It is currently Tue May 21, 2019 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Combine
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:07 am 

Quote:
Mack Wilson, LB, Alabama: The former Alabama star remains one of the draft's biggest enigmas. Wilson is dealing with a sore hamstring and didn't fully participate in athletic testing or positional drills. Although a number of prospects decline to work out on the big stage, Wilson's partial participation coincides with some buzz about shaky interviews with teams that's led to concerns about his potential and value. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... weat-soars
I was wondering what happened to Wilson. If true this could be devastating for his draft stock.

Quote:
Byron Murphy Had Formal Combine Meeting With Steelers https://twitter.com/Steel_Curtain4/stat ... 6788399104

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:44 am 

for Wilson they have a 32" HJ and 9,9" BJ which really sucks. Wait for Pro day but i see him falling a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:49 am 

So, what you're saying is, sprint to the podium for Jachai Polite in round one, and sprint to the podium for Mack Wilson in round two?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:21 pm 

Didn't get to watch DBs today, I will try and catch up tonight.

Looks like Greedy ran really well, no chance he falls to 20. Murphy and Baker were both in the 4.5's

Adderly didn't run?

Anyone get to watch? Who stood out?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:26 pm 

Charles Demarr wrote:

Looks like Greedy ran really well, no chance he falls to 20. Murphy and Baker were both in the 4.5's

Adderly didn't run?

Greedy was TER-RI-ble in everything televised besides the 40. In fact, it was so bad that he bowed out, claiming injury.

He might not even go in round 1. If he's the best CB in this draft, I'll eat this post.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:28 pm 

The bottom line on DBs today: very few looked great in drills. The safety class looks better than the CB class. The CBs who have great ball skills or are aggressive tacklers/run support guys can't run fast/are awkward in drills. The guys who can run have no ball skills or are opposed to contact/aggressive play. Of the guys who worked out today that project as CBs... about 5 are draftable for me as something better than a project.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:33 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Charles Demarr wrote:

Adderly didn't run?

Greedy was TER-RI-ble in everything televised besides the 40. In fact, it was so bad that he bowed out, claiming injury.

He might not even go in round 1. If he's the best CB in this draft, I'll eat this post.

It went really poorly for Williams. Leaves you basically thinking this team should avoid going CB early.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:44 pm 

Ice wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Charles Demarr wrote:

Adderly didn't run?

It went really poorly for Williams. Leaves you basically thinking this team should avoid going CB early.

Thanks guys, I'll watch tonight. I'm a fan of signing a corner or 2 in FA. This team cannot draft corners.

What about Chauncey Gardner Johnson? How did he look?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:02 pm 

Ice wrote:
So, what you're saying is, sprint to the podium for Jachai Polite in round one, and sprint to the podium for Mack Wilson in round two?

almost correct.... -
it'll be:
sprint to podium for Greedy
trade AB for another 1st
sprint to podium for Polite with that 1st
and then sprint in the 2nd for Mack or some kid from Virginia Beach

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:04 pm 

Zedrick Woods who I am familiar with ran the fastest 40 at 4.29

Yeah I thought he was going to be a 4.5 guy

He plays like a 4.5 guy

Remove the S from the https when you "paste" the link in for a youtube video.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:22 pm 

FC wrote:
Zedrick Woods who I am familiar with ran the fastest 40 at 4.29

Yeah I thought he was going to be a 4.5 guy

He plays like a 4.5 guy

It's crazy. Every scouting report includes "lacks the make-up speed and burst necessary" or some variation thereof.

I also think that time is bullshit. He finished in a near dead heat with D.K. Metcalf's 4.33 in the simulcast. I wanted to see Dean 4.30, Woods 4.39, Campbell 4.31, & Isabella 4.31. There's no way those four are exactly what the NFL says they are. I get very suspicious when the official time goes DOWN from either electronically timed 40, which is what happened with Woods & Isabella.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:47 pm 

I mean, they're all coached up before the thing to do the 40, because it's the glamour event, though not the most meaningful. The overall stench rising from the DB positional drills was concerning, to say the least. Is it possible that some of these kids can only afford enough coaching for the 40? There are several I saw looking bad in drills who seemed pretty effective in game action.

Also, if you're looking for a speedy receiver, go get yourself a Buckeye.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:37 pm 

Ice wrote:
I mean, they're all coached up before the thing to do the 40, because it's the glamour event, though not the most meaningful. The overall stench rising from the DB positional drills was concerning, to say the least. Is it possible that some of these kids can only afford enough coaching for the 40? There are several I saw looking bad in drills who seemed pretty effective in game action.

This is what I was saying in the other thread--the game tape is bullshit in a lot of cases, because teams are just playing the CBs way off, bailing before the snap. Very different than the pro game. NFL QBs are better, and RBs/OL are faster, and ILBs/EDGE?DL suddenly don't have this huge advantage they do in most college games. I'll bet if you just ranked them by watching ball drills at the combine, you'd have just about as much success picking them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:44 pm 

Interesting and kinda disturbing thought, that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:05 am 

You guys were right, other than Greedy's 40, he looked really bad. Unbelievable how many draft sites have him as one of the "Winners" of the combine.

What do you guys think of Justin Layne?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:34 am 

I guess I'll buy the injury excuse with Greedy and wait until 3/22, but for teams assembling their boards, what B2B was saying about CBs and tape makes his life considerably more difficult. Shame, because in the games I got to see, he looked like one of the better turnover generators at the position, at least among the underage large-school producer types that our scouting staff seems to prefer.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:41 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Ice wrote:

This is what I was saying in the other thread--the game tape is bullshit in a lot of cases, because teams are just playing the CBs way off, bailing before the snap. Very different than the pro game. NFL QBs are better, and RBs/OL are faster, and ILBs/EDGE?DL suddenly don't have this huge advantage they do in most college games. I'll bet if you just ranked them by watching ball drills at the combine, you'd have just about as much success picking them.

I've been saying this for years. It is very hard to see any match-ups in college games that can translate into the NFL game. Almost all of the players need to learn their position. Players that got by on athleticism alone will have to learn technique or fail. Anyone drafting a WR or CB based on the 40 time is just stupid.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:26 am 

Quote:
Anyone drafting a WR or CB or LB based on the 40 time is just stupid.

Fixed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:35 am 

For 90%+ of the drafted players, teams have to project based on their athleticism. Then hope they can learn their position.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:53 pm 

jebrick wrote:
For 90%+ of the drafted players, teams have to project based on their athleticism. Then hope they can learn their position.

I'll buy that, and include things like football IQ and processing speed, which I think our scouting department needs to do a little brushing up on in the evaluation/methodology department.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:47 pm 

Charles Demarr wrote:
You guys were right, other than Greedy's 40, he looked really bad. Unbelievable how many draft sites have him as one of the "Winners" of the combine.

What do you guys think of Justin Layne?

An early candidate for Steelers 'Whaaaat? WTF is this guy?' pick at 1.20.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:14 pm 

In the games I watched, he does overuse his hands at times when he feels like he's getting beat on a play.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:17 pm 

I prefer to have these disagreements over a podcast so I could explain my positions better but

I would not waste a second round draft pick Devin Bush.

My god he is an awful football player.

NEVER EVER EVER around the ball unless he is schemed into position.

3 year starter who failed to register 50 solo tackles in a single season

3 year starter who created 1 turnover in his career. Zero forced fumbles or recoveries which goes back to my previous point of never being around the ball

I have never seen a linebacker dominated at the point of attack by Wide receivers before I scouted Bush

He will throw his body around at small skill position players..He is a poor tackler.

He is fucking awful in coverage and gets lost in zones....Easily manipulated out of passing lanes

I really like nothing about the player.

I could be here all day...I will stick with this. I hate many prospects. And the thing I am 100% sure of. They are no draftnicks left. Just simple minded folks who think they know what they are watching but in reality have no clue

Remove the S from the https when you "paste" the link in for a youtube video.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:20 pm 

Kevin Colbert admitted the other day in a Ray Fittipaldo peice that they didn’t keep up with how they scouted corners and need to move from size/tackling to speed/ball skills.

Insert your favorite face palm meme

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:30 pm 

Agreed about Bush. Athletically, he's a Shazier mirage in the desert. On tape, he's about as far from Shaz as you can get.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next