It is currently Sun May 19, 2019 4:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trading AB wishful thinking mock
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:35 am 

20. Jachai Polite OLB 6'2 240 Florida
Can get to that QB with an array of rush moves as an Edge player. Physical at the point of attack. Converts speed to power. Although, Polite is limited in his coverage ability and run defense Polite suits the Steelers pass rush needs. Why he falls to the Steelers here. Will Push Dupree for playing time. At worst pushes Chickillo off the roster. Combined with Watt, Dupree and Adeniyi they improve the pass rush making up for a lacking few years becoming a strength.

24T. Andraez (Greedy) Williams CB 6'1 182 LSU
Gruden just can't help himself. This secondary prospect falls to the Steelers. He has the athleticism, height, length to play boundary in the NFL. Although his modest speed could be perceived as a liability Williams has a knack for the ball. Needs refinement in run defense, tackling and playing through the whistle. Not known as a great game processor, yet. Given time to develop behind Haden, Hilton and whoever they decide to pay in FA Williams will come into his own.

52. Jeffery Simmons DT 6'4 304 Mississippi State
Simmons was a projected as a sure fire 1st RND'er pre draft. Unfortunately for him [very fortunate for the Steelers here in my mock] Simmons falls further than suspected. A domestic abuse early in his college football career causes him to fall out of the 1st RND. A pre-draft ACL tear causes him to fall right into the Steelers lap. An athletic height, length, speed and explosive prospect. Can play anywhere along the DLine with a high motor. Very disruptive lineman with the ability to collapse a pocket in passing scenarios. Excellent run defender. Needs refinement in 2 gap scheme.

66T. Kelvin Harmon WR 6'2 213 North Carolina State
Excellent route running tactician. NFL ready. Not the most explosive or speedy prospect. Hands for days, Ball skills are his forte. Contested/combat catching is where he's made his money. Sufficient blocking, tough as nails player. A more Smith-Schuster type than Wallace. FA could play a part in this selection as well. Harmon is a good skills player prospect.

83. Vosean Joseph ILB 6'0 225 Florida
This is the sideline to sideline middle linebacker type the Steelers desire to run/pass defend the middle of their defense. Joseph is a very athletic prospect while he isn't the biggest LB'er in the game he plays much bigger than his listed size would indicate. Arrives at the ball with bad intentions. Also has good ball skills in addition to some coverage abilities. Will require refinement in the details of the game as a processor and learn to reign in his out of control playing tactics.

115. Michael Deiter OG 6'6 321 Wisconsin
Deiter has started at both center and guard for Wisconsin and is a mobile interior player. All 3 skills are prerequisites for a Steelers IOL prospect. Plays well inside run blocking, slippery/nimble enough to get out into the second level. Foster's heir apparent as Finney slides inside to center.

161. Tony Pollard RB 6'0 208 Memphis
Not the most sexy pick here but what can you expect for an early 6th RND'er. Is the type of skill player the Steelers/Fichtner like. Can play out of the back field as a running back. Needs refinement on pass blocking. Can make the short passing game a focal point early in his career. Is a kick return experienced prospect.

178. Evan Worthington S 6'2 210 Colorado
Athleticism and speed are a strength. Not elite though. Ball skills are a strength as well. Not a great processor of the game. Has technical deficiencies as seen on tape in proper angles and as a tackler. Needs refinement in both areas. Can play either safety spot. Has one suspension issue for violating team rules.

195. Jake Bailey P 6'1 201 Stanford
This punter and kickoff man could be drafted well before this pick. In my mock scenario he lands with the Steelers here in the 7th RND. Even here in the seventh round Bailey is a steal. With a 44.5 yard average punting capability Bailey makes all the difference on ST's for the Steelers. With Berry moving on in FA Bailey is just what the doctor ordered. Has over 20 punts in the 50+ yard range. Has a record 84 yard punt at Cal. Stats: https://gostanford.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=7533

Post subject: Re: Trading AB wishful thinking mock
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:17 pm 

I believe whatever WR we take is going to have to be some level of a burner.

JuJu isn't known for his speed and it was beyond troubling how little separation James Washington was able to get downfield.

Gonna have to find somebody to not only take the top off the defense but a guy who is also capable of making plays when necessary.

Best case scenario is we find a Mike Wallace 2.0. Worst case scenario is we find a Nate Washington 2.0.

GOTTA find a downfield threat in this draft.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:24 pm 

KC wrote:
I believe whatever WR we take is going to have to be some level of a burner.

JuJu isn't known for his speed and it was beyond troubling how little separation James Washington was able to get downfield.

Gonna have to find somebody to not only take the top off the defense but a guy who is also capable of making plays when necessary.

Best case scenario is we find a Mike Wallace 2.0. Worst case scenario is we find a Nate Washington 2.0.

GOTTA find a downfield threat in this draft.

Agree with the "burner' statement. John Brown via free agency? Desean Jackson?

Deebo Samuel in the draft?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:49 pm 

That is what I believe they do.

Some FA's I think could be that missing speed WR...
Tyrell Williams 27 yrs old
Quincy Adeboyejo 24 yrs old
Cordarrelle Patterson 28 yrs old
Chris Conley 26 yrs old
Corey Coleman 25 yrs old
John Brown 29 yrs old

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:37 pm 

I would sign John Brown in a second.

I would not touch Patterson unless you think he can play just ST and replace DHB. He is next to useless as a Wr.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:05 pm 

Patterson=Hunter.
No thanks.

Ridley or Paris Campbell in the draft.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:32 pm 

cop1211 wrote:

Speed/deep threat problem solved...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:05 pm 

I'd take either. Partial to Campbell, but that's fan prejudice in large part. Great character kid and locker room guy, though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:16 pm 

cop1211 wrote:
Patterson=Hunter.
No thanks.

Patterson & Hunter are completely different players. Patterson is like the superhero version of Ryan Switzer, and would be our best kick returner since Stefan Logan. He's of zero use as a deep threat, but he's a valuable role player.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:17 pm 

jebrick wrote:

I would not touch Patterson unless you think he can play just ST and replace DHB. He is next to useless as a Wr.

He's less useless than Switzer... same type of player on offense and in return game, only light years better.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:13 am 

To be honest I doubt Williams is let go from Chargers. That IMO leaves Conley, Coleman, Adeboyejo and Brown. Everyone knows I'm not a proponent for smurfs. That eliminates Brown and the fact dude can't seem to stick to any one team very long. Kinda red flag for me. So, to me I go after Conley. Flip a coin for Adeboyejo/Coleman if Conley stays where he's at or is priced out of the Steelers reach.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:20 am 

I think Tyrell Williams would be a nice compliment to Juju should AB be traded. Tall and fast but I read a rotoblurb that said he wants #1 money. Our Steelers won't pay him that nor would I. Money much better spent on the defense

I'm with you '77, I'm not a John Brown fan but as someone connected the dots elsewhere he was coached by Darryl Drake with the Cards. I'd rather add a deep threat via the draft. Good group of wrs this year.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:48 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
jebrick wrote:

He's less useless than Switzer... same type of player on offense and in return game, only light years better.

And dummer than a pile of rock

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:53 pm 

jebrick wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
jebrick wrote:

take ball... run that way--->

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:27 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
jebrick wrote:

take ball... run that way--->

does not seem to have worked for teams so far.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:51 pm 

Oakland and NE got a good bit out of him last couple of years.

CordarelleP: 55 rushes for 349, 6.35 YPC, 3 TD, 52 rec for 556, 10.5 YPC, 3 TD, 74% catch rate + top 5 KR

Ryan Switzer: 10 rushes for 26,.. 2.60 YPC, 0 TD, 42 rec for 294, 7.00 YPC, 1 TD, 82% catch rate + 28th KR & 26th PR