It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: My Top Edge Rushers
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:35 am 

Quote:
Why would they draft a 1st round DE with Hayward and Tuitt under contract for a while? Unless they are planing to switch to a 4-3 this year, it is a wasted pick. It still leaves a big hole at MIKE which is needed whether they are doing a 4-3 or a 3-4 or a hybrid.

Wouldn't hurt to have some depth with upside to keep them fresh, also what's the plan if either get hurt? Alualu was pretty disappointing while he was here.

Like you I believe MLB is probably the biggest need right now, but if there's no MLB or CB worthy in the first round I won't be upset if Sweat is the pick.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:29 am 

I'm hoping it's business as usual for the Steelers this FA. That said, instead of standing by on the sidelines while top talent gets depleted, I hope they go out and sign some top tier Corner, ILB'er and DLine talent so they can enter the draft with their status quo of BPA/Need. We'll see. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:18 pm 

T.W. wrote:
Quote:
Why would they draft a 1st round DE with Hayward and Tuitt under contract for a while? Unless they are planing to switch to a 4-3 this year, it is a wasted pick. It still leaves a big hole at MIKE which is needed whether they are doing a 4-3 or a 3-4 or a hybrid.

Wouldn't hurt to have some depth with upside to keep them fresh, also what's the plan if either get hurt? Alualu was pretty disappointing while he was here.

Like you I believe MLB is probably the biggest need right now, but if there's no MLB or CB worthy in the first round I won't be upset if Sweat is the pick.

Sweat is going in the top after this week at the Senior Bowl. He's really impressed this week and as long as he has good testing numbers that will solidify top status 10.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:43 am 

smithessmokin wrote:
Sweat is going in the top after this week at the Senior Bowl. He's really impressed this week and as long as he has good testing numbers that will solidify top status 10.

Was pretty much neutralized in the senior bowl. Risner kept Sweat quiet all game.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:33 pm 

bingo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:46 pm 

The 34 OLB are a dumpster fire for this draft

Players who will be gone

I hate Bosa...I questioned his brothers toughness. I question his more so. Stiff mechanical soft at the point of attack. He will go top 3.

Josh Allen...Best defensive player in the nation. He had nothing around him and dominated. He is a technician with elite physical tools. He should be gone in the top 7 picks

Jachai Polite...The wild card. Boy does he flash on film. He reminds me of James Harrison in a slightly longer frame. Rushes 18 inches off the ground. He can attack the edge or up the tackles chest. He is a bit raw and a 1 year starter. Some argue he is the 3rd best player in the front 7...He will be gone top 15

Montez Sweet...I actually could not disagree with Brick more. Sweet was an elite basketball recruit. Good enough that he was expected to play at Michigan State before the transfer. Tight end back ground. I don't believe he will be there past pick 15. He is a LDE/LOLB which doesn't fit the Steelers needs. I think he will be solid pro with a decent chance to be elite.

For some reason if any fall I would sprint the pick up. Other then those guys I pretty much hate every prospect I have viewed to date and I have looked at quite a few

3rd round pick to watch for the Steelers...Ben Banogu TCU. He checks most of the boxes that the Steelers look for

Remove the S from the https when you "paste" the link in for a youtube video.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:06 pm 

Didn't we move Dupree to hide his deficiencies? Instead of paying him, is it worth considering moving Watt back and drafting Sweat if there's a chance at an elite guy?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:05 pm 

Watt seems to fit best at LOLB...13.5 sacks this season he is producing at an elite level

If Sweet is the Steelers pick he can rush from the right DE/OLB...I think his body type and game play best on the left side because he plays the run so well. He played RDE the past 2 seasons and he has 23 sacks in the SEC

Miss State players continue to have success in the NFL because they scheme and play like an NFL defense. Players are NFL ready. Todd Grantham is a 34/ odd front wizard

Both Sweet and Simmons are on the Steelers radar IMO.

My take is simple the Steelers have needs at

OLB
ILB
CB
DL
Maybe Wr

The defense needs an infusion of talent and speed...The Steelers have real deal defensive depth issues.

IMO...... ILB CB and WR are stacked in this draft...I like so many prospects
If the Steelers get a pass rusher it will most likely have to be in the 1st round because the class sucks

Brian Burns is either going to be Derrick Thomas or Alonzo Jackson....He has jaw dropping ability.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:17 pm 

Of those you've graciously listed FC, I'd bet Jachai Polite is the best candidate to fall to 20. Amani Oruwariye would be an ideal CB pick at 52. If he falls this far I sprint to the podium and select Charles Omenihu at 83. I'm thinking Vosean Joseph most likely won't make it to the 115th overall pick but if he fell this far..., again, I sprint to the podium and select Joseph with 115th overall pick 4th RND. There's the infusion of youth and speed for this defense. IOL a WR and or RB would round out the draft for me...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:24 pm 

@FC - Respect your knowledge but Sweat's hips are so freakin tight I just do not see him being able to handle OLB duties that the Steeler's demand. He may learn to not be a liability in coverage over time like James Harrison but is that what you want from a 1st round pick. Give me Polite if I am taking an EDGE at 1.20

The EDGE class for OLB starters is about 6 players for this draft.

1) Josh Allen

2) Nick Bosa

3) Jachai Polite

4) Brian Burns

5) OX Oshane Ximines

Clelin Ferrell - not sure yet where he goes. somewhere at 3.5 for now but not sure.

After those players it just drops off. At best you get another Chick.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:06 pm 

I'm thinking the big FA signing this year will be an edge guy. Corner, ILB and potentially WR are all much better in the draft than OLB.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:14 am 

Quote:
@FC - Respect your knowledge

Brick disagreements are great...We've been doing this for awhile I would never feel slighted...I hope you fee the same way sir.

I agree with your list...A ton of unknowns

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:07 pm 

My late round EDGE player I am watching is Justin Hollins Oregon. My guess is he is a 6th or 7th rounder. Has the explosiveness but needs work ( a lot of work) on his technique.

While not an EDGE my other player I have a bro crush on is Isaiah Johnson, CB, Houston. Please, please draft him Steelers. Does not have the ball skills of Rock-Ya sin but if they want a player to play press man on the outside, Johnson is very good and will be there in the 4th or 5th rounds. But only if the Steelers play hi mas press man. He would suck ( and does) in off man.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:23 pm 

jebrick wrote:
My late round EDGE player I am watching is Justin Hollins Oregon. My guess is he is a 6th or 7th rounder. Has the explosiveness but needs work ( a lot of work) on his technique.

While not an EDGE my other player I have a bro crush on is Isaiah Johnson, CB, Houston. Please, please draft him Steelers. Does not have the ball skills of Rock-Ya sin but if they want a player to play press man on the outside, Johnson is very good and will be there in the 4th or 5th rounds. But only if the Steelers play hi mas press man. He would suck ( and does) in off man.

I actually love Hollins...I think he may be able to play both inside and outside

Love the length
Love the athleticism
He can actually cover pretty damn well
Great hips for a 6-5 player

I actually compared Johnson to Ike Taylor.

So yep I am buying what your selling here.

Tre Watson Maryland/Illinois is a player I really like....Great fit in a chase role inside 34
Elite cover skills and feel for passing game

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:13 pm 

FC, I'm not mocking you, just clarifying... you mean the "ready-made, big conference vetted, not strictly 4-3 DE types in this draft who aren't a top 30 pick" are a dumpster fire, right? Because I think that's sorta true. The less vetted/polished guys are pretty good, though. In some ways, better than usual.

I think there is no problem finding a CB in this draft or a pass rusher. WR is out of this world. There are some good DL. The Mack LB scene after the top 15 is... not good. Haven't seen a safety yet who is a game-changer. TE has some good talent that might fit in PIT. QB is super thin. I have barely looked at OL, because it might be the position of least need.

I mean, all things considered, 3-4 EDGE isn't the worst thing about this class.

I think the spread game in college is kind of ruining defensive prospects; It's not an original thought, but I', saying it again.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:36 am 

Almost all of the OLB EDGE players in this draft, after the six I listed, have almost no bend. Even OX has not much but he is technically very good and can set the edge. That is one reason that I really love Polite and would seriously consider him in the 1st. Even over Bush or Wilson. I think the talent just drops off a cliff after these 6. Not sure you would find a Chick replacement without several years of work.

@FC No issues with me. I love these conversations because I always learn about new players. Sweat will change my mind with his 3 cone drill at the combine. I expect he will be in the mid 7s. no where near 7.10. I see Sweat and Ferguson as pure hand on the ground DEs because they have no hip movement and seem to be challenged to move laterally or turn their hips.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:27 pm 

I have only one that I know of other than those mentioned who is bendy and might make the cut. Still early, and I might find a guy or two elsewhere. Seen some really great underclassmen, though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:46 pm 

Quote:
FC, I'm not mocking you, just clarifying... you mean the "ready-made, big conference vetted, not strictly 4-3 DE types in this draft who aren't a top 30 pick" are a dumpster fire, right? Because I think that's sorta true. The less vetted/polished guys are pretty good, though. In some ways, better than usual.

I have pondered this for a day and a half. I really hate the pass rushing class.

I dont buy into Nick Bosa.
I really like Josh Allen
Jachai Polite is going to be a star or a bust

A player like Joe Jackson from Miami sums up the pass rushers for me.

He flashes 1st round potential several plays
He flashes undrafted free agent play the next several plays.

To answer your question...I bet there are 5-8 stud pass rushers drafted after the Steelers pick in the 1st round...I cannot identify said players because the lack of consistency in this class is inconceivable

I have been vetting players for awhile. This rush class is maddening

Another thing let me get this out early...I want no parts of Devin Bush

Bush is a great jump on the pile player who wlll flash highlight skills left and right. I struggle drafting a player who never broke 50 solo tackles in a season. A player who created one...I said one turnover in college. A player who lacks the length(Under 30 inch arm length) to cover or take on blockers. He is a great unblocked blitzer. He can chase like a cheetah

He doesn't have the length to be compared to Leonard or Shazier

5-11 222 He is Troy Polamula sized

Plus he signed with Drew Rosenhaus and I dont want to deal with that slimey motherfucker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:46 pm 

What is the thought on Derick Roberson OLB, Sam Houston State. I have been trying to find some film on him

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:44 pm 

http://www.espn.com/espn/wire/_/section/ncf/id/25638305

He played in the Shrine game brick. Not sure if you recorded that and if not

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-s ... vi-BBSsdqc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:50 am 

FC wrote:
Another thing let me get this out early...I want no parts of Devin Bush

Bush is a great jump on the pile player who wlll flash highlight skills left and right. I struggle drafting a player who never broke 50 solo tackles in a season. A player who created one...I said one turnover in college. A player who lacks the length(Under 30 inch arm length) to cover or take on blockers. He is a great unblocked blitzer. He can chase like a cheetah

He doesn't have the length to be compared to Leonard or Shazier

5-11 222 He is Troy Polamula sized

Plus he signed with Drew Rosenhaus and I dont want to deal with that slimey motherfucker

Boy do I have a LB for you... and you can bet your ass I tell no one before the board draft.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:47 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:
http://www.espn.com/espn/wire/_/section/ncf/id/25638305

He played in the Shrine game brick. Not sure if you recorded that and if not

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-s ... vi-BBSsdqc

I found those but what I can't find is actual game film of him. I do not really count the Shrine game as high since they are playing some vanilla defense.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:05 pm 

jebrick wrote:
I found those but what I can't find is actual game film of him. I do not really count the Shrine game as high since they are playing some vanilla defense.

Roberson is #49