It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My Last Mock
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:51 pm 

I want to be clear that this is what I would do if I'm the Steelers; I try like hell to find a trade partner (in the top 10 picks) who wants to move up and use 2nd & 3rd to do it. I'm firm believer in this draft (especially where we draft) that you trade up to get a player you covet or you trade down and get more picks. In this scenario, the Colts trade up to snag one of the OL still on the board such as Isaiah Wynn, Will Hernandez, James Daniels, Frank Ragnow, or Billy Price. The Colts give up pick 36 and 67 to do so. I read on Rotoworld that there could be as many as three centers taken in first round and potentially 9 OL taken overall. It's a great year for OL and if the Colts go defense #6 they will need to add one of the blue chippers to their OL.

2.36- Jessie Bates FS Wake Forest or Justin Reid FS Stanford
While I understand that Bates & Reid are getting first round consideration, I think the Steelers are the only team that are desperate for free safety help. I can take a calculated gamble that one of these guys will still be here at pick 36. I think both are still here and I take Bates because of the upside he brings to the table.

2.60- Malik Jefferson LB Texas
I've been a big fan all draft season and I think he is here when the Steelers pick. Jefferson tested great which was my fist big concern when I looked at his tape. I think Tomlin sees a guy who can be a fixture on the defense for the long haul. Jefferson brings some pop when he comes down for the tackle and I think he's better in coverage than most give him credit for.

3.67- Tim Settle DT Virginia Tech
Another super sophomore who declared early for the draft. I remember getting absolutely bullied and gashed in the run game to close out the year. While I still think Hargrave can be a good player, I'm drafting some insurance here. Settle is a massive human being with good quickness for a guy his size. I definitely think his best football is well ahead of him.

3.92- Antonio Callaway WR Florida
Yeah, I know....a bit of head scratcher, but let me plead my case. Callaway is easily one of the most talented WRs in a class that does not have many for sure options at the position. He is worth the gamble. He's been working with Antonio Brown this offseason and the team already knows how to get a WR straight with the Martavis Bryant situation. Callaway has game changing speed and if he stays clean Pittsburgh would look like geniuses if they took the risk. Not to mention, this WR group is super thin with Eli Rogers going down and the Steelers one injury away from starting Darius Heyward-Bey.

5.148- Holton Hill CB Texas
While CB is getting to be a very crowded room, I don't think you can ever stop adding quality CBs to a team with the way the game is in today's NFL. While Hill comes with some off the field baggage, he reminds me of a classic Steelers CB. He can play both zone/man and he is a physical player against the run. Another personal favorite of mine. Another guy who I think will be a huge steal in a few years.

5.165- Matthew Thomas LB Florida State
Another really talented player who got lost in the abysmal season down in Tallahassee this year. Thomas is long and has good build while doing a real good job as a off the ball LB prospect. Thomas will be bring some more speed and athleticism to the position group and challenge our current depth.

7.220- Olasunkanmi Adeniyi LB Toledo
Another favorite of mine and Drama/77 (I forget which one of you like him). Adeniyi is one of the guys who should have stayed another year, but comes in as a guy who could challenge the Steelers backups. I think once he gets to an NFL weight program and gets stronger, I think he profiles as a good backup and decent spot starter down the road.

7.246- Jordan Mailata OT Austrailia
This guy just has so much potential there's no way I don't draft him and develop him behind the scenes. However, I do believe that are a good amount OL in this class so who knows. Gilbert seems to get dinged every year and that 4 game suspension he received this year could double if he gets in trouble again.

I understand I didn't address RB at all in this draft, but I would ride Bell's wheels off the wagon for one more year and take a rookie in 2019. Who knows, the Steelers and Bell may be able to reach a deal before the deadline. A lot of the guys I took in this mock will most likely have minimal roles unless the team gets decimated by injuries. On the other hand, I think the first four picks all could be valuable role players towards the end of the season.

Post subject: Re: My Last Mock
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:00 pm 

Good draft for a last draft smith. It was Drama that likes Adeniyi. Also I think B2B is a fan. Great haul brutha.

Calloway can easily be the fourth WR behind AB, Smith-Schuster and Bryant. Easily! Regardless of his off the field transgressions Calloway is easily a 1st RND talent and an absolute steal in the late 3rd RND.

Hill is a stud. Hill is underrated and will prove to be a steal on Day 3 unless someone is smart and takes him on day 2. Thomas is a Guy I liked early on. Another underrated player that can contribute immediately in ST's. I do agree the rugby kid is intriguing. I think he's at least a few years away from being anything resembling an NFL OT. I could be wrong. In fact Im wrong a lot. That said, I think He's a UDFA and Look at Richardson, Bright, Leonard, Harrison as OLine prospects in the 7th RND.

I can definitely see 4-5 picks of this mock contributing in their rookie season. Especially Calloway.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:15 pm 

didn't Calloway fail a drug test at the combine?

no way we choose him in any round

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:26 am 

RD 1 - Lorenzo Carter OLB / Evans ILB
RD 2 - Jessie Bates S
RD 3 - Donta Pettis WR/RS
RD 5A - Kevin Ballage / Kerron Johnson
RD 5B - Skia Moore
RD 7A - Jordon Mailata OL
RD 7B - Joshua Frazier DL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:16 am 

Quote:
@AdamSchefter
Former Florida WR Antonio Callaway -- who some considered as talented as any WR in this draft -- tested positive for marijuana at the combine, NFL sources told ESPN.

Callaway’s new agent Malki Kawa said it was for a diluted sample. Callaway hired Kawa about two weeks ago. https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status ... story.html
Likely removes all doubt Calloway is a DND for Steelers

Quote:
@RapSheet
A talented player teams have been doing homework on is #Florida WR Antonio Callaway. Through his agent, Callaway confirmed his drug test sample at the NFL Combine came back diluted. Callaway has told those close to him he was over-hydrated and will address the issue with teams. https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/988 ... story.html

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:34 am 

Callaway is very talented but in the running for Red Flag gold metal.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:45 am 

Read somewhere that Callaway is training with Antonio Brown. AB said to see a lot of himself in Callaway...presumably talent wise.
I dig Callaway. IMO he's the best WR in this draft. He's a true playmaker. He won't be a Steeler.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:58 am 

I'm actually not the biggest Ola Adeniyi fan. I like Hill the CB a lot, though. I'd add Chris Warren III or Ryan Nall near the end of this draft and a different EDGE, but I think it's a good draft.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:39 am 

jebrick wrote:

Reasonably sure Arden "whatever I did is so bad I'm not even going to address it" Key has that one locked up.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:40 am 

I like both Bates and Reid, would take Reid at 28 but like trade back for Bates.

No thanks on Jefferson, his knocks on not being able to process plays and his desire make him the exact opposite we need at LB.

Callaway came up with positive test at the combine (diluted positive) so he'll drop even more and no thanks to many other solid receivers out there.

Pretty much meh after that. Mailata would be worth a good look with last pick.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:03 am 

Ice wrote:
jebrick wrote:

Reasonably sure Arden "whatever I did is so bad I'm not even going to address it" Key has that one locked up.

Lots of contenders.

Ebenezer Ogundeko
Chase Sutton
Antonio Callaway
Tavares Martin
Desmond Harrison

and many more

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:03 pm 

But how many of those also failed the combine drug test?