It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: If you build it, Lombardi's will come
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:17 pm 

FREE AGENT SIGNINGS:

Dee Ford 6'2 243 EDGE KC Chiefs- He and a first round middle linebacker would turn a decent front 7 into a very good one. Ford's wicked first step, 13 sacks and 7 forced fumbles would give Steelers best OLB tandem in football while weakening a possible Super Bowl champion. Make it happen Deuce. You owe us one.

Tyrell Williams 6'4 205 WR Chargers- They'll always be the San Diego Chargers to me. Stupid NFL.

DRAFT:

1T) Devin White 6'1 240 LB LSU- Kid's just a presence in the middle.He has a Ray Lewis type of ceiling. I've calmed down from the AB soap opera but I still think he needs to be traded.

1.) DeAndre Baker 5'11 185 CB Georgia- I think Baker is the best corner in the draft and will go top 15 but I've been seeing more mocks with him going in the 20's. Like White, I see Baker being a leader for this defense. Missing on 1st round picks sets you back and the Steelers missed badly on Artie Burns.

2) TJ Hockenson 6'5 250 TE Iowa- The other TE at Iowa is said to be a better all-around player and teammate than Noah Fant. I know we all like Vance but I think adding another weapon and outstanding blocker can only help Ben as well as the running game. Being players in free agency would allow for a luxury pick such as this one.

3T) Hakeem Butler 6'6 225 WR Iowa St- Tall 'sum bitch that Ben will like in the red zone. Strong combine could push this kid into round 1 so I'm buying low. Juju, Vance, Hockenson, and Butler all physical football players and tenacious blockers

3) David Montgomery 5'11 216 RB Iowa St.- Another physical player for the offense. Fantastic back after contact. Great in pass pro and excels catching the ball out of the backfield. I like Conner and Samuels, but I don't think either is the complete weapon this kid can be.

4) Anthony Nelson 6'7 271 DE Iowa- Yet another player from the great state of Iowa. Dig this kid. All out hustler would look good chasing qbs in front of TJ Watt. Picking him in round 4 just like former Steeler Aaron Smith who this kid immediately reminded me of wearing that Hawkeyes/Steelers uniform.

6T) Mike Edwards 6'0 200 S Kentucky- Dig this kid too. Played all over the defense for the 'Cats. Vocal leader of a really good defense. Again, I'm not a Sean Davis fan. Want him replaced with Landon Collins but if I'm spending Art's money I think Dee Ford would have a bigger impact.

6.) Antoine Wesley 6'5 200 WR Texas Tech- Twin towers if paired with the before mentioned 6'6 Hakeem Butler. At 6'4 205, my other free agent signing Tyrell Williams is tall and wicked fast. Play the height on the outside turn JuJu loose in the middle. Add 6'5 Vance and 6'5 Hockenson and Ben has some big, strong, PHYSICAL dudes to distribute the ball to.

7) Tony Pollard 6’0 208 RB Memphis- The other running back at Memphis tied the NCAA record with 7 kick returns for TDs. He also has 104 career catches for the Tigers. I still think the Steelers return game sucks along with the rest of Danny Smith's "special" teams.

Thanks as always for reading. Please comment on players you like and those you don't. Hopefully the Steelers change their ways and add a stud or two via free agency but I know I'll be disappointed as usual.

Post subject: Re: If you build it, Lombardi's will come
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:55 pm 

Love the 1st 2 picks

I do not think Butler will fall into the 3rd and I also would not take him and a TE. I think Butler will be not a very good NFL WR. He does not have the quickness to get open and will be less likely to bully CBs like he does now. Basically, a TE that does not line block.

I would suggest an EDGE player there. I always want to see Chick get on with his life. I will suggest Jalen Jelks Oregon and D'Andre Walker ( if you think he falls that far)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:09 pm 

jebrick wrote:
Love the 1st 2 picks

I do not think Butler will fall into the 3rd and I also would not take him and a TE. I think Butler will be not a very good NFL WR. He does not have the quickness to get open and will be less likely to bully CBs like he does now. Basically, a TE that does not line block.

I would suggest an EDGE player there. I always want to see Chick get on with his life. I will suggest Jalen Jelks Oregon and D'Andre Walker ( if you think he falls that far)

Jelks will not be a Steeler unless he wants to bulk up and play 34 DE. He does not possess the fluidity nor quickness to be an OLB in our current scheme. Walker however would be a perfect fit on this defense, he can hold the edge and get after the QB.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:43 pm 

1. White- This kid is a transcendent type of football player. Trading Brown would have to net us a pick in the top 10 if we wanted to get him.

1. Baker- He reminds me a lot of a younger Chris Harris. He doesn't have great size but his ability to blanket WRs makes him a top CB in this class.

2. Hockenson- I think this sky is the limit for this kid, complete TE. I get wanting to have a more consistent TE because it's infuriating when McDonald doesn't show up, but this draft should be all about replacing the porous talent we are trotting out on defense.

3. Butler- I really like the physical make up of this kid and the Steelers could really use a taller WR who can stretch the field. If you get Tyrell Williams in free agency I'm not sure how much room you can really make for a rookie in this offense. Butler was a stud for Iowa State, if he can be a solid chain-moving guy and TD machine in the redzone he might be worth it. He got by being bigger in the Big 12, I question if he's quick enough to get away from coverage in the NFL.

3. Montgomery- Love the player, think it's way to early to draft one. I think we have the potential of a good 1-2 punch with Conner and Samuels. If we add a RB, I'd like to see a dynamic speed guy. There are quite a few guys that I'd kick the tires on in free agency, especially a guy like Orleans Darkwa who looked good with the Giants but an injury kept him unsigned this past year. I'd rather give the defense another body to push some of the curent players on the roster.

4. Nelson- Love this pick Drama, exactly the type of guy we need to get and develop. A high motor guy is needed to replace Heyward and Tuitt on occasion.

6. Edwards- I remember when IU football was trying to recruit this kid. A versatile DB would be welcome considering our safeties are incredibly average.

6. Wesley- I remember watching him earlier in the year, I'd rather take a chance on this guy than Butler to be honest. He has better quicks and his skills might translate better to the NFL.

7. Pollard- Really like the addition of this kid. Highly productive who kid could be a an asset in the passing game and on special teams.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:01 am 

Wow tremendous player feedback Smith!
Thanks for the input fellas.
Interesting takes you both have on Hakeem Butter.
Wish he were at senior bowl practices. Combine willl be big for him
I think running back a bigger need than most. Too many times the Steelers find themselves counting on backs that shouldn’t be on an NFL roster
Defensively we’re pretty aligned in who and what but I’ll be throwing out more names as we go to get your opinions

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:20 pm 

Yeah, you know that Nelson kid is about as close to a draft crush as one can have. I love the pick Drama. Everything else is well done too. I think White better be their first pick or furians in here will be completely disappointed after the draft. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:50 pm 

Quote:
1T) Devin White 6'1 240 LB LSU- Kid's just a presence in the middle.He has a Ray Lewis type of ceiling.

He jumps on the pile 5 seconds after the tackle is made???
:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:34 pm 

Hockenson is the best TE in this draft. Reminds me of Ertz. I would take him over Fant in a heartbeat. I think his stock rises into the first by the draft.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:49 am 

smithessmokin wrote:
jebrick wrote:
Love the 1st 2 picks

Jelks will not be a Steeler unless he wants to bulk up and play 34 DE. He does not possess the fluidity nor quickness to be an OLB in our current scheme. Walker however would be a perfect fit on this defense, he can hold the edge and get after the QB.

We will have to agree to disagree on Jelks. Quick. Long. Very fast first step. Bend. His knock is he is raw on pass rushing. I think a perfect pick for the 3rd round. I do like Walker but I am not sure he lasts until the Steelers 3rd round pick.