It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mock Wilson
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:04 am 

1.) Mack Wilson 6’2 239 ILB Alabama- Kid is really coming on of late. Two weeks in a row with dominant performances in shutouts over LSU and Miss St. The first back to back shutouts for a Bama defense since 1980 under Bear Bryant. Three down linebacker capable of blitzing and can already cover much better than either Jon Bostic or Vince Williams both of whom are very upgradable.

2.) Brian Burns 6’5 235 EDGE Florida St- WTF has happened to Florida State and Miami??? Ok Mark Richt happened to Miami but Florida St is not going to a bowl game for the first time in 38 years! Burt Reynolds is rolling over in his grave! Oh, Brian Burns, kid’s a helluva athlete. The explosion is obvious. I don’t know what Steelers will do with Bud Dupree. I hope they don’t overpay him.

3.) Blace Brown 6’1 184 CB Troy- Hell no I’ve never seen Troy play but this kid has good size and speed and a nose for the football picking off 11 passes the past two seasons. Steelers have some shit luck drafting corners.I’d like to see them parlay their Leveon Bell money into an elite corner via free agency rather than "burn" an early round pick on another Artie.

4) David Sills 6’4 210 WR West Virginia- Hey putting up 50 on Carolina was for sure awesome but I still think the wr corps sucks behind AB and JuJu. I don’t know if James Washington is a bust but I do know he’s not contributing. This Sills kid has a nose for the end zone and would add some size to the perimeter.

5C?) Mitch Hyatt 6’5 315 OT Clemson- Local kid here in Suwanee, GA I met once his senior year at our local HS. Seemed like a nice enough kid, not pretty to watch, but he’s reliable breaking Clemson’s all time snaps played record for a Clemson offensive lineman. Obviously OL the strength of the Steelers, but who knows what the future holds for Ramon Foster and the less than durable Marcus Gilbert.

6T) Rodney Anderson 6’1 220 RB Oklahoma- Like many of you, I’m pleasantly surprised by the season James Conner is having. The Steelers gamble on his health has paid off thus far. Anderson here is another gamble that could pay off. Three years straight this kid couldn’t finish a season due to injury. He’s left OU to rehab for the draft. His dominant playoff performance against my ‘dawgs tells me this kid is worth a day 3 dart throw who could pay off much the way Conner has for the Steelers.

6) Dontavious Russell 6’3 320 DT Auburn- Big Derek Brown gets all the press, but every time I watch an Auburn game this kid’s making plays in the backfield. I'm not the biggest Javon Hargraves fan, but if you guys tell me he's solid I'm fine just adding some depth.

7) Alex Van Ginkel 6’4 236 OLB Wisconsin- Ok I tuned into the Penn St game for all of 5 minutes and saw this kid sack McSorely. Maybe he’s a friend of TJ’s. Maybe they can hang out together and talk about cheese after games.

Thanks as always for reading. Please post your thoughts on these or other players you like or don’t like.

Post subject: Re: Mock Wilson
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:36 pm 

Love it Drama. Hit all the sweet "Need" spots. Great job as usual.

Side Note: My guess is Wilson will go higher than pick 32.... :P ;)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:45 pm 

And Sills before rd 4...
Regardless, an excellent draft, although I know nothing of a Blace Brown.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:46 pm 

This is the draft we can honestly and probably afford to trade up, there are not that many holes on this team.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:34 am 

With Burns being a bust, and Sensabaugh as a starter, along with Haden being on the wrong side of 30 I think corner is a must in the 1st, or 2nd.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:49 am 

cop1211 wrote:
With Burns being a bust, and Sensabaugh as a starter, along with Haden being on the wrong side of 30 I think corner is a must in the 1st, or 2nd.

Hard to argue the need for a starting corner opposite Joe Haden.
I'd prefer they go the free agent route to add a proven commodity.
Their track record of drafting and developing corners isn't great.
I can also get on board with Smith's suggestion to trade up.
Greedy Williams or DeAndre Baker would be a solid addition to the secondary.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:08 am 

Have a look at AJ Green from Oklahoma. He has looked really good. Not sure if he is a 1st rounder but he generally covers #1 WR all the time and has looked really solid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:28 pm 

Would love the Steelers to get a top FA at corner, but every year they do what they do.
1-2 mid level players they wait until the feeding frenzy is over to sign.
I stopped even hoping for a huge free agent signee 20 years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:32 pm 

cop1211 wrote:
Would love the Steelers to get a top FA at corner, but every year they do what they do.

Someone gets it...
I know we all believe that the Steelers will have all this extra cap space, so they’re going to go out on a FA shopping spree...right?
Of course, they won’t do anything like that at all. What they will do is take care of their own...re-sign some guys...extend some guys. By then, most of the Lev savings will be gone, then they’ll do their annual FA dumpster dive for the Jon Bostic’s and Justin Hunter’s of the world.
It’s gonna happen...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:30 am 

smithessmokin wrote:
This is the draft we can honestly and probably afford to trade up, there are not that many holes on this team.

I was just thinking this. We don't have a ton of real needs outside of ILB and CB. We could use another TE and backup OL/DL.
If we can get one upper-echelon ILB or CB in FA (since we have an extra 14.5 mil), we should strongly go after a
DIFFERENCE maker in this draft.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:32 am 

Jobus Rum wrote:
cop1211 wrote:

Someone gets it...
I know we all believe that the Steelers will have all this extra cap space, so they’re going to go out on a FA shopping spree...right?
Of course, they won’t do anything like that at all. What they will do is take care of their own...re-sign some guys...extend some guys. By then, most of the Lev savings will be gone, then they’ll do their annual FA dumpster dive for the Jon Bostic’s and Justin Hunter’s of the world.
It’s gonna happen...

This is true for the most part. However, they did go after high-priced guys in Hightower, Ryan and Kirkpatrick.
They also paid Haden big money. The Steelers are just very selective with who they choose to target.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:11 pm 

steelheels wrote:
smithessmokin wrote:

I was just thinking this. We don't have a ton of real needs outside of ILB and CB. We could use another TE and backup OL/DL.
If we can get one upper-echelon ILB or CB in FA (since we have an extra 14.5 mil), we should strongly go after a

Set at both safeties, for the most part, CB or ILB would make those relatively strong positions, I think THEY feel like they're set at OLB. I think the DL is pretty stout. I'd like to add the difference maker on defense, but where do you think they'd go for that? Offensive difference maker positions seem reasonably set, as well.

I like the thinking, just wonder where you see the fit.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:09 pm 

Ice wrote:
steelheels wrote:
smithessmokin wrote:

Set at both safeties, for the most part, CB or ILB would make those relatively strong positions, I think THEY feel like they're set at OLB. I think the DL is pretty stout. I'd like to add the difference maker on defense, but where do you think they'd go for that? Offensive difference maker positions seem reasonably set, as well.

I like the thinking, just wonder where you see the fit.

Yeah, they are pretty set at most positions IMO. OLB is not one of them for me.
Bud has progressed but we need a good rotational guy. The FO may think Ola is the answer there.

Anyway, I'm looking at trade offers in the offseason as well. Who knows what guys will be dangled, but good talent can be had for picks.
Additionally, trades don't factor into the compensatory pick process and thereby won't degrade the 3rd we will get the following year for Bell.
We all know Colbert will spend the bulk of FA $$$ on our own guys. I just want one good signing at ILB or CB.
I know it will never happen but I would love Lavonte David in B&G. There is a good crop of 1st round CB's coming out this year as well.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:53 pm 

I'd take David on the B&G, for sure. I think he fits what LB in that big nickel scheme is supposed to look like. I wish I had any faith whatsoever in this staff to draft and develop a first round CB at this point. Unfortunately, the CB FA class looks weak. Jason Verrett decent, but SD probably re-signs. Callahan in Chicago? Roby in Denver? That's about it for the UFA market other than 30+ retreads like McCourty (Pats) or Scandrick (Chefs).

If you can swing a trade with Cleveland for Briean Boddy-Calhoun (played HS ball right here in the 302, RFA, 26, definitely like his game), that might be the best veteran acquisition at the position we can hope for.