It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Dogs New Tricks
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:01 am 

The time is for the Steelers to get rid the old dogs, they simply need to put them down and move on.

Offseason:
1. Tag Bell and trade him to Oakland for pick #35.
2. Trade Brown to Miami for picks #48 and #78.
3. Cut Morgan Burnett.
4. Resign Ramon Foster, Coty Sensabaugh, Eli Rogers, L.J. Fort, Tyson Alualu, Darrius Heyward-Bey and Jordan Berry.
5. Tender Xavier Grimble, B.J. Finney, Mike Hilton, Matt Feiler, Jake McGee, and Keion Adams.
6. Sign Thomas Davis and Tre Boston.
7. Steelers trade up using their using a 6th and 7th round pick for a 5th rounder.

Draft:
1.20- DeAndre Baker CB Georgia
Despite his smaller frame, he's considered one of the best CBs in this class. The Steelers drastically need an upgrade at CB and Baker would see the field immediately.

2.35- Jeffrey Simmons DT Mississippi State
This guy has his past troubles behind him but suffered a devastating ACL injury while training for the draft. If this was 25 years ago, his career would probably be over. However, with today's advancement in medicine and surgery, I bet Simmons can come back and be just as good as ever. He would have been a lock for the first round if he hadn't been injured. Drafting Simmons would give the Steelers a talented backup DL who could spell Heyward, Tuitt, and Hargrave.

2.48- D'Andre Walker OLB Georgia
I've already gone on record saying that I think Walker might be one of my favorite edge rushers in the class. He sets the edge well and I think his pass rushing game will only get better when he gets to the NFL.

2.52- Riley Ridley WR Georgia
I was watching this kid's tape and you know this dawg reminds me of? Brandon Marshall. He's not an elite athlete be he is a baller. He can beat you with his size, his speed, and his athleticism. He's the type of guy who could develop into a complete WR. Not to mention, he has some of the best hands in the class.

3.78- Isaac Nauta TE Georgia
As Drama put in another mock, this kid has a ton of talent but wasn't utilized like a top recruit would be at a school like Georgia. Equipped with all the tools for a NFL TE, Nauta will likely have a better pro career than college career.

3.83- Elijah Holyfield RB Georgia
Anyone notice a trend with the teams in the playoffs? They all ran the ball well. While I am excited for Conner and Samuels going forward, if the Steelers have a chance to add a back like Holyfield to the mix they should pounce. He runs with a ton of power behind his pads, is quick to plant his foot, and has underrated speed. The arrow is only pointing up for this kid. I love how he seeks out contact when he runs, he reminds me a little bit of former Steelers killer Fred Taylor.

4.???- Sutton Smith LB Northern Illinois
While Smith doesn't have a defined position yet, this kid is a "wild dog" when he gets on the field. He's been a pass rushing nightmare for opposing QBs since he has stepped on campus. I believe that Smith could develop into a well rounded LB who can play in the middle or on the outside. The sky is the limit for a guy who is a pure football player.

5.???- Jamal Peters DB Mississippi State
I've been a fan of his game for a while now. Peters is a athletic freak who boasts a great frame and plays physical. Also has the speed to stick with receivers. While he's primarily been a CB in college, I think he could have a long future at safety.

6.???- Ben Burr-Kirven LB Washington
A lot like Sutton Smith, he's a little undersized but he's super quick and is a tackling machine. Tyler Matakevich needs to be shown the door this offseason.

Final 53:
QB/ Roethlisberger, Dobbs, Rudolph
RB/ Conner, Samuels, Holyfield, Nix
WR/ Smith-Schuster, Washington, Ridley, Rogers, Heyward-Bey
TE/ McDonald, Nauta, Grimble
OL/ Villaneuva, Foster, Pouncey, Decastro, Gilbert, Finney, Feiler, Okorafor, Banner
DL/ Heyward, Tuitt, Hargrave, Alualu, Hooks, Simmons(PUP candidate to start year)
OLB/ Dupree, Watt, Adeniyi, Walker, Adams
ILB/ Williams, Davis, Fort, Smith, Burr-Kirven
CB/ Haden, Sutton, Hilton, Baker, Sensabaugh, Allen
SAF/ Davis, Edmunds, Boston, Peters
ST/ Cannaday, Berry, Boswell

Post subject: Re: New Dogs New Tricks
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:12 am 

Hmmm...this one is out there Smith. :)
Truth be told, I love your mocks...thanks!

I'm not for holding our cap room hostage by TT'g Bell. So, I don't think that happens.
I doubt they go after Thomas Davis at his age. Colbert is usuall looking for guys <30 or close and Davis is neither.
Love Boston, but I wonder why they didn't go after him last year.
I would be willing to bet they make a play for Dennard at CB. A guy that could start and not cost a ton.
Anyway, I'll take a stab at your picks if you don't mind.

1. Byron Murphy CB
2a. Devin Bush ILB
2b. Deebo Samuel WR
2c. Chauncey Garnder-Johnson S/DimeBacker
3a. Chase Winovich OLB
3b. Sternberger TE
4. Benny Snell RB
5. Anthony Nelson DL
6. Best K/P available

Post subject: Re: New Dogs New Tricks
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:45 pm 

That's a fair assessment of where some think Simmons will fall. Just out of the 1st RND into the early 2nd RND...In your scenario could the Steelers get lucky and land Simmons with that #48 pick? :o

Bell is history. Gonna get zippo for him. Moving on...

I like the rest, a couple top 100 picks for Brown is about right.

Cutting Burnett is an obvious one as should be cutting Heyward-Bey. Why they hold Bey on the roster is beyond bizarre.

I re-sign Outlaw before Grimble. Grimble is 3rd string back up TE 2nd string back up ST'er. Easily upgraded.

Davis is pre-historic in football years. No thanks. Barrett/Ray. Ford would be awesome.

Using a 6th RND and 7th RND to move up in the 5th is tough to imagine but for conversations purposes I like the selection. I think Peters impresses athletically later this April.

I like the draft smith. Well done. If it was to unfold the way you've proposed I'd be ecstatic.