everybody wants to look for polish and great technique for a position where the only things that matter are:
1. are you a baller?
2. are you a football player or a QB pansy?
3. do you have enough arm to cash the checks your superior confidence writes?
4. are you capable of and willing to make plays when the game and situation dictate and the safe play isn't there
5. do you make more great plays than bad plays, especially late in the game?

So, analysts pump up the Josh Rosens and Eli Mannings and Jared Goffs of the world, with mixed results at best, while downgrading the Mahomes-Mayfields-Roethlisbergers.

ILB: Draft analysts (and some teams) are obsessed with downhill ILBs: they make all kinds of TFLs, cover aggressively in the flats, blitz well on delayed or disguised pass rushes. The problem is: no one wants to see that the NFL game is very different. NFL QBs and coordinators will scheme you into covering a TE/WR or dropping into a zone and attacking you laterally or over your head. Give me a 3-down LB who can play as well in reverse as he can play downhill... or at least excellent at one and very good at the other. Kuechly/Shazier vs Rashaan Evans/Ray Lewis/Roquan Smith.

CBs: Basically every CB in major college ball is playing cover 3 or cover 4 and bail. It's almost impossible to see a guy play that coverage over and over again and project him to the NFL. Guys are getting pumped up in the draft coverage because of height-weight-straightline speed and maybe long arms. Watching the combine drills today it's like, man-- the rankings are all wrong. Just look at the way guys move, the way they transition, the way they burst, the way they locate the ball. Some are easy movers whose athleticism and confidence shines through and some are freaking lost, man. Is this the best we have coming out? They're going to need a developmental league JUST for CBs, so can learn to play the position. So many Artie Burns in this draft. So many.

Post subject: Re: Draft Pundit Ranking of QBs, ILBs, & CBs Is Totally Wron
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:59 pm 

I think CB is the hardest position to project to the NFL ( for me). I am a big fan of DeAndre Baker and Rock Ya-Sin. Baker becasue of his cover skills and Ya-Sin becasue of his ball skills. Julian Love would be the other one I like.

WR is easier to me as I am looking at route running and short area quickness. They also have to be smart to learn the route trees. I distrust Wr that can only get open becasue of their physical size. Very few of them translate well in the NFL.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:15 pm 

jebrick wrote:
I think CB is the hardest position to project to the NFL ( for me). I am a big fan of DeAndre Baker and Rock Ya-Sin. Baker becasue of his cover skills and Ya-Sin becasue of his ball skills. Julian Love would be the other one I like.

WR is easier to me as I am looking at route running and short area quickness. They also have to be smart to learn the route trees. I distrust Wr that can only get open becasue of their physical size. Very few of them translate well in the NFL.

I think that's a solid take. I'm just blown away by the disparity between rankings and what these CBs look like here and the style of play they have on tape. It's like looking at three different players.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:52 pm 

Get playmakers especially on the defense side.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:23 pm 

I'd toss WRs in there as well. Especially the ones predicted in 1st round. They all have a ton of red flags.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:54 pm 

I think WR are one of the easier to pick.
1) Never pick one in the 1st round.
2) always choose ones that can run good routes. - This sounds like it is an idiotic thing but most WR coming out of college run such simplistic route trees or rely on being able to physically over power over matched opponents in the spread offense. This means that most WR coming out of college run poor routes. 3 come drill is a key to watch for WR.
3) do not pick dumb WR. Remember that route tree. It is really complex in the NFL and changes based on the read of the defense at the LOS.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:44 pm 

jebrick wrote:
I think WR are one of the easier to pick.
1) Never pick one in the 1st round.
2) always choose ones that can run good routes. - This sounds like it is an idiotic thing but most WR coming out of college run such simplistic route trees or rely on being able to physically over power over matched opponents in the spread offense. This means that most WR coming out of college run poor routes. 3 come drill is a key to watch for WR.
3) do not pick dumb WR. Remember that route tree. It is really complex in the NFL and changes based on the read of the defense at the LOS.

Routes are tough. In many college spreads the route tree is simplified to the point Wrs only run 4-5 tops. I don't so much look at how many they run but which ones and how they run them.

For example: DK Metcalf. He can run deep routes but anything else? Not so much.

I'm getting serious Stephen Hill vibes from this lad.

I see a one trick pony. Linear AF. He struggles to move laterally. It almost looks like he is lumbering when he tries to do so.

I watched LSU and Bama games. He made a play v Bama and did a milk carton for rest of game. In LSU game? Greedy Williams made him vanish.

Yes, yes he has physique of a God, runs an electric 40 and benches tall buildings. Yet ...his lateral and short area speed drills? Good god they were bad. I mean as bad as it gets. That showed up in those 2 games I watched.

Haven't even discussed his lousy production and questionable hands. So how the fuck is he being discussed as a top ten pick? Or even a 1st rounder? Bryant had a better last year in college.

Toss in his injury history? I simply do not get the hype at all. Maybe someone can explain it to me with more knowledge (everyone on this board).