BPA

In no order

RB
ILB
OLB
CB

Post subject: Re: 2019 prospects
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:55 am 

RB (Bell's replacement, I don't see contract getting done) (If magical contract happens then drop RB from list completely)
ILB (Bostic is short term answer on one side, Williams is good but not great and Dirty Red likely rotation/depth with Thomas unknown. Need upgrade to position)
G/C (Foster will be 33 next year, Finney may take over but need upgrade on depth then, Pouncey has been 9 years in the league as well)
OLB (Watt will be solid, Dupree word is still out and contract for 2019 isn't guaranteed unless hurt, Chickillo decent, Allen - Adeniyi - Huegelin unknowns)
TE (If McDonald stays healthy still could use upgrade with depth or even someone to push McDonald as starter)
T (Gilbert is 30 and 8 years in the league and has missed time with injuries and sus., Love AV but he's had rough starts to season as well Okorafor and Hawkins are unknowns)
WR (Why not, we do well at drafting them and Brown will be going into 10th season and be 30 in 2019, don't see signs of him slowing down but better safe)

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:01 pm 

Big Steel wrote:
RB (Bell's replacement, I don't see contract getting done) (If magical contract happens then drop RB from list completely)
ILB (Bostic is short term answer on one side, Williams is good but not great and Dirty Red likely rotation/depth with Thomas unknown. Need upgrade to position)
G/C (Foster will be 33 next year, Finney may take over but need upgrade on depth then, Pouncey has been 9 years in the league as well)
OLB (Watt will be solid, Dupree word is still out and contract for 2019 isn't guaranteed unless hurt, Chickillo decent, Allen - Adeniyi - Huegelin unknowns)
TE (If McDonald stays healthy still could use upgrade with depth or even someone to push McDonald as starter)
T (Gilbert is 30 and 8 years in the league and has missed time with injuries and sus., Love AV but he's had rough starts to season as well Okorafor and Hawkins are unknowns)
WR (Why not, we do well at drafting them and Brown will be going into 10th season and be 30 in 2019, don't see signs of him slowing down but better safe)

I'm (after watching the video FC put up) rooting for the kid Morris to be a player at OG by draft time next year. If either he or Finney can step up their game at OC, we may have that covered, and just be looking for depth.

T, they invested a pretty high pick in Chukes (negative play nickname just waiting to happen there), and hopefully Hawkins shows something. They seem to do pretty well developing RT/swing T types.

OLB could definitely be in the early mix. Sucks we have to keep dipping into that damn well with so little tangible success, though.

We draft a late round WR every year we don't go 2-3 on the position, so that's basically a given. Love to see Henderson pan out as a potential WR3 or 4, leaving us with Juju, Washington, Henderson and another, even when Brown (hopefully no time soon) hangs em up.

RB? Could they be looking at a committee of Conner, Ridley/Samuels as a thing if Bell moves to greener pastures? Interesting the Pats seem to have made a move toward the feature back system this draft with Michel. For all that's made about Philly and by committee, Ajayi could easily end up the man there this season. Maybe a consideration in 2019, depends where the FO wants to go.

ILB. I'll wait for some college football to play out, but if the Steelers are drafting in the late 20's again, they may find themselves in a similar no-man's land situation in 2019 to the one they found themselves this season. It might yield similar results, with similar head scratching to teeth gnashing reactions. If it does, I'd say the defense just needs a dynamic player or two. Last couple years, it was at ILB. Troy was dynamic at SS. Rod Woodson was dynamic at CB. Can't be a slave to getting "another of that guy." Collect special players, retool the scheme around them.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:18 pm 

steelmann58 wrote:
best RB
Best OLB
best ILB

Players I really really like at those positions

RB

Bryce Love RB Stanford
Damien Harris RB Alabama
Bennie Snell RB Kentucky

OLB

Clelin Ferrell OLB Clemson
Joe Jackson OLB Miami
Austin Bryant OLB Clemson
Josh Allen OLB Kentucky
Terrell Lewis OLB Alabama
Montez Sweat OLB Mississippi State
Shareef Miller OLB Penn State

ILB

Shaquille Quarterman Miami
Anfernee Jenning Alabama

The list will grow...I believe those players could have been 1st/2nd round picks in 2018

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 1:09 pm 

Two guy I like the FC didn't mention:

Ben Banogu, TCU- Somewhat on the smaller side but a pretty good athlete with really good length.

Carl Granderson, Wyoming- I like him but I think he might be a pure 43 DE, not sure he's athletic enough to be an OLB.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 1:21 pm 

Khalil Hodge, ILB, Buffalo is one I am keeping an eye on this year.
I think Devin White, ILB, LSU will be the top ILB in the draft.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 1:54 pm 

All players mentioned I like

White scares me for two reasons.

He made a ton of tackles for LSU(100+) only 38 were solo.(LSU plays a swarming balls out defense) Its not a major concern
He looks 5-11 230 to me...Players have excelled inside at that size

LSU also had a very under rated defensive line...Not flashy but very dependable

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:51 pm 

Maxx Crosby. If he comes out in 2019, he's going to be shooting up the charts. 6041 265lbs, 57 tackles, 16.5 TFL, 11 sacks... as a redshirt sophomore.

Sutton Smith will be same sort of thing-- could come out, but I think he's too small to be a pure EDGE. Kind of like Shaquem Griffin or Deion Jones.

RB I like in 2019... Duke Catalon, Houston.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 11:17 pm 

Kentucky redshirt senior edge rusher Denzil Ware will transfer as a graduate.

Ware (6'2/255) ranked second on the team in TFL (9.0) and third in sacks (6.5) last year. He also had two forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries. A potential NFL-caliber talent who's already accrued 27 TFL in 35 games against SEC competition, Ware will be a valuable commodity on college football's free agent circuit.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 7:37 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Maxx Crosby. If he comes out in 2019, he's going to be shooting up the charts. 6041 265lbs, 57 tackles, 16.5 TFL, 11 sacks... as a redshirt sophomore.

Sutton Smith will be same sort of thing-- could come out, but I think he's too small to be a pure EDGE. Kind of like Shaquem Griffin or Deion Jones.

RB I like in 2019... Duke Catalon, Houston.

Just found out Catalon left the team... no explanation.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:06 am 

Karan Higdon I think could be on their radar. Rodney Anderson. Devin White. Jesse Burkett.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 12:56 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Karan Higdon I think could be on their radar. Rodney Anderson. Devin White. Jesse Burkett.

Have a friend who is a scout and got to watch them practice for their bowl game, he said he came away super impressed with Higdon and think he could be primed for a huge year.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 3:08 pm 

smithessmokin wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:

Have a friend who is a scout and got to watch them practice for their bowl game, he said he came away super impressed with Higdon and think he could be primed for a huge year.

According to 247Sports, best *ichigan RB since... Fitzgerald Toussaint.