It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CFB season discussion
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:25 am 

The worst part about ND-Michigan opening weekend is that no matter who won, they'd be overhyped.

Side note, fuck preseason rankings. They get too much weight. If the first set of rankings didn't come out until week 2, would teams like Penn State or Michigan State be ranked? Debatable, especially with Penn State.

Would a team like UCF only have been 21?

It's mitigated somewhat with the playoff, but it still matters for the hype machine and "quality of wins" analysis. All they do is serve to give the media darlings a head start or the non-darlings a handicap.

Other takeaways (I, unfortunately, didn't get to watch a ton of the games all the way through):

- Love the UCF QB. Don't know how well he'll translate to NFL (small), but he's talented and just shows up in big games and big moments.
- Joe Bachie is something. What a play to seal the game. Haven't watched him much before this game.
- Not sure why there is or ever was a debate between Tua and Hurts, and I think tonight's game showed why it was dumb, quality of opponent aside.
- Yawn at teams scheduling Furman, Austin Peay, etc for week 1. Unoriginal take, I know, but CFB is worse for these kinds of games, especially on opening weekend.
- Shea Patterson is a dog. Not sure if WFB having him #4 QB for 2019 draft is more telling about WFB or the class.
- Everything about Arcega-Whiteside (WR, Stanford) impressed the hell out of me. Upside is Michael Thomas.

Post subject: Re: CFB season discussion
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:55 am 

I didn’t watch any game from start to finish but a few observations

-I too hate my bulldogs scheduling these Austin peay games. The Georgia spring game was more entertaining. It should be mandatory power 5 teams can schedule only other power 5 teams.

-that being said the Buckeyes rudely dropped 77 on a bad Oregon st squad. Got my afternoon nap in during this one after yet another bad round of golf this morning

-which brings me to another point. Injuries and penalties out of control these games are way too long

-Neither Auburn or Washington impressed me.. some NFL talent on the field but that was one sloppy football game. Auburn didn’t win as much as Washington lost. Maybe Auburn will pick iit up as season goes along but im not sweating them

-hate harbaugh and Michigan with a passion so glad the Irish won. Come to think of it I don’t care for Brian Kelly either but my angst toward my Michigan loving in laws trumps all

-back to my point about games being too long even the worst announcer in college football Chris Fowler pointed out the 3rd quarter of the Bama game was never ending.

- Domino effect of Fowler in the booth is an even worse Reece Davis doing game day. Someone get that dude a speech therapist

-time for lee corso to retire. Should’ve happened years ago

- back to the Bama game. ‘Tua the real deal. Dig him

- which brings me to saban blowing up on the tranny sideline reporter when she asked about the qb situation following the game. Lighten up Francis. Just say they’re both going to play. No need to get all cranky with the tranny. What a poor winner that guy is

- dvr is a great invention

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:18 am 

SteelKnife wrote:

- Love the UCF QB. Don't know how well he'll translate to NFL (small), but he's talented and just shows up in big games and big moments.
He played at Mililani High School in Hawaii. I attended that school for 9th 10th and 11th grades (87-90). I still keep in contact with some of the coaching staff and friends from the Islands. He was a big deal last season when they had that great run. I will keep an eye on him this season as well. Onto a less fun topic - Mililani Trojans got worked over by St. John Bosco on Friday night. I was able to watch most of the game with the FoxSportsGo app running through a firestick. St John Bosco has some speed and talent on that roster I would watch them as a high school team again.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:39 am 

Is it time yet to stop declaring Jim Harbaugh a “great” football coach?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:06 am 

Jobus Rum wrote:
Is it time yet to stop declaring Jim Harbaugh a “great” football coach?

His signature win so far at Michigan is beating #8 Wisconsin in 2016. He has done a whole lotta nothing up there. The fans wanted him since he was a Michigan Man. Maybe they should get an Ohio State man like when Bo was there and they were a good team.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:59 pm 

Burrow has thrown some dimes. If his WRs could catch his stat line would look better.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:29 pm 

LSU:

+Burrow. Stat line doesn't reflect it (drops, etc), but he made some key throws, despite not having a ton of time.
+Brosette. If you didn't know otherwise, you couldn't tell him apart from Guice in this game.
+Run blocking was mostly superb, but it was also well schemed (Brosette's first TD run was just a beautiful play call).
+Cole Tracy. Oh my God. We have a kicker after last year's 16/27 (long of 47) nightmare.
+Greedy Williams is what we thought he was. Grant Delpit pleasant surprise.
+Devin White. All aboard his hype train. Kid is a player. All over the field. Leader.
+Rashard Lawrence was a monster in the first half, but tired (not sure if he came out but he got quiet after making several splash plays early; would need to re-watch).
+Jacob Phillips. Sophomore. Will continue to grow. Already a playmaker. True sophomore. Possible future 1st rounder if character concerns don't push him down. Great size/speed combo.

- WRs (except for Jefferson). Too many drops. Where were you Giles?
- Pass rush. Unless Miami blockers blew their assignments, nothing. Anytime Miami OL locked on, nothing. That said, Miami OL is massive -- 312, 320, 315, 296, 350. But all FR/So. Concerning.
- Fulton. Picked on all night. Grabby. Mistimed. Rust?
- Pass blocking. Allowed too much pressure far too quickly and too often.
- Tackling, especially first half. So much free yardage.
- Went prevent offense way too early.

Still not convinced on the offense. Want to see what it looks like vs a team that says "you can't pass on us, so we're selling out on your run."

As for Miami...won't be as detailed. Rosier is not going to carry that team anywhere. Just a guy. Team in general massively overhyped.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:41 pm 

At least Michigan alumni love the direction Harbs has their program headed in. Man, I wish they'd go ahead and appoint him coach for life.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:51 pm 

Ice wrote:
At least Michigan alumni love the direction Harbs has their program headed in. Man, I wish they'd go ahead and appoint him coach for life.

Yessir :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:09 pm 

I think there's a decent argument that Harbaugh is the 5th best coach in the B1G.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:27 pm 

SteelKnife wrote:
I think there's a decent argument that Harbaugh is the 5th best coach in the B1G.

I wouldn’t put him any higher than 5th...that’s for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:12 pm 

#freeBraylon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:05 pm 

Looks like Todd Haley is Pitt’s OC.

Pickett is supposed to be the man at QB.

He hasn’t been allowed to throw a pass downfield all game long.

Even trailing 36-6, they’re having him throw little swing passes.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:41 am 

I hope every sPitter here felt that deep and proper depth of the beat down that occurred at Heinz tonight.

The state of the sPitt program program under Patty boy is wonderful :)

Never ever has there been worse fans in CFB than the dumb yinzers who operated today in the rain.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:08 am 

Penn State moved to 35-17-2 vs Pitt since the end of WWII with 25 of those wins being blow outs.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:26 pm 

I was trying to figure out if I was disappointed in Georgia or impressed with South Carolina.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:45 am 

ironzabo wrote:
I hope every sPitter here felt that deep and proper depth of the beat down that occurred at Heinz tonight.

The state of the sPitt program program under Patty boy is wonderful :)

Never ever has there been worse fans in CFB than the dumb yinzers who operated today in the rain.

In the late 1990s, Pitt's then-AD decided that we were going to become a basketball school. Hence the replacement of Pitt Stadium with the Petersen Events Center, and the move to a time share in a cavernous, never-full Heinz Field. Since then, there have been occasional flashes (decent record against Clemson last few years, and a really fun welcome back to the rivalry to Penn State a couple years back come to mind recently), but I don't think it will be possible to even sustain being competitive in the long term under this arrangement.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:19 am 

:shock: :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:45 pm 

Very impressed with Garrett Brumfield OG LSU. He will go in the 1st so not on the Steeler's radar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:36 pm 

jebrick wrote:
Very impressed with Garrett Brumfield OG LSU. He will go in the 1st so not on the Steeler's radar

I have a bad habit of focusing on skill positions to the expense of trenches, so I'll make sure to key on him the next few games.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:23 pm 

By the way, if Stidham is a top QB in this class, this class must be terrible. Nothing about him impresses me.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:53 pm 

Greedy Williams and Devin White should both be top 10 picks.

Delpit (Safety) should be one in 2020.

I've seen enough of Kristian Fulton (CB) and Jonathan Giles. Fulton has been picked on every game. Giles can't get open and shows a serious lack of effort.

I watched a bit of Brumfeld today. Impressive, but he got hurt. Hopefully not too serious.

Jaylon Ferguson (Louisiana Tech) was one of the best players on the field tonight for either team.

Generally speaking, I still think we're a 2-3 loss team this season. I don't think we come within 20 points of Bama. Our WRs can't get open, our OL can't block, and we can't get pressure. We struggle vs QBs with mobility. That is a recipe for disaster vs Alabama.

I think we stand a good shot vs Georgia. If, and it's a big if, we can beat Georgia and only drop to Alabama, you have to put us in the top 4.

LSU is a better team than Oklahoma, FWIW.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:25 am 

SP wrote:
Penn State moved to 35-17-2 vs Pitt since the end of WWII with 25 of those wins being blow outs.

Why does that matter? All the games before that count just as much.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:17 pm 

LSU is a top 5 team in the country, I don't care what the 1 loss says. Trap game against an opponent playing well and giving you their best game on the road.

On a neutral field, I only have Bama and OSU giving more than 3 vs LSU, and Clemson the only other team that should be favored.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:27 am 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... -nfl-draft

Just saw this.
Top 3 pick now, but will this decision cost him when it comes to the draft in the Spring?