It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bored rainy day mock
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:51 pm 

My free agent priorities....

WR Deontay Burnett
I think Burnett is that successful 'FA sleeper' if given the chance to develop. Despite his poor USC pro day test numbers which are likely linked to injury. To me his college tape is an indicator of his potential. He's got good hands and athleticism to get open in the NFL. I think he can develop into a really good smooth route running WR. At just 21 years of age I think his best days are ahead of him. Needs refinement and a decent QB passing him the ball. ;)

LB Emmanuel Ellerbe
At 6'1 230 he fits the size, weight and length for the desired ILB for Steelers defense. He ran a 4.58 and a 4.64 at his pro day. Also vertical jumped 42" so he's got that explosive ability and quickness. Although, Ellerbe has the raw athleticism that made him excel in his scouting drills; he now needs a great coach to refine those raw abilities and help him translate them to production on the field. A worthy FA ILB candidate.

DL Julian Taylor
Nothing that blows you away at first glance. Taylor had modest production while playing for Temple. He was a 15 game starter with a total 53 tackles, 12.5 tackles for a loss and 1 sack. Not much to write home about, right? His stats don't tell the whole story, unless you only rely only on stats when considering a prospect. At 6'5 280-ish Taylor had a really decent pro day. 31.5" vertical jump, 4.83 40 yard dash, 9'6 broad jump and a 7.32 3 cone in addition to a 4.77 20 yard shuttle and finally 31 reps of 225. Taylor offers plenty of upside as a DE prospect. At only 24 years of age he still has a lot of upside/potential. He fits the desired athleticism, length, height, weight and speed qualifications for the Steelers. With some strength training and technique refinement I think Taylor could explode on the scene like Keisel did. Huge stretch I know.

CB Ronald Darby
Tested in the top 90 percentile at the 2015 combine. 5'11 194, Darby hasn't done much since entering the NFL. Modest at best production so far. Kind of a handsy corner. An ACL injury sidelined him last season. At 25 years of age he still has some rawness to his playing style. He relies on his athleticism to hide that lack of refinement. With more refinement Darby could be that man 2 man outside boundary corner to pair with Haden. Darby has that world class speed and even better COD. His instincts and football awareness are sharp. Needs to develop as a better pass defender and improve his tackling skills. Upside is very high.

RB Jalen Richard
Richard didn't test well enough to be drafted but has more than established his presence in the NFL. Richard was the highest graded elusive RB in the NFL for 2016. With a rank of 90.7 higher than (Balt) Dixon and (Mia) Ajayi of that season according to PFF. I think Richard could be part of something dynamic behind Conner in 2019. At 25 years of age Richard still has great potential and more refinement ahead of him. Richard has that burst after contact, that ability to cut without losing speed Richard maximises his yardage capability. Richard has also proved he can catch from anywhere on the field. Richard also has return abilities.

Honorable mention:
ILB Kwon Alexander
DLine Jihad Ward
OLB Bryan Cox Jr.

My mock with No AB trade...

Byron Murphy CB 6'0 185 Washington
Excellent prospect. Well developed man cover skills. Great COD with excellent foot speed. Football IQ and awareness make him an ideal zone coverage corner as well. Great anticipation and ball skills. Is a well developed tackler in run defense as well. If Murphy falls this far I sprint to the podium.

Vosean Joseph LB 6'1 226 Florida
The short area quickness and fluidity to cover TE's, RB's and slot WR's in the middle. Needs refinement in his anticipation, awareness as a processor. Will need to add playing strength to be that sideline to sideline LB'er. Joseph has the athletic ability to flourish as a Mike linebacker under the right tuledge. To be honest if Joseph had all the traits of an outstanding Mike ILB he'd go well before this pick. I think his potential and athleticism make him the ideal Mike ILB candidate for the Steelers defense.

Anthony Nelson DE 6'7 280 Iowa
Will need to add playing strength. Certainly has the frame to add additional weight. Has excellent length and size for a 5 tech. Converts speed to power as a rusher very well. Is good at anticipating and processing making him fluid at his pass rush. Needs development in space as a run defender but hand placement and athleticism make him fluent in a phone booth. Extremely tough as a tackler and finally is of high character. Ideal Steelers prospect.

Michael Deiter OG 6'5 321 Wisconsin
Good mobile mover with nimble feet. Smart instinctive player. Good anchor ability. Good hand placement and excels in chests of defenders. Has athletic ability to climb into the second level as a puller/blocker. Has been described as a mauler. Has that blue collar effort with no character issues. Ideal Steeler candidate.

Gary Jennings Jr. WR 6'2 215 West Virginia
If Jennings lasts this long I sprint to the podium. His abilities to get open are NFL calibre. He can take the top of defenses with smooth route running and speed. Jennings didn't have a defined role on offense while in college which make him a flexible skill player in my book gives him an advantage. Solid fluidity and good hands make him dangerous to defensive secondaries. Really good athlete with the ability to contribute in the return game.

Tony Pollard RB 6'0 209 Oklahoma
His undefined role history make him a gamble but what better gamble then the 6th round. Has the player flexibility the Steelers desire. Has played WR and RB in college. Patience and vision are decent making him a good RB candidate for a zone blocking/pulling offensive run game. Pass defense is lacking at this point but with some development Pollard could excel in pass defense. Awareness and ball skills are a bit raw/lacking, are in need of development. Why Pollard is likely here at the 19th pick in the 6th Round. Also has kick return ability.

Jake Bailey P 6'1 196 Stanford
My last pick is because there is an obvious talent drop off at punter. With Berry a FA I opt to draft his replacement. Bailey is a great candidate and will be a potential game changer as punter. With a college average of 43.1 yards and 44 punts inside the 20 yardline Bailey fits the desired talent profile needed to upgrade at the punter position.

Post subject: Re: Bored rainy day mock
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:11 pm 

I dig it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:39 am 

Yeah, I can definitely do behind this. If I’m the Steelers I’d still try to find one marquee free agent who could potentially make an impact right away.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:09 am 

Between cost and age I think the Steelers are S.O.L. Didn't really find one. Think they're going to have to draft and develop one smith. Looking over this link I couldn't find one that really stood out over the rest. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/