It is currently Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Any ILB prospects in the next draft
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:52 am 

Sione Takitaki SR LB BYU
Used to be a 3/4 undersized OLB and rushed the passer, and did well with that in years previous. But this season he has really taken his game to the next level, shows great athletic ability and range as a ILB, really can fly around and make tackles, has been a tackling machine at times for BYU. Is a little undersized but really like how he can run and if protected by a good DL he could be a solid pro. Love the energy he plays with, really gets after it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:05 pm 

He has some off the field issues going that could present a problem for teams interested going forward. He may not be drafted at all due to his behavior issues. Undersized? 6'2 230?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:58 pm 

Still no word if he'll be coming out, but for my money, Isaiah Simmons, S/LB from Clemson could be the next Shazier. Don't know if the kid is a 4.38 guy(maybe 4.45-5), but I bet his 10 yd split is close to Ryan's. He's 6'2"+, 230 lbs, a gym rat/sponge, very humble, and loves the game, word is. I could see Shazier mentoring/coaching him to play ILB at a very high level.

If he does come out, he's the player I want.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:03 pm 

DP39 wrote:
Still no word if he'll be coming out, but for my money, Isaiah Simmons, S/LB from Clemson could be the next Shazier. Don't know if the kid is a 4.38 guy(maybe 4.45-5), but I bet his 10 yd split is close to Ryan's. He's 6'2"+, 230 lbs, a gym rat/sponge, very humble, and loves the game, word is. I could see Shazier mentoring/coaching him to play ILB at a very high level.

If he does come out, he's the player I want.

I'll buy that for a dollar.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:09 pm 

Simmons is a redshirt sophomore. I bet he stays in college.

Muse is also a very intriguing prospect IMO. Has deep safety experience that has honed his skills for 3 seasons. Is a student of the game with a higher football IQ and is able to read the backfield and get to the ball quickly. I think he's the answer for this defense defending the bigger TE's, WR's and RB's. Muse is listed at 6'2 225. I bet this guy ascends up the draft like a lightning strike.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:05 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:

Muse is also a very intriguing prospect IMO. Has deep safety experience that has honed his skills for 3 seasons. Is a student of the game with a higher football IQ and is able to read the backfield and get to the ball quickly. I think he's the answer for this defense defending the bigger TE's, WR's and RB's. Muse is listed at 6'2 225. I bet this guy ascends up the draft like a lightning strike.

He will get exposed in deep coverage as a Safety in the pros.
I would love to add 10 lbs and put him at the ILB position.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:11 pm 

steelheels wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:

He will get exposed in deep coverage as a Safety in the pros.
I would love to add 10 lbs and put him at the ILB position.

I like Muse's smarts and toughness, but his athleticism cant touch Simmons'. Simmons is a team leader as well. I'm certainly not always right, but I think Simmons is going to blow up in a few years, in a good way.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:33 am 

Devin White had meeting with Coach O earlier this week and was still undecided. If I'm being honest, I think he declares, but I also think his family is pushing him to do so whereas if it were completely up to him, he'd stay until senior year.

I'd love him to stay, but man, go get paid.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:36 am 

SteelKnife wrote:
Devin White had meeting with Coach O earlier this week and was still undecided. If I'm being honest, I think he declares, but I also think his family is pushing him to do so whereas if it were completely up to him, he'd stay until senior year.

At the bare minimum, he goes 11th to the Bengals

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:23 pm 

jebrick wrote:
SteelKnife wrote:

At the bare minimum, he goes 11th to the Bengals

I’ve seen mocks that have him in the top 5...as high as second.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:55 pm 

Those mocks are crazy. I have seen him as low as 29 which is equally stupid. He is a top 15 pick. If Mack comes out, he is a top 25 pick. But the Steeelr will sit and someone will trade in front of them to get Mack.

If White falls past the Bengals I think the Steelers are on the phones trying to move up. 20 to 10 is expensive for someone that is not a big game changer. White is good but there are not many players in this draft I give up multiple picks to move up. moving to 10 would be a 1st and a 3rd plus something else. Moving to 15 might be a 1st and a 4th or less.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:43 pm 

Mack wilson changed his mind and declared

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:03 pm 

SteelKnife wrote:
Mack wilson changed his mind and declared

Not sure if I am happy or not. I will be happy if they snag him. I will still predict that the Steelers will sit and someone will move ahead of them and get Wilson. The reason why is everyone and their brother know the Steelers want an ILB. Tried to draft one last year and will try again this year.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:38 pm 

I’d rather take Pratt, or Joseph in the 2nd than Mack in the first.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:40 pm 

White has not declared yet so Wilson may be top. I like Pratt as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:48 am 

Not my comments but from another amateur draftnik talking about the fit for the Steelers.

Josh Allen Kentucky - top 5 pick

Germaine Pratt NC State - Is more of a OLB I feel but has the size and athletic ability they would want, is more of a 2nd rounder but will see

Tre Lamar Clemson - Could be of interest but more in the 2nd or 3rd round, big strong athlete but might not have the speed they really need.

Gary Johnson Texas - Would be a great pickup, speedy linebacker but not sure he could play ILB. Is great in open space and is the type of athlete they would want.

Chase Hansen Utah - Is not really a ILB guy but this former safety showed a lot at OLB I feel, is great in space and a fine athlete so could be of interest.

Justin Hollins Oregon - Big long lean athlete, not sure he is a fit, is more of a 3/4 OLB but could maybe do a number of things in terms of versatility.

David Long Jr West Virginia - Not really a ILB but has great athletic ability and can get into the backfield easily, might be of interest as an quick athlete.

Sutton Smith Northern Illinois - Love him but not sure he could play ILB, has special pass rush ability and a great motor could maybe be a slightly undersized 3/4 OLB as well

Sione Takitaki BYU - Love his athletic ability and does have 3/4 OLB pass rush skills as well, was that before moving to ILB this year, is more of a 2nd or 3rd round guy.

Cameron Smith USC - Very consistent and underrated athlete, not sure he is a great fit but could be a steal in the 3rd or 4th round.

Te'von Coney Notre Dame - Good athletic ability for sure and is an option in the late 2nd to 3rd round possibly.

Vosean Joseph Florida - Big time athlete who is active in the backfield, just not sure he is strong enough to be of interest for the Steelers at ILB, is thin.

Ben Burr-Kirven Washington - Undersized big time and more of a OLB in a 4/3 but who knows they might look at him in terms of being an athlete

Blake Cashman Minnesota - Love his production this year, has potential as a 3/4 ILB or could play OLB easily in a 4/3, would be a great mid round value.

Bobby Okereke Stanford - Long lengthy athlete, a little underachieving in college but has a lot of upside, mid round potential.

Deshaun Davis Auburn - Really like his athletic ability and could be a good value in the middle rounds, need protection but is a big hitter despite being a smaller ILB

Tyrel Dodson Texas A&M - Has tons of upside and potential for his size, big backer who could be a good one down the road.

Anthony Wheeler Texas - Underrated and has the size and speed but at times needs to be more physical.

Ryan Connelly Wisconsin - Smart and tough ILB who is a consistent tackler, might not have the athletic ability they are looking for though.

Jordan Kunaszyk Cal - Just on pure effort alone he is interesting and should be a good mid to late round pickup.

Terez Hall Missouri - Is not the most consistent guy but has 3/4 OLB pass rush skills and is a big hitter as well, could be a late round guy maybe.

Last edited by jebrick on Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:56 pm 

Quote:
LSU junior LB Devin White declared for the 2019 NFL Draft.

A massive gain for the NFL Draft is a big loss for the LSU defense. White is universally ranked as one of the top linebackers -- non edge-rusher edition -- and many have gone so far to call him the top defensive player in this class. He posted 115 tackles, three sacks, and five passes defended. The 6-foot-4, 240-pound linebacker is a lock for the first round, and assuming he tests well at the combine, it's very possible he's a top five-to-ten selection.
Source: Devin White on Twitter Jan 14 - 11:33 AM

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:56 pm 

White just declared. I'm sad, but the right decision.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:13 pm 

So ILB would be Allen ( top 5), White (top 15), and Mack ( top 25??)

I am just not sure he is a cover LB that they need. If they draft Mack, perhaps the ILBs become Mack and Fort.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:43 am 

Fort was a close example of the type of ILB they prefer. Fort is 28 and a FA. They just paid VWill recently I think they're looking for that speedster/joystick ILB that resembles what Shazier was producing. I don't think Wilson is the answer there. Perhaps White is? Maybe they just "find" a FA this offseason? Pratt doesn't offer what they're looking for either unless they want to replace VWill. Then they might as well draft Wilson. VWill is still under a decent contract though. I guess VWill is easily replaced?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:05 pm 

Quote:
Lot of scouts talking to players so that’s rarely a big deal, but #Steelers GM Kevin Colbert personally went over to McNeese State LB B.J. Blunt and chatted with him for awhile. 2 good practices for Blunt
— Jon Ledyard (@LedyardNFLDraft) January 15, 2019

B.J. Blunt the former safety converted to linebacker is a machine for McNeese State. The 6010 linebacker hits like a 6040 linebacker and he has good coverage ability. He is a little stiff, and will need to add a few pounds to play linebacker at the next level but this kid is a gamer who is always around the ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jekQtL2A9xg

Last edited by jebrick on Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:04 pm 

Remove the S from the https when you "paste" the link in for a youtube video.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:20 pm 

Quote:
NC State LB Germaine Pratt was clocked at 20.4 mph at one point during Reese's Senior Bowl practices on Thursday.
Remarkably, Pratt posted the top speed of any player on the North team on Thursday, bettering skill-position talents such as Tony Pollard (20.1 mph) and Terry McLaurin (19.6 mph). The 6-foot-2, 240-pounder most notably showed off the jets in tracking down a streaking Dexter Williams at one point during practice. In a linebacking class which is somewhat top-heavy with the likes of Devin White, Devin Bush and Mack Wilson, Pratt makes for an intriguing Day 2 or early Day 3 selection. Especially if he can ace the remainder of the evaluating process. Testing is going to be key for him. Good to see evidence of raw speed on display early, though The Draft Network's Joe Marino cautioned in previewing the Senior Bowl that Pratt's "movement skills are modest" and that he is "tight in the lower half, which limits his range/burst."
Source: Reese's Senior Bowl on Twitter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:53 pm 

Drew Lock is obviously not a linebacker but kid
Has a great personality. Watching dvr of senior bowl practice kid handling Jeremiah’s dumb ass questions with humor. Just a likable dude that I hope ends up in a good situation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:34 am 

Pratt was already a top 100 guy IMO but after that performance he just made himself so duckets. If he continues to test well at the combine/pro day he could find himself top 50 discussion. I'm also interested in the kid from Maryland. Tre Watson. Anyone with any insight, perhaps a Maryland fan/alum?
Some breakdown here...
https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/01/20/ ... re-watson/