It is currently Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LSU-UCF
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:39 am 

First, I have to say that I'm proud of my Tigers. LSU had an expectations-defying season. When all is said and done, they will have played the following teams ranked in the final CFP rankings:

(1) Alabama - L
(5) Georgia - W
(8) UCF - TBD
(10) Florida - L
(18) Miss. State - W
(19) A&M - L*

You also throw in games against underperforming, but bowl eligible, teams in Auburn and Miami...that's a brutal stretch. I think our O/U on wins was 6.

If they can go 10-3 vs that, it'll be exceptional.

That said, LSU's offense is in desperate need of modernization. Aranda is a fantastic defensive coordinator. He provided part of the blueprint to slow Alabama's offense. We need that on the offensive side of the ball. Unfortunately not going to happen. LSU's recruiting class for 2019 is shaping up to finish top 5, if not top 3, and 2020 as well. A couple five star freshman WRs this year will hopefully develop. Burrow another year. I think Ensminger gets a year to see what he can do. But what LSU lacks on offense isn't talent, it's scheme and development.

I digress. As for the bowl game...

This is my nightmare matchup. We win? "You beat UCF we knew they were frauds." We lose? "You lost to UCF. Embarrassing."/"Took down another SEC team. Let us into the playoff." It's really a lose-lose.

It also means a ton more for UCF. Our #1 CB sitting out (Greedy). Our #2 CB injured (Fulton). We'll get a good peek at what part of LSU's secondary will look like next year, but who knows if they're ready this year? Especially for an up-tempo passing offense like UCF.

That said, UCF has not faced a defense like LSUs during this run. I expect them to come out fired up. If LSU came motivated to play at all, and can weather that, they should be fine. It could look a lot like the bowl game vs Louisville (I think we won a war of attrition 29-9, shutting down Lamar Jackson). It could also look a lot like UCF vs Auburn last year or LSU A&M this year. LSU will come out and try to run the ball 40+ times. UCF can't stop the run. But if Joe Burrow can't make smart throws and decisions on 3rd and 4 and 5, or our WRs keep dropping balls, the defense will get tired quickly.

But it's a big "if" if LSU can match the intensity of UCF in this game. This is everything to UCF. They're desperate to be taken seriously. They're a damn good football team as well. This is just another consolation bowl for LSU. Would any UCF player dare to sit out of this bowl game to preserve draft stock? I doubt it.

My head tells me UCF jumps out to an early 7-0 lead, but LSU prevails 30-21.
My gut tells me UCF pulls one out. The storyline is too good if they do for it not to happen.

Post subject: Re: LSU-UCF
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:20 pm 

I have never seen a team go into a bowl game as thin as LSU is going into tomorrow's.

#1, #2, #3 cb out (draft, injury, suspension, respectively).

#4 CB starting but his father just died.

Had to move a WR to CB to have enough depth.

#1 DT, #3 DE out

With UCF's tempo, this is going to take a masterclass of coaching and rotation to survive.

LSU is going to have to have a ton of success running the ball to keep the defense fresh, and still probably need to drop 40.

Not feeling great. If I were betting, I'm probably cautiously taking UCF moneyline. If the line is anything more than LSU -3 by kickoff, I'm taking the points confidently.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:38 pm 

LSU is basically dominating overhyped UCF despite a depleted squad.

I didn't know this until recently but guess which college has the highest student enrollment in the US?

Not Penn State
Not Ohio State
Not Florida
Not Texas AM
Not SUNY

UCF! Who knew?

Time for a university of that size to put on the big boy pants and join a real conference.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:33 pm 

Shows why I don’t gamble.

This has been a masterful coaching job by Coach O and Dave Aranda .

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:53 pm 

Looks like UCF won’t be repeating as national champions. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:09 pm 

Jobus Rum wrote:
Looks like UCF won’t be repeating as national champions. :lol:

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:43 pm 

Great tweet from former player..

https://twitter.com/_ball_is_life23/sta ... 1504976898

What a great College Football Championship Title game! Geaux Tigers! You had a shot and ya blew it. I get the QB was out. So was 100 lsu starters. UCF........STAY IN YOUR PLACE! #SEC #power5 #HappyNewYears!